V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not hacking up old threads, but I am trying to get a handle on the different methods for mapping a 2008 Road Glide.

I purchased this (beautiful) bike in September after spending 6 years on a Standard with a CV carb. All other bikes prior to that were carb as well and all took a bit of 'figeting' to get them running the way I wanted.

The RG has slight surging at 2300 rpm in 4th, and noticable surging at 2300 rpm (city speed) in 3rd. The head pipes were blue at the head and discoloured right down to the timer cover. If this was a carb, I'd have my hands into it with a Power Tube and needle to fatten it up. I understand the MoCo's decision to run them lean to get the emissions down, but I am not convinced that the engine is running efficiently under a 'too lean' condition, and I don't believe that the additional heat is good for engine longevity. On a positive note, I do like the EFI as I don't get carb baffs and stalling at intersections while the bike is trying to warm up in different weather conditions.

The olny mod I have performed so far has been to replace the stock head pipes with Vance and Hines True Duals while retaining the stock mufflers. My reasons for changing the pipes were;
3: To open up that side of the bike for cleaning and service (easier to get at the engine and tranny oil sticks),
2: Vance and Hines pipes will fit stock mufflers and O2's and I like the 'quiet' of this bike.
And the number one reason,
1: I noticed a reduction in heat at the seat by removing the Y pipe ( I did this on my 02 Standard and it reduced heat there as well).

So now to the meat of the matter. The bike was lean from the start. I have further changed the setup. I don't know at this time if I will perform other mods (air cleaner) as the lesson I learned from the last ride was 'Any additoinal $$$$$ spent on the bike will not be recovered at trade in time' so all I am planning to do is get the RG running the way it should so I can ride long and worry free.

My dealer said that they could do a Stage 1 flash and 'see what that does' to the performance. This at a cost of around $300. Makes sense to me to put that money towards a fuel management system I can keep modifying as I see fit, so I am trying to get the scoop on the options. I was set to go with a Power Commander III, but now I see they are working on something for the 08's and may not work well with the narrow band O2 sensors (someone advised me on this). Others recommend the SERT as it's constantly modifiable. I am not neccessarily looking for a cheap way out, I am looking for trouble free longevity without having to throw my wallet on the counter and letting all the $$$$ leak out.

Any pros / cons to any system form First Hand Users? Or point me to more info so I can make an educated decision? I tried a search here and thought I found a nice thread explaining the SERT, but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks for all the help!

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

That's the article I was looking at. Very nice work. I am trying to research the availability of the program to me here in Ontario Canada. I also will try for a 'near stock' base map, as I don't want to change much, just get the lean condition sorted out. Lots to play with, but as you say, better than pulling float bowls and trying to get jets out!

Thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tom, I'd be very interested in what you end up doing to your bike.
I want to keep my '08 StreetGlide as "stock" as possible but want to eventually address the heat/lean condition.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll let you know what I end up with. I see a lot of positive comments about the Thundermax with autotune, but they don't have one for the 08's yet, and they are more than 2X the $$$ of a sert.

I guess my big concern is that my bike runs OK (just OK) for now, especially since it's a little cooler out. All I want to do is richen it up a bit to prevent the surging that I know is caused by a lean condition. If I could get the base map and go from there, I may be more comfortable than trying to find a whole new map that may or may not be close to what I have now and then trying to modify it to get the bike running decent.

Probably can't do too much tuning until it gets warm again anyway so I can load it up to see where it pings to get the timing advance where it should be. Still easier than doing the carb on my 02 standard, then doing my buddy's carb when he saw how good mine ran!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little side note. I don't know about the 08s, but on the 07s the left and right muffler appear to be designed quite differently internally due to the fact that the stock system exits most of the exhaust through the right muffler. If you look in the tail end you can see the difference in the baffling design. Just thought i'd mention it, since your'e using the stock mufflers with a true dual system and the front and rear cylinders may be seeing different backpressure.
I still have the stock headpipes, but installed '04 mufflers because they are even quieter (trying to save what little hearing I have left). Oddly enough, the '04 mufflers both look the same from the back end.
I don't know how long the wait will be for the Thundermax for you; it's the only mechanical mod I've done and the bike runs much better. Plus, it can be tailored for modifications in the future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
planewrench said:
A little side note. I don't know about the 08s, but on the 07s the left and right muffler appear to be designed quite differently internally due to the fact that the stock system exits most of the exhaust through the right muffler.
Thanks for the info! That should have been obvious to me, as the left muffler does sound different at idle and when I have the bike over 3K rpm. The left side has a 'blap' sound to it that wasn't there with the crossover pipe setup. I will investigate your solution to even out the muffler characteristics.

I have the SERT program in the mail, so I will start looking at tuning with that when it arrives.

Thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow

The mufflers are different indeed! The left side has NOTHING inside it but the pipe at the outlet end. The bike sounded good with the factory crossover exhaust setup, but with true duals and no baffle at all in the left pipe it wasn't happy at all. Luckily I had a set of mufflers from an older Electra Glide. Someone knocked the center baffle out of these, but at least the mufflers were consistent side to side. The bike runs and sounds better, but I am putting a set on with the center baffle intact, as I too am into the quiet ride.

I may work on the airflow at the inlet end of the mufflers, but I want to retain most of the quiet at cruise. Too many loud hobbies have taken their toll!

Thanks again for the tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts