V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
it wasn't me
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising around Knoxville today and decided to take a detour down 129 and through the Dragon ( in a cage :crying: )

It got me to thinking, what are you favorite roads in PA, NJ or NY? Best roads in any state will do.

Due to the proximity, I like to get lost in the poconos.

:chopper:
 

·
?????
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
I like Rt 6 in PA, seems I can travel it over and over and still find something new.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Route 218 Storm King Highway along the Hudson to the Bear Mtn bridge 2nd pic then onto 7 Lakes dr. And the Hawks nest route 97
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
I' partial to Sussex County and the the three corners area, Montague, Matamoras, Port Jervis, etc. I often refer to that area as "The Backyard"

NY Rt. 97 to Hawk's Nest. on to Minisink, over to Shohla Pa. and the Twin lakes area is still one of my favorite quickie daytrips.

I ditched work early two weeks ago and took all the backroads down to Asbury Park, Bradley Beach, Longbranch, and Rumson. That was a nice ride-thru.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
389 Posts
Last year's trip to Americade, we travelled north from Philly along the Delaware River. That's Rt 32 to New Hope to 611 up through Easton, then 209 through the Delaware Water Gap to Port Jervis. Even loaded up and in the rain it was a great ride.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
Fxsts103 thats all the same roads i travel on int the summer...love them all..Is the Hawk's Nest still open? I have gone there a couple years back....I also love all backroads in P.A., now that i live closer i always head out that way.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
Route 20 runs from Buffalo NY to Cleveland OH. Maybe further but I stop here. That's good riding!! See grapevines and everything. You can even go west into Ohio hit 7N and 528W (I think) and end up at "Geneva at the Lake". It's like a Harley show there with a two strip malls to boot! ~!Awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Sinker said:
Last year's trip to Americade, we travelled north from Philly along the Delaware River. That's Rt 32 to New Hope to 611 up through Easton, then 209 through the Delaware Water Gap to Port Jervis. Even loaded up and in the rain it was a great ride.
Amen to that! 611 is one of the best local rides! Also route 432 out near Lancaster is good too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
323 Posts
Rock steady: Taking route 20 From Buffalo to Cleveland, Take a right at the Y in Silver Creek and take route 5 along lake Erie all the way to Erie Pa and connect back up with Route 20. Better scenery. IF you do stay on 20, wave in Fredonia, I might be out on my scoot. Tractorhunter
 

·
?????
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
Route 20 runs from Buffalo NY to Cleveland OH. Maybe further but I stop here. That's good riding!! See grapevines and everything. ~!Awesome!
Another good grape area ride is Rt5 east which ends up in NY. I love that area when its harvest time, the smell is awsome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
TXCHOP said:
Fxsts103 thats all the same roads i travel on int the summer...love them all..Is the Hawk's Nest still open? I have gone there a couple years back....I also love all backroads in P.A., now that i live closer i always head out that way.

If you are asking about the road going up to the hawks nest, yes, hawks nest is open. If you are talking about the hawks nest bar that was on the north side overlooking the river, no, it burned down a few years ago.
 

·
Wanderer
Joined
·
448 Posts
Buncha sissies. The best road is the one going into the Holland Tunnel leading to Hogs and Heifers. :boobies: :boobies: :boobies: :boobies:

There's always Larry Flynt's joint higher up the Westside Highway.:boobies: :boobies: :boobies:
 

·
it wasn't me
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John R. said:
Buncha sissies. The best road is the one going into the Holland Tunnel leading to Hogs and Heifers. :boobies: :boobies: :boobies: :boobies:

There's always Larry Flynt's joint higher up the Westside Highway.:boobies: :boobies: :boobies:
That's great!!!

How about some good switchbacks? Rts' 32, 611 and 6 are all favorties of mine. Gotta stop at Frannies for a cold one on the way!
 

·
C'ya on the road
Joined
·
146 Posts
what are you favorite roads in PA, NJ or NY? Best roads in any state will do.
Here's a good road, not for sissies. On US 6, in Sheffield, PA. pick up PA 666 and follow to East Hickory, PA and US 62. This may be hard to find on a map unless you focus in close.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
Snarly said:
Here's a good road, not for sissies. On US 6, in Sheffield, PA. pick up PA 666 and follow to East Hickory, PA and US 62. This may be hard to find on a map unless you focus in close.
PA 666 huh? That just sounds evil. :brows:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,089 Posts
I like those Fxsts103 spoke of, but for real excitement there ain't nothing like a cruise on the BQE anytime between 6am and 8pm, or any of the major routes in/out of NYC. Did someone say Pinball???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Snarly said:
Here's a good road, not for sissies. On US 6, in Sheffield, PA. pick up PA 666 and follow to East Hickory, PA and US 62. This may be hard to find on a map unless you focus in close.
A buddy of mine has a hunting camp just outside Whig Hill on 666. Spent many an opening day of buck season down there, in the heart of the "big woods".
 

·
void** ppVoid;
Joined
·
895 Posts
route 6

Route 6 all the way across the state is very scenic and I do never tire of it. Make it a nice trip and ride out to Thunder in the cascades bike rally(in western PA). Take route 6 all the way across, then head south to Lawrence county fairgrounds. It is one of my annual trips.

http://www.paroute6.com/
http://www.visitpa.com/papassages/route6_index.shtml
http://thunderinthecascades.com/

611, 32, 209 is right on my back porch (I'm right outside of Easton) and is nice, but I am jaded to that because I've ridden those roads doing commuting for awhile and spent time working around Jim Thorpe. My family has a cabin right outside of Jim Thorpe.

Once outside of Philly and not in the coal region, the scenery is great in PA. Even in the coal mine areas, there are interesting places to visit, for example, Eckley Miners Village

On the shorter rides, head out to Jim Thorpe w/ a GPS and get lost and snake along the Blue mountain. That is close by and I still am amazed at the new and scenic roads I find when I try to get lost around that area.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top