V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a gazillion threads about which is the best tire for a bagger. But I am looking for specific requirements out of the tires.

I currently run Metzler ME880 and I like them however, tread life sucks...only getting around 10K on the rear.:yikes:

What I'm looking for is good wet road traction, good handling on twisties, won't jerk the handlebars out of your hands on rain grooved roads, to get more than 10K per tire and have a load rating for a bagger and riding 2 up....

Am I wanting to much

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
joeschmoe said:
I know there has been a gazillion threads about which is the best tire for a bagger. But I am looking for specific requirements out of the tires.

I currently run Metzler ME880 and I like them however, tread life sucks...only getting around 10K on the rear.:yikes:

What I'm looking for is good wet road traction, good handling on twisties, won't jerk the handlebars out of your hands on rain grooved roads, to get more than 10K per tire and have a load rating for a bagger and riding 2 up....

Am I wanting to much
Yes, you are asking too much. As performance improves, mileage declines. Fact of life. BTW, I think 10K on a loaded bagger's rear tire is pretty good!

Lefty

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Lefty said:
Yes, you are asking too much. As performance improves, mileage declines. Fact of life. BTW, I think 10K on a loaded bagger's rear tire is pretty good!

Lefty
@gree: I don't get 10k out of mine. I figure a new tire is cheap insurance.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I'm happy with my E3's (did not like the Metz), but I don't expect to see more than 10,000 miles out of the rear.

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
Road Glider said:
@gree: I don't get 10k out of mine. I figure a new tire is cheap insurance.
Ditto. I barely got 5k out of the Pirelli I just replaced (hated it, btw). Admittedly, that's on the low side for mileage, but I think 10K is asking a lot.

I'm running a Kenda Kruz on the rear right now. I only have about 200 miles on it so far, but I like it. And only 60 bucks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been down this path...looking for the same characteristics for my Road Glide. I eventually tried Continental Milestones and I LOVE them. They handle like a dream and I (unfortunately) rode through a couple of monsoons without a twitch.

I will tell you that my primary goal was increased tire life while still getting a good ride...but I got the same miles out of the Contis as I did the Metzlers (less than 10K for me)...but the ride is so superior, I don't mind.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
i'll second that....

SteveDD said:
I have been down this path...looking for the same characteristics for my Road Glide. I eventually tried Continental Milestones and I LOVE them. They handle like a dream and I (unfortunately) rode through a couple of monsoons without a twitch.

I will tell you that my primary goal was increased tire life while still getting a good ride...but I got the same miles out of the Contis as I did the Metzlers (less than 10K for me)...but the ride is so superior, I don't mind.
second hand info though........ my neighbor is running these tires...he loves them.said they are the best tires he has ever rode on!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I use Michelin Commanders and my rear tire has about 10-11k now but its basically worn out. I feel they are a huge improvement over the Dunlaps in ride quality and wet traction.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Here is my experience with this subject...

The bike came new with the stock Dunlops... They were "OK". The front lasted 20K (the sidewalls started to crack, the tread depth wasn't anything to worry about yet) and the rear lasted just over 10K.

Upon recomendation of my independent garage, the rear was replaced with a Continental Milestone. It lasted 10K.

The next change (now 20K total) placed an Avon Venom on the front and another Conti on the rear. AWESOME COMBINATION (again, my indy recomended it). I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS COMBO!

Things changed:
The rear this time lasted only 7500 or so... Same with the next rear Conti... Plenty of tread on the sides, the middle was GONE...

Now I am at about 35k miles and 2/32" on the front (Avon) and 1/32" rear (Continental Milestone) and I am in need off all new rubber again....

Question: Why 10K out of some rear tires and less from others?
Answer: Riding environment. The first 20K was mostly "back roads" and little Interstate Travel. Lately I have been doing much more Interstate, flat, no turns or curves, riding... Hence, no tread left on the center of the tire.

This time I am going to give the Michelin Commanders a try. Why? Simple. When on a road trip tire problems occur. I just returned from a trip that started in Frederick, Md. Stopped in Sturgis, SD and then to Colorado Springs. Finally back home. The first two days found 3 flat tires (out of 28 bikes).

If you have the ability to take the wheel off the bike, and have a replacement tire in hand, they will change it for you. That is not always an option. Try rolling into a Harley Dealer with a flat tire (other than factory Dunlops) and getting any service without having matching tires. They won't help you out unless you ride out with a matching set. That also depends on what they have in stock. They should have the Michelin's in stock since they are now approved... Which is why I am giving the Michelin's a try....

I think I will avoid Interstates from now on...

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts