V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting on a chrome master cylinder cover on my Heritage, and managed to round off both the cheap torx bit i was using...AND...the torx fastener holding the running board bracket on.
Whats the best torx tools i can buy ? Why Harley chose this type of fastener is beyond me.:badmood:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
First make sure your using righy size t-25s will work in t27 but will strip it too. I bought a set of Leslie from Sears $20+. American made.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
They use them because they work well in autoloading screw guns.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I think torx bits are some of the best fastners out other than the 4 point screw heads like used in decking. As already stated be sure you have the right size when putting in a screw or you will strip it. I have a set of Stanley Torx bits and they are great.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I think torx bits are some of the best fastners out other than the 4 point screw heads like used in decking. As already stated be sure you have the right size when putting in a screw or you will strip it. I have a set of Stanley Torx bits and they are great.
I think torq are supposed to have more gripping area. I do thing they use them for manufactoring though.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
The 4 point deck screw I am referring to is almost impossible to strip if you are using the right size. I like them alot. When I worked on my deck last fall that is what I used when I put down new boards and I never had one screw strip out. It was great.

I do like the torx for the larger gripping space as you stated. It probably is as stated a manufacturing thing for ease of driving in screws.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
The 4 point deck are just a square recess right? Probably less likely to stip cause more material, so stroner. With Allen and Torq theres not much faster left around the bit. Don't know just rambling board.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
To make jobs simple all my specialty tools , allens, torx, pullers, etc, are all snap on. Basic hand tools are Sears, S&K and so on. Got tired of messing things up with the cheap stuff.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
berserker said:
The 4 point deck are just a square recess right? Probably less likely to stip cause more material, so stroner. With Allen and Torq theres not much faster left around the bit. Don't know just rambling board.
It is just a basic Square countersink. If you get the stainless ones there is no worries of rust on them bad boys either. Deck will rot down and the screws would still be fine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
06Heritage said:
I was putting on a chrome master cylinder cover on my Heritage, and managed to round off both the cheap torx bit i was using...AND...the torx fastener holding the running board bracket on.
Whats the best torx tools i can buy ? Why Harley chose this type of fastener is beyond me.:badmood:
berserker said:
First make sure your using righy size t-25s will work in t27 but will strip it too. I bought a set of Leslie from Sears $20+. American made.
I did the same thing and was using the right size. Never heard of Leslie but I got Craftsman from Sears and that fixed it. They still rust if you don't take care of them.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
'06 Heritage,

The answers are very simple.
Torx head fasteners are far superior as compared to the age old std allen head.

As for the tool to use. Either Snap-On or MAC. Anything else makes you prone to "stripping" of the screw or bit (or both).

Tom

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
there are 2 factors
1 -the tool should be of good quality yeah i own a gazzillion buck in snap-on but i also use some craftsman they all hold the same warranty

2- the grade of screw or fastner they are graded differently some being stronger some being weaker ie: cheaper

with any chrome hardware i always chase my threads and run a tap down the hole.
chrome does and a thin layer or material to the item
i prefer stainless.. i set up a small bench grinder with a polishing wheel makes it nice and shiny :brows:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Pop's Cycle said:
I did the same thing and was using the right size. Never heard of Leslie but I got Craftsman from Sears and that fixed it. They still rust if you don't take care of them.
The sears here didn't have t27 in set. They sold Leslie in another section. I think they may be used in industry, we got Leslie(sp?) catalog at work.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
It's Lisle, and they are an automotive tool manufacturer. THey make a lot of specialty tools as well as more basic stuff.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Guys torx or not this is the greatest little tool set $$$ can buy for working on your bike. Plus it is easy to take with you check it out. !!!!
http://www.newmantools.com/wfmc.htm

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I've got the Craftsman set and when I run into a size I don't have (like the T-27) I just buy the Lisle from the local auto parts store as a single.
Gotta be a real auto parts store, though, not one of those "pretty" places...

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Sears Craftsman, and Snap On only!

Be careful as Sears also sells a lower quality tool that does not bear the Craftsman name!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Bad link...sorry.

Look up OTC tools on the web. They can be had at low prices and are of the highest quality. If purchased through NAPA they come with a lifetime warranty. I've looked around at Sears and other places, Snap-on for $200, sears doesn't sell an entire set under full warranty.

OTC $30.00

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Somebody straighten me out here. Have the 2 1/4" bolts that hold the foot boards to the mounts been changed to torx??? They used to be allen's but haven't worked on any new stuff in the last 3-4 years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts