V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I'm new to the forum. My first Harley was a 1990 FXRS, I bought in '92. Had to sell it due to a divorce a few years later. Loved that bike and still have some of the best memories from that time. Since then, I've had over 60 bikes (not all Harley's) and never another FXR. I've gone every direction with the dyna platform and baggers. My main travel bike right now is a '93 FXDWG, that I'm very comfortable on. But, in 30 years I havent been able to get rid of the FXR bug. I just purchased a '90 FXRS-Convertible, but the bags and screen are long gone. I'm getting rid of all my other bikes and going to be down to the WG and FXR.

My question is: Given those two bikes, should I just keep taking trips on the WG and use the FXR for commuting/back road rides? Or the reverse, adding an FXRT fairing and lowers to use the FXR as my long haul scooter?

I know a lot of people are going to say it's personal preference, but my main concern is my remembering only the great parts of my old FXR and being snapped back to reality after dropping a bunch of cash setting it up for the road?
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Fuel tank

Here is a pic of my FXDWG I now travel on. No signals, switch housings etc. Running lights and starter are about it. Just in comparison to the completely Stock FXRS I would be starting with.
Thanks for your experience and advice.

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg,
After having mostly TC's, after my FXR, I prefer the feedback of the EVO WG . So, I'm OK with the maintenance that goes with the EVO's. Are there fastener's or issues specific to the FXR that would suggest I stay with the WG for long trips? Does anyone know the effects or things I might encounter adding weight of a fairing and lowers on the FXR? Better shocks and fork springs?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
My first HD was a new 1990 FXRConv. Mild Crane cam keyed for torque and upgraded ignition. Ran like a dream. Wish I still had it. I'd be looking for original bags and windshield on ebay.

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Steve,
I kinda started thinking the same thing. Seems like bags are mostly thrashed and as pricey as FXRP or FXRT hard bags. I'll have to see what I can find. I'm still interested in the benefits of an FXRT fairing though? Not for the club thing, just stock looking wind protection. Just not sure its worth the hassle or money.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I purchased the 1985 FXRS that was to become "The Moonraker", I was in my 30's. I also rode the FXRD that was on the floor at C&S Harley Davidson at the time. Back then, referring to the RD...I told Phil ( the owner).."I'm not old enough to need all this".
I'm in my 70's now, and would likely make a different choice if I were doing those test rides today. As the years have passed though, I have yet to find a bike I would rather own than my '85 FXRS. Over the years, to accommodate my long-riding passion..I've added a Wind Vest a Mustang touring seat and Iron Bags. Also put Pro-Action shocks on her. I'm on my second motor, a bone-stock 80" "crate motor" with S&S carb and aftermarket pipes, but otherwise left alone.
I'm at 309,000 mi, and counting. I've done several solo cross country runs, and 700 mi days are not a problem.

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guido,
Thanks for the insight. My riding partner has only owned one bike his whole life, a 1991 Softail. He's on his second motor and when they pulled the first one apart at 106,000, there actually was no need because it was still perfect due to regular maintenance. I might have that kind of mileage on a bike if I would just keep one long enough! I hope I'm on that path now. I usually save the 700 miles days for when I'm missing the homestead towards the end of a ride, but thats a good benchmark. Thanks again and ride safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the '94 FXRP was a windshield model from the factory. I bought it in 2013 in extremely rough condition and stripped it and restored it over the next year. Had too many bikes in the garage, plus I enjoyed riding my wife's FXR3 more, so I sold it. We owned the FXR3 for 19 years and sold it last November. At 71 I still have my FLHR and figure I still have 5 years of riding in me.

Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Plant

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PZN,
Those both are beautiful bikes. I'm partial to your FXRP though! Good on ya for still riding, keep it up as long as you can. I find the older I get, the less I like pushing heavy ass bikes around. Getting ready to get rid of my 2011 FLHTUC. My wife is done riding. I'm picking up the FXRS this week, so when I make a final decision i'll post it. Thanks to all for the input. One thing for certain I know I love my EVO swing arm bikes!

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TT,
You prefer hot rod FXR's on local runs, or have an alternate setup for trips? If not, i guess thats a vote for narrow, tall and fast? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
We are all different,,, and we do what we want, can afford or swing,,, or in the best case,,, exactly what we want....
So,, whatever you do with your fxr,, i am very happy for you,,, i am glad you have one,, they are an awesome base for a very quick handling, high fun factor bike,,, if you see an fxrt,, where the fxr was, well that's you,, just enjoy it. Most wives aren't happy,, with the bike,, ever, no matter what..

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TT,
You nailed it. I'll see how I feel when I get back from picking it up? And, what I see when I'm in the garage. Regardless, I really appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guido,
Thanks for the insight. My riding partner has only owned one bike his whole life, a 1991 Softail. He's on his second motor and when they pulled the first one apart at 106,000, there actually was no need because it was still perfect due to regular maintenance. I might have that kind of mileage on a bike if I would just keep one long enough! I hope I'm on that path now. I usually save the 700 miles days for when I'm missing the homestead towards the end of a ride, but thats a good benchmark. Thanks again and ride safe.
I’ve had several Harleys and 3 metric cruisers, but now? Of all those bikes (Harleys) I must confess, the most comfortable and best handling Harley I’ve had is the 2000 Harley Davidson Softail Springer, with almost 15k in OEM everything chromed by the original owner who was a doctor and could afford it. This Harley has 24000 original miles on it now, this bike is such a joy to ride around town or on the highway cruising at 70 MPH hours.. just wanted to share the Softail story since I noticed your story! Keep riding and stay healthy brother !!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 42 Posts