V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic say’s Metzler’s are stickier than Dunlop’s but Dunlop’s last from 50 to 100% longer. I’ve been following the Metzler VS Dunlop thread and see some claims as high as 18K on the real wheel, but I’m doing good to get 7K with the Dunlop’s. (this is on my FLHTCU) Any opinions on tire wear???

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Your mechanic is generally correct. Some people get more wear out of tires than others, so it's hard to say how long they'll last. Trust me, switch to Metzelers and you'll never want a Dunlop on your bike again. They are that much better.

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Harley Glenn said:
My mechanic say’s Metzler’s are stickier than Dunlop’s but Dunlop’s last from 50 to 100% longer. I’ve been following the Metzler VS Dunlop thread and see some claims as high as 18K on the real wheel, but I’m doing good to get 7K with the Dunlop’s. (this is on my FLHTCU) Any opinions on tire wear???
I heard just the opposite as you....Dunlops are stickier but Metzeler's wear longer. I went with the Metzelers and love them. Sticky enough for my old ass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sjpr13 said:
I heard just the opposite as you....Dunlops are stickier but Metzeler's wear longer. I went with the Metzelers and love them. Sticky enough for my old ass.
By stickier, I mean better traction. Supposedly Metzler’s are softer tires than Dunlop’s and thus the better grip. Softer tires wear faster. Are you saying your getting more wear with Metzler’s than Dunlop’s?

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i have found the metz's do wear quicker, but not by too much. For me there is no going back to dunlops. i just changed on of my friends tires' tonight. It was and 02 RK. The stock went 10,500 to wearbars, metz went 9,000 to wearbar.This is usually what i find to be the norm.When someone ask me what tires i recommend, and they ask how long they will last i tell them stay with stock. If someone want a better rindin tire i say go metz.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
sjpr13 said:
I disagree, Metzelers are a much better handling tire,and they are more sticky than Dunlops by far.I ride in wet conditions freqently, and I can say that Metzelers are great in the rain... Dunlops tend to slip much easier on road paint, manholes, and grates.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Harley Glenn said:
Your Metzler's are wearing better than Dunlop's?
Yes they are. I couldn't get more then 10,000 miles out of the Dunlops. Im past that right now and the rear is still looking good.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I got 11.5k out of my last set of ME880's at least half of which was 2-up...I won't give up the difference in handling either...

·
Registered
509 Posts
clb said:
avon avon avon
You couldn't give me a set of Avons. I had em on a Sporty and they sucked. I went ahead and got another set of dunlops for my RK. I asked here and there and got a lot of folks were saying very good things about the Metzlers but I've had good mileage and riding with the Dunlops so I stayed with them. Thank You everyone for your help. (sorry for hijacking the thread). Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TXCHOP said:
i have found the metz's do wear quicker, but not by too much. For me there is no going back to dunlops. i just changed on of my friends tires' tonight. It was and 02 RK. The stock went 10,500 to wearbars, metz went 9,000 to wearbar.This is usually what i find to be the norm.When someone ask me what tires i recommend, and they ask how long they will last i tell them stay with stock. If someone want a better rindin tire i say go metz.
TXCHOP, finally someone out there with some good advice, thanks. I was under the impression that there would be a significant difference in wear between the Met’z and the Dunlop’s, but if its only a little over 1K, it would make sense to go with a better gripping and handling Metzler. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
I got 11.5k out of my last set of ME880's at least half of which was 2-up...I won't give up the difference in handling either...
I don't know how you guys do it. I'm lucky to get 8K on any set of tires, and I'm not a hard rider. Maybe I change them too soon.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
RKJ said:
You couldn't give me a set of Avons. I had em on a Sporty and they sucked. I went ahead and got another set of dunlops for my RK. I asked here and there and got a lot of folks were saying very good things about the Metzlers but I've had good mileage and riding with the Dunlops so I stayed with them. Thank You everyone for your help. (sorry for hijacking the thread). Joe

i'm interested in which Avons you were running.
i have had my bike for over 15 years and in that time i have run dunlops, Conti's and Avons, oh yeah and a cheng shin (i was too broke to buy a better tire). by far the best tires have been the Avon AM 20 and AM 21, the dunlops you can keep. i tossed the dunlops after doing a complete side slide at 75 mph years ago and have no fuken use for them. i tend to ride aggresively (sp) and the Avons have never let me down. though i have heard the Metz are just as good or better so i may have to check them out.

edited to add: we can talk manufacture all day but until we know exactly which model from each manufacture there are no real comparisons, ie touring compared to sport.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Buy the Metzler's... You will never change back even if you get half the tire life. There is that much difference in the feel of the road. Also, Dunlaps seem to track funny on some bikes. They did on mine real bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rdking2005 said:
Buy the Metzler's... You will never change back even if you get half the tire life. There is that much difference in the feel of the road. Also, Dunlaps seem to track funny on some bikes. They did on mine real bad.
Ok, I’m sold on trying the Metzler’s. Now I just need to start getting everything I need to change them myself. This should be a good way to pass some time while I’m waiting for warmer riding weather. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
shovel13 said:
i'm interested in which Avons you were running.
i have had my bike for over 15 years and in that time i have run dunlops, Conti's and Avons, oh yeah and a cheng shin (i was too broke to buy a better tire). by far the best tires have been the Avon AM 20 and AM 21, the dunlops you can keep. i tossed the dunlops after doing a complete side slide at 75 mph years ago and have no fuken use for them. i tend to ride aggresively (sp) and the Avons have never let me down. though i have heard the Metz are just as good or better so i may have to check them out.

edited to add: we can talk manufacture all day but until we know exactly which model from each manufacture there are no real comparisons, ie touring compared to sport.
They were Roadrunners and you are most likely right, the bikes are competely different. The Avons would get wierd over tar snakes, (it could've been the skinny tires on the Sporty. I didn't like the way they handled in the rain either, nothing too wild I just didn't trust them. Again it may have been the bike, (or the rider) but I didn't get a warm & fuzzy about them. I haven't had any situations with the 402's and am getting good mileage from them. They do fine (for me) in the rain and hold the road just fine for my kind of riding. The Avon's might have had too much air pressure, it could have been just a bad day, and it could have been the bike. I don't know, but to me they didn't perform the way I thought they should and won't have another pair of them. If you are having good luck with them great, but for me they didn't work. Everyon here says the Metzlers are the tire to buy, but I kept seeing less mileage than I felt was ok for me, so again I went with dunlops. I don't really ride agressively, but I don't ride like an old lady either and so far I haven't had any pucker factor situations, If (or when) I do and the Dunlops fail me I will get rid of them and tell the world I was wrong and they do indeed suck also. Good talking with you, Enjoy the warm weather coming up and enjoy the ride. See Ya, Joe

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
i hear ya, if you don't have confidence in the tires you are using it can make some very uncomfortable rides worrying about them.

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Good news!!

Thunderhog said:
I disagree, Metzelers are a much better handling tire,and they are more sticky than Dunlops by far.I ride in wet conditions freqently, and I can say that Metzelers are great in the rain... Dunlops tend to slip much easier on road paint, manholes, and grates.
Happy I went with the metzelers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts