V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to improve the sound of my 2003 RK but do not want a loud pipe. I know this is very subjective but I am more after quaility of sound, nice deep rumble, and only a small increase in loudness over the stock set up. What are the recomendations out there?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
The best approach is to listen to the various muffs on bikes at the shops or shows. But, that sometimes doesn't work for usually people in the same area tend to buy as the others do and that doesn't leave you with a wide selection to hear. I too was looking for a not loud pipe but I could only find 1 step up from stock (the HD Touring muff), fairly loud, and really loud. Couldn't find anything alittle louder than the Touring muff. So, I decided to go deep. Finally bought the Bassani slip-ons. Quality appears better than the V&H basic slip-ons and IMHO a deeper rumble. Can be fairly loud in the city but at highway speeds they seem to get deeper and I can hear the radio with little problems. Hope this helps but they just don't make a bagger slip-on thats alittle louder than the HD Touring muff.
Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tried wild pigs,barrtels, and both were to loud . I got a set of White Brothers E-Series Slip ons . WONDERFUL Low rumble not loud at all . The pipes are on a 2002 ultra classic. It smoothed out the bike in all rpm ranges. I can hear the radio easy at interstate speeds. No poping on decel. They are a little louder than the touring mufflers and they are tunable to any suit your taste.

·
Registered
414 Posts
White Brothers E-Series Slip ons are either a copy or produced under authority from Supertrapp. (I believe)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
kellyb,

A set of SE slip-on's worked great for me. No problem with the AM/FM/ CD on occasion, very audible. (must please the little lady every now and then). I must admit personally that I would much rather listen to the music from the pipes.

The stage one setup made the ride even more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I just installed SE performance slip ons along with the stage1 air flow on my 99 Ultra classic. It sounds great. Nice rumble but can still hear the stereo fine. I was looking for the same thing just a little louder than stock but not too overly loud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts