V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright then I have decided on the Street Bob after mulling over bike after bike. And at that price point I'm going to have a little left over over for the motor and never having had motor upgrades before I am looking for opinions -2$en#e- on upgrades.

Right now the dealer has a special $1265 fo the Big Bore Stage II kit installed.

Is that the way to go or should I cherry pick the parts I want used...i.e head & cams etc.

I want power & reliability! I am not interested in running on the ragged edge or setting the land speed record from stop light to stop light.

I'd like the power focused on cruising. Oh yeah really loud is good also so I think V&H BSS are in order.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I installed the 95 CI big bore kit. I've got a few thousand miles on it & I'm happy with it so far. I wasn't looking for anything radical either. But it does add a bit of kick to it, and at the low end range too. If anything, I might have gone with a slightly different cam than the SE-203 that comes with the kit. The price sounds pretty darn good. That does include the download you'll need after it doesn't it? I'm saving my pennies for either the Super Trapp pipes or the Thunder Headers (for my '03 Road King), from what the gurus of V-Forum have said to others & what I read, they're the best for performance & not too bad for sound.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Again, another vote for the 98" from GMR. I went from 95" to 98" and it IS a HUGE difference!! Call GMR. Talk to Steve. He'll set you straight.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Why not consider doing the heads and a stage 1 kit. In my opinion the heads should be the first thing to do as all other components are connected to them,(exhaust, intake, etc. all use the heads). With good tuning you may find that this is all you need and you're done. If you want more later you can do as the budget allows. I have quite a few customers running my ported heads with good exhuast and intake systems in 88" motors that find their power is enough and dealers will still keep their warranty intact, your dealer may vary but it's worth asking.

Bean

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
go with a set of cams and adjustible pushrods to start i did and im very happy with the outcome i have 204's in my night train and it pulls very hard but not to radical..

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I was all set to go with adjustable push rods, figuring its easier if I got a leak or some other reason to pull apart. I've decide now, unless build calls for it will stay stock. Just drop them in the hole. If you need to just cut them out and install adjust able. I am pretty sure you can do that, right???

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm think I'm going with heads & cams (gear drive)...trouble is nobody has released gear drives for the 2006 Dynas yet.

Shouldn't be too long.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Jack-Jack said:
I'm think I'm going with heads & cams (gear drive)...trouble is nobody has released gear drives for the 2006 Dynas yet.

Shouldn't be too long.
Whats the difference? I thought cams are pretty much the same on TCs.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Go with the dealers deal, but have them use the 204. Keep your warranty intact for the first year. Then if you feel you need it, get you some headwork and change the cams. One break in on the rings.

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
I rode my 2005 SuperGlide for the first season with the Stage 1 kit and SE slip-ons that I had the dealer install when I bought it. Just finishing up the build that is listed in my signature. My point is, ride it first, see what you think, then upgrade if you want. The dealers price on the kit is good, if your stuck with SE parts, use the 204 cams if they'll let you substitute (most kits come with the 203's).

·
Registered
90 Posts
My new FXDLI is getting the Stage II with the 204 cams, and Rush mufflers w/2.25" baffles. Based on what I'm reading, sounds like I will like the results.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been pretty happy w/ my SE big bore kits, but I would've probably liked to go with the SE-204 cam too, As so many are saying. It feels good for moderate power, but for the more serious wrench-turned it may be too tame. I've had it to Tennesse & through "The Dragon", and it's had plenty of power. My other bike is a Triumph Trophy 1200. It couldn't keep up with that, but that's not what I have it for. The only beef I have now is the noise that the primary makes since I installed the self-adjusting primary tensioner. I did clean out the heads a little myself, smoothed out the rough edges & got rid of the carbon, but no professional job. Doubt if it made a difference.
But again, I think the price they're offering you is pretty darn good. Tough choice, with all the great suggestions the good folks here have posted.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Save your money on the dealer build, ride it for a year, put some chrome goodies on it. Then in a year you'll be ready for a nice build. You'll get plenty of help aroung here. You'll have the 06 heads and get a real nice port job out of them, a cam, maybe an Andrews 37G, and a big bore kit with some wiseco's, and a power commander and pipes. Personally, I'd save my money and stay away from the dealer crap. Just my -2$en#e-

·
Registered
134 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Save your money on the dealer build, ride it for a year, put some chrome goodies on it. Then in a year you'll be ready for a nice build. You'll get plenty of help aroung here.
I wish I had waited when I bought my '04. I had the dealer install the ST1 95" before I took delivery.
After finding this forum & doing research, I ended up changing most of what I had originally installed.
Ride it stock for a year and think about a solid performance plan before you start dropping money.
Good luck.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
FUNHOG said:
I wish I had waited when I bought my '04. I had the dealer install the ST1 95" before I took delivery.
After finding this forum & doing research, I ended up changing most of what I had originally installed.
Ride it stock for a year and think about a solid performance plan before you start dropping money.
Good luck.
@gree: Listen to these guys, they know of what they speak!! I know it's tempting to have the dealer do it, but then you're probably gonna end up with some EPA legal *TIBS* that you won't be happy with in three months as your buddies keep blowing by you, and won't be able to sell to recoup your cash!! You can get a pretty strong build from some of the expertise on this site!!!:hmmm: :duh?:

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Save your money on the dealer build, ride it for a year, put some chrome goodies on it. Then in a year you'll be ready for a nice build. You'll get plenty of help aroung here. You'll have the 06 heads and get a real nice port job out of them, a cam, maybe an Andrews 37G, and a big bore kit with some wiseco's, and a power commander and pipes. Personally, I'd save my money and stay away from the dealer crap. Just my -2$en#e-
Ditto RKCurley, I bought a kit from the dealer and ended up changing several things after the fact. Now I'm happy with the results, but I Would have saved money doin things after the fact! Hind sight is..... well you know!

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Jack-Jack said:
Alright then I have decided on the Street Bob after mulling over bike after bike. And at that price point I'm going to have a little left over over for the motor and never having had motor upgrades before I am looking for opinions -2$en#e- on upgrades.

Right now the dealer has a special $1265 fo the Big Bore Stage II kit installed.

Is that the way to go or should I cherry pick the parts I want used...i.e head & cams etc.

I want power & reliability! I am not interested in running on the ragged edge or setting the land speed record from stop light to stop light.

I'd like the power focused on cruising. Oh yeah really loud is good also so I think V&H BSS are in order.

Thanks!
:thumbsup: Jack-Jack, Hope you're getting the picture!! We definately wouldn't steer you wrong. Most of H-D's packages are EPA compliant ie:No Balls :nono:
There is a wealth of info here, use it if you want. Remember any mistake that you could possibly make has allready been made by someone here!!!:duh?:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I am really off the SE kits.

I think the way I am going to go is heads & cams HOWEVER no gear drive cams:dunno: for the Dyna exist yet so that alone is going to hold up any build.

Right now I need to decide on pipes. I love V&H BSS had em on my Fat Boy but everything V&H is backorderd till after Bike Week.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
there has been a lot of happy customers using hdwrenchs 98in kit having dewey, wrench or bigboys do your heads and a 37g cam with some 337 gearing your looking at around 2500 give or take in parts and wrench on it yourself
The guys above do some excellent work and they'll point you in the right direction. But you really need to look into http://www.bigalsperformanceparts.com/ I've been talking to him for a while now and he's doing some work for me now. Big Al know's his sh!t, has years of experience, can make you cams, pistons and flywheels and his prices are great!! I'm gonna have him do a de-stroked 4.24 bore x 3.75 stroke 106" motor for me this summer. Just my curiosity getting the better of me....hehehehe:xhere:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts