V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rewrap my V&H basic slip on baffles. What is the best material to do this? The stock material looked to be fiberglass. I'm attempting to quiet them down.

Also thinking about welding a small restriction baffle on the right side baffle inlet to make more exhaust gasses come out of the left side like the stock mufflers do. Any ideas?

·
2008 Ultra Classic
10 Posts
I picked up some packing at the local crotch rocket shop. Its in large sheet about 3/4' thick and 12" square and very dense.

It works well, secure with scotch tape and then it fluffs up in the pipe.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As stated, use the dirt bike stuff from a shop.
Fiberglass has a high melt point and it dissipitates heat better than just about anything else and absorbs sound better.
Do not use any metal wool, it has a low melt point and will break down faster than fiberglass. The metal retains heat and will eventually break down faster.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
claydbal said:
go to the local dirt dike shop and look for silencer oacking by MOOSE RACING . used it for years.

I went ahead and got the moose racing stuff from the local bike shop, wrapped the baffles and reinstalled the mufflers. They are no quieter than they were with the stock V&H worn out baffle wrapping. Some day I will invest in a good set of baffled slip ons that are quieter and one that does not use wrapping, rather uses metal internal baffleing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Although the packing material has a lot to do with the sound a muffler makes, it is also dependent upon the core design. If it is a straight thru core design, the packing can olny do so much.
The quiestest mufflers made for motorcycles all have fiberglass packing, they just utilize a different core design.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't weld anything into your mufflers

Unless you are an engineer, I would recommend that you don't weld any restrictions into your slip ons. You can actually cause a problem with exhaust gasses travelling in reverse and causing driveability problems with the bike. There is a technical term for it, I cannot remember what it is called. I read an article on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The moose packing is OK at best. I've used various packing material on my
Yamaha YZ426F Woods bike and found Stainless Steel wool works and lasts the best. I picked up a 50lb roll from McMaster Carr and it has lasted better than the others. You can also use the pink stuff right off your garage ceiling. OK, here comes the flames, but trust me it works real good and you have a large supply on hand. Wrap the core firm, but not tight, and secure with fiberglass tape. Use the kind electricians use for splices, or bailing wire.
Have fun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i just orderd quiet packing (fiberglass) from dennis kirk made by vance and hines. i have rush slip ons right side was mostly gone at 3000 miles

·
Registered
224 Posts
SEII Packing?

Ok, I have the older Screamin Eagle II touring slip ons. It appears there was no packing in these mufflers to start with. The cores are solid pipes and have no slots cut in them. Can anyone confirm that these slip ons had no packing in them to start with? The Harley P/N on the slip ons that I have is:

65115-98B

Since the inserts are not slotted, it doesn't seem that adding a wrap would would be necessary or would do anything. Any comments?

·
Registered
260 Posts
packing

The 65115-98 does not have solid cores, it only looks that way from the ends. The entire core must be changed with those because of the double wall construction, they run 101.00 and the part number is; 100-65115.
Your right in OH, 07roadking60, call customer service at 216-265-8400.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks

JTW:

Thanks. If I understand you correctly, they don't have a wrap but they do wear out? What I meant by solid cores is no apparent holes in the cores. I will keep that part number, appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
260 Posts
Those mufflers, same as the current SE Series Mufflers are double walled, the entire inner unit (core/fiberglass packing) is assembled first and then pressed into the outer body. They can be changed as an entire unit. It can be difficult to do, but it can be done. Your close like I said-call Gerry or Bruce in custoemr service and talk to them about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump. Interested to hear end result of said packing. I run a straight pipped '15 Goldwing but would like to quiet her down a bit via packing the baffels.

When heavy on the throttle I'm worried I'm attracting all the wrong type of attention, if you get my drift. ;) :cool::cool: LOL.

- Viking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts