V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just registered and think someone out there may be able to help me
make a decision on products. I have a stock 73flh and would like to know
what is the best wash and wax product on the market. I'm a disabled vet.
and still luckily can ride for ten minutes which is better than nothing. Problem
is when I put it away for the fall I like to clean and polish it up real well but
cannot use your normal wipe on waxs due to limited movement I now have.
I'm going to use a wash and wax product but don't have any ideal what is
good and what isn't. I keep my bike garaged and covered. I live in a part of
the country that has very low humitity and ride it when its nice out. Never
have ridden in the rain due to being a clean freak. Want a product that will
provide a nice shine and protect it for the little time that its actually out
on the road.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
I don't have an answer for you other than to say thanks for your service.
If I lived near you I would gladly keep your bike detailed for you as a further gesture of thanks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I always go trojan. Good name brand, don't skimp

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here are some things that may help:
QEW ( Quick and Easy Wash) normally sold at RV pats stores and Walmart in the boat section). You wash without a hose. Few ounces in a bucket of water. wipe on a section then dry off...this product is made to be rinse free. This is a fantastic product used by a lot of mobile detailers.
I would take the time to seal your paint ( taking for granted it is in good shape) Klasse All-In-One would be my recommendation..should be able to do a search on find on line, also there is a seller on ebay motors. It would be a great idea to also get Klasse's Sealant Glaze to finish it off. This will give you max protection and longevity. For some extra pop top it off with a spray wax.
If you need more help feel free to PM me.
I have been doing this for about 27 years now and run HOGtailing here in Nashville.

·
Banned
871 Posts
I prefer S100 carnuba wax. It's not that wipe on, let dry, wipe off stuff. That type of wax is crap because it leaves white powder all over the place. You have to rub this stuff in. I wax my bike twice a year. Once in the spring, and once again in the late fall before the snow flys and they start putting salt on the roads. It protects the aluminum from the salt very well. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
ToddM said:
I prefer S100 carnuba wax. It's not that wipe on, let dry, wipe off stuff. That type of wax is crap. You have to rub this stuff in. I wax my bike twice a year. Once in the spring, and once again in the late fall before the snow flys and they start putting salt on the roads. It protects the aluminum from the salt very well. :)
S100/PS21 carnauba wax is a wipe on, let haze, wipe off wax. Are you referring to some other S100 product?
http://www.bikedepot.net/s1capawax.html

·
Banned
871 Posts
3Dog said:
S100/PS21 carnauba wax is a wipe on, let haze, wipe off wax. Are you referring to some other S100 product?
http://www.bikedepot.net/s1capawax.html
Hmmmm.... Did you actually read the page you sent me? ^rolleyez^ It says "no chalky white residue". That means that it does not dry to a haze, but rather it drys clear. I've been using it for a long time and it doesn't dry completely unless you leave it on for quite a while. If you let it dry to that point, it's very hard to wipe off. That's one reason why I like it... it won't leave white crap on the black or rough surfaces or in lettering or cracks. :)

S100 also make some other great products. Their engine brightener works fantastic on all your bike's black parts. It makes them look almost new! The first time I tried it, it surprised the he11 out of me. Those are about the only two S100 products I've used so far. I also like to use aircraft wax. There are several good brands, but they are more expensive than most wax. Once container will last for years, though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
ToddM said:
Hmmmm.... Did you actually read the page you sent me? ^rolleyez^ It says "no chalky white residue". That means that it does not dry to a haze, but rather it drys clear. I've been using it for a long time and it doesn't dry completely unless you leave it on for quite a while. If you let it dry to that point, it's very hard to wipe off. That's one reason why I like it... it won't leave white crap on the black or rough surfaces or in lettering or cracks. :)

S100 also make some other great products. Their engine brightener works fantastic on all your bike's black parts. It makes them look almost new! The first time I tried it, it surprised the he11 out of me. Those are about the only two S100 products I've used so far. I also like to use aircraft wax. There are several good brands, but they are more expensive than most wax. Once container will last for years, though.
Yes I did read...not sure what you mean. Hazing has nothing to do with white residue. Hazing (not drying) is a term used to let a product bond..ie carnaubas and some synthetics.

·
Banned
871 Posts
3Dog said:
Yes I did read...not sure what you mean. Hazing has nothing to do with white residue. Hazing (not drying) is a term used to let a product bond..ie carnaubas and some synthetics.
Sorry 3Dog, I guess I misunderstood you. I was talking about the stuff that dries to a whitish haze (powder). S100 does not dry to a lighter color, it stays somewhat clear and won't really dry completely for a long time. That clearity does make it hard to tell if it's to the "haze" point, though. I just leave it on for about two minutes (long enough to bond) and start rubbing. It's a very hard finish and much easier to wipe off without leaving residue. It also leaves a nice deep looking finish, especially on dark paints.

·
Registered
267 Posts
ToddM said:
Sorry 3Dog, I guess I misunderstood you. I was talking about the stuff that dries to a whitish haze (powder). S100 does not dry to a lighter color, it stays somewhat clear and won't really dry completely for a long time. That clearity does make it hard to tell if it's to the "haze" point, though. I just leave it on for about two minutes (long enough to bond) and start rubbing. It's a very hard finish and much easier to wipe off without leaving residue. It also leaves a nice deep looking finish, especially on dark paints.
Normally..as far as S100/PS21 goes..you can lay it down on the whole bike aand then start removing. That shoul be about 10 minutes. Also if you have a carnauba that its hard to remove it usually will be that the paint is not a smooth in certain areas..this happens with hand polishing.
A good way to check the slickness of your paint will be to put your hand in a sandwich baggie and run it across the paint. I should glide like silk.
S100 is our paste of choice to finish up silver bikes.

·
Banned
871 Posts
3Dog said:
Normally..as far as S100/PS21 goes..you can lay it down on the whole bike aand then start removing. That shoul be about 10 minutes. Also if you have a carnauba that its hard to remove it usually will be that the paint is not a smooth in certain areas..this happens with hand polishing.
A good way to check the slickness of your paint will be to put your hand in a sandwich baggie and run it across the paint. I should glide like silk.
S100 is our paste of choice to finish up silver bikes.
I always paint my own bikes, so I know it's as close to perfect as humanly possible, even in the areas you don't normally see. HOK paint is much to expensive to do a half-a$$ed job. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts