V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Road King FLHR, 2001 with stock pipes and carb setup.

I'm looking to make the first upgrade of carb kit and deep toned slip-on's. I have been watching this site for a while now and understand straight pipes will hurt performance on my RK. I do not want to go to a 2 to 1 system.

I have been searching all the exhaust companys and am interested in slip-on's that Bassani, Vance and Hines, Khromewerks, and Wild Pig offer.

If anyone has my type of RK (if that matters) and used either of these would you please give me your opinions.

I have not seen to much on the Bassani and am woundering if they are too big (4") and would look out of place.

If you don't mind helping a newbe let it flow!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
This isn't any advice, but I am in the same boat as yourself. My 2002 RK will be delivered at the end of the month. I am looking around for some satisfiying pipes. Have you looked at Bassani pipes? I know that exhaust loads are different for dressers compaired to other bikes. I don't want to go with an exhaust system that sounds good, but robs me of low end torque. ASSISTANCE FROM SOME BAGGER OWNERS/WRENCHERS, PLEASE. J.T.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Big Ron, I just replaced the SE slip ons with the 4" Bassinis and think they look way cool. If you are still uncertain, let me know and i will post a picture. greg ([email protected])

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Best Slip On's for Road King

Howdy!

Not sure if you've already gotten youself some new pipes, but I bought a 2000 Road King Classic that came with Vance & Hines pipes that were too quiet for my taste.

Rode that bike out of the shop where I bought it in Daytona straight to Miller's, where I bought a set of Samson fishtail slip-ons. We put 'em on right there in the parking lot, and they are AWESOME.

Not only do they roar when you're on the throttle, but when you let off, it's just as impressive. If you're looking for LOUD, these definitely do the trick, and they look great.

Only issue is that these have no baffles, and I can tell a bit of a difference in performance. I believe putting a set of cones in the pipes will counteract the lack of back pressure and improve performance without affecting the sound of the pipes.

Good luck!

·
Seasoned Rider
57 Posts
i put a set of SAMSON TURN-OUTS slip-ons on my '01 roadking , mines fuel injected, and they sound great. better performance, no backfiring when you let-off trottle. roadking43

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exhaust is such a matter of personal choice that it is hard to make any recommendations. Sound, performance and looks (Oh & cost) all need to be considered. I have a '99 RK and put on a set of SuperTrapp slipons with fish tails. I think they sound great. They are not head turning loud but I can set off the car alarms in the parking garages. They give good performance, but I have not tried a bunch of different ones. If I didn't want the fishtail look I would not have gone with SuperTrapps because I don't like the looks of the other tips they make.
So much for one persons advice. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got Scream'n Eagles. Loud. But what's causing all the backfiring. It's brrn chrckrd for exhaust leaks. None. What's causng the backfiring?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts