V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
CTCruiser said:
Looking for the best overall motor for performance & reliability in the 124ci range

R&R or GMR or King of Cubes or Hillside any of these will build you a good strong motor.....

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1711tab said:
R&R or GMR or King of Cubes or Hillside any of these will build you a good strong motor.....

I don't think I ever herd of GMR or Hillside Gotta URL?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
CTCruiser said:
Look to your right, and click on their link ... they are site sponsors

Hillside is the closest site sponsot to CT. I had my work done at AMS in Framingham, Ma. Depending on where you live ... there is also Rosa's on Long Island, and of course a drive to New Hampshire will get you to R&R Cycles. All of them are great shops.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Have to say knowing the people who build these motors is a big part of wanting one.R&R,The King of Cubes,will get you the best of the best.S&S on reputation,and I am sure there a lot more of them.Do the research and get to know your builder,it will pay you big dividends.Dog

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
CTCruiser said:

Contact GMR (Steve) @ 928-445-3473

Contact Hillside (Scott) @ 315-495-6650

:yikes: :spank: :yikes:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Are you simply looking for a crate motor to bolt in to replace a twin cam? Or are you open to having your t/c motor built up. Crate engines aren't bad by any means, but are generic to a point. As an example a Jims 120 motor..Will they perform, yes but will you get a lot more performance for you money if you built yours up. ABSOLUTELY! It will be less expensive and perform better and the torque and horsepower will be where you want it if the right combo is put together. It will also be assembled by a season pro, not an assembly line so to speak...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
TXCHOP said:
...but will you get a lot more performance for you money if you built yours up. ABSOLUTELY!...
TX -

I gotta disagree with ya. A popular 20% off place that many here use quoted me approx $6.5K for a new JIMS. I spent approx $5K building my 98 - maybe a touch more. Add in case-boring, new crank, increased labor - and building my stock motor would have surpassed the cost of the JIMS. Plus the JIMS has meatier cases made for that size and power, as well as the benefit of a LOT of OEM testing. IMO - the far more cost effective route. Just sayin...-2$en#e- :hystria:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
TX -

I gotta disagree with ya. A popular 20% off place that many here use quoted me approx $6.5K for a new JIMS. I spent approx $5K building my 98 - maybe a touch more. Add in case-boring, new crank, increased labor - and building my stock motor would have surpassed the cost of the JIMS. Plus the JIMS has meatier cases made for that size and power, as well as the benefit of a LOT of OEM testing. IMO - the far more cost effective route. Just sayin...-2$en#e- :hystria:
I agree with you as well FX, but there are a couple ways to do it....Just looking real quick, you can get a 124 kit(unassembled) from JP Cycles for 4756.99. You could do it using your stock heads(with proper porting/valves) for a little less. I realize that you need a couple misc parts and machine work like case boring, timken conversion etc...Just me, but i would take an S+S over a Jims though...I worked an HD/Thundermountain dealer, and have seen some break down with very little mileage....

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I had an S&S crate motor (100" Evo) in my old bagger. It was the smoothest most reliable motor I've had in over 35 yrs of riding. But one can also get just as good a motor by having a reputable builder do theirs. Concerning the Jims 120", I like the idea of that motor, but after the problems I had with their lifters and the resulting damage, I'd be a little "gunshy". If I was going the 120" I'd try and buy components or a kit and have a reputable builder assemble it. Likely not as cost effective....initially... but very likely over the long haul.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm almost ready to fire up a 113" Patrick motor that's in an 05 fatboy and will give my take on it after. I'm hearing some grumblings lately in the area about a few R&R motors, not sure the problem, just a few unhappy people with them.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Buster said:
I'm almost ready to fire up a 113" Patrick motor that's in an 05 fatboy and will give my take on it after. I'm hearing some grumblings lately in the area about a few R&R motors, not sure the problem, just a few unhappy people with them.
I for one would be interested in hearing more on your Patrick Motor...

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
My 113 Screaming Eagle set up has 10,000 miles and is still running strong. Friend did the Jims 120 about the same time, and it's been down a couple times. Don't know all the specifics, but had the cam (no recalled) problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts