V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 fx has over 10k on it,my warranty runs out this coming aug.When should I rip the cover off and take a look......................Gary:blink:

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
G Everett said:
My 05 fx has over 10k on it,my warranty runs out this coming aug.When should I rip the cover off and take a look......................Gary:blink:
Anytime, some say every 10K but I feel every 30K is sufficient. Get a little dental mirror and you should be able to check the tensioner behind the cam plate.

Not a bad idea to change them and the lifters at 30K if you want to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The local dealer here recommends 30K checks. Unless they are broke, which it doesn't sound like they are, checking them won't do anything for getting them replaced prior to the warranty running out anyway. I'm sure they would just cite normal wear and tear, which I don't think would be covered. I had the Stage 2 Kit installed at 17k on my 03FLHTCI. Tensioners were in excellent shape. I will check them at 30K but would feel comfortable going to 40K they way they looked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine disintegrated at 47k and ended up plugging an oil passage. I wouldn't wait 30k. A little effort can save big $.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
on my 04 EG I had the first set replaced under warranty at ~12,000 miles. I checked the replacement set at ~12,000 (24,000 on bike) and they looked like new. Same riding style, same oil and change interval, same everything except no wear second time around. There is no rhyme or reason in why some wear fast and some don't. Both my inner and outer were the same both times. Ie the first time both were wore out and replaced second time both looked like new.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Best time to check your tensioners is right after the warranty expires while you are installing the gear drive cams.+SMSH+

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
LittleBear said:
Best time to check your tensioners is right after the warranty expires while you are installing the gear drive cams.+SMSH+
Might not even wait for warranty to expire if you live where you can ride a lot. Did the gear drives in the 04 at 18months/44000 miles, still in warranty, but didn't figure I could wait much longer.

Teu

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
G Everett said:
I'd probably take a look at 20 or 30K. Good time to change the inner cam bearings to Torringtons and add a Baisley Spring to address low oil pressure. If they are simply worn down, I'd doubt that the dealer would pick up replacements under warranty. They would probably want to see that they had failed and mess things up a bit before they would do anything for you.

By the way, HD recommends that you also replace the cam chains if the tensioners are worn more than 50% or cracked or severely pitted in any way....that puts a favorable light on changing to geared cams. Tensioners, chains and gaskets could probably cost you $200-$250 if you install them yourself. Add about 4 hours labor and you're up over $600. This is a lot of jack for a simple replacement with the whole thing to be done over again in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Mtclassic said:
on my 04 EG I had the first set replaced under warranty at ~12,000 miles. I checked the replacement set at ~12,000 (24,000 on bike) and they looked like new. Same riding style, same oil and change interval, same everything except no wear second time around. There is no rhyme or reason in why some wear fast and some don't. Both my inner and outer were the same both times. Ie the first time both were wore out and replaced second time both looked like new.

Sound like the original tensioners polished the crap out of that chain for ya :D

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i have seen 4 in the last month,3 with the back worn so deep that the sides were seperating from the main part of the pad , 3 bikes had about 35 k on them ,all 3 were back pads , one of them was mine ,i had been putting it off waiting for the short texas winter . mine was actually bareley rubbing on the metal , i have been really listening for them even to the point of kneeling down and getting my ear right up there and never heard anything unusual

the 4th is a real horror story , he has 55k ,, motor died and wont start , pull pushrod covers and the pushrods dont move when stater engages , pull cam cover , he had been riding on the chain a while , a chunk of tooth finally broke off , wedged between the chain and gear on outside of rear cam , locking the whole mechanism .spinning the cam drive sprocket on the crankshaft , ruining the whole motor over 2 pieces of plastic , this is a crappy design which local dealers still deny , the twin cam is old enough now the shops around here are starting to swarm with this problem

on the other hand i saw one with 91k on it when it grenaded and went to the chain ????????

who knows , its a crap shoot , roll the dice and take your chance

my opinion is from what i have seen i would say 30k would be the high end

and i wouldnt just check them , i would replace them , to me it seems like checking a spark plug, why bother ? replace them

as a side note i agree with springer , new ultra and others , if it were my bike (and it was) i would add to the cost with getting new bearings and lifters at the 30k range

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
LittleBear said:
I'll second that, except I didn't wait for the warranty to expire...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts