V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going with a Tour Pak quick release kit soon on an flhtc and need to do something with the antenna. I'd like to hide it and keep the back end of the bike clean but not if reception suffers.

Can anyone give me feedback on in-fairing antennas. Have they worked for you? Is the factory arial better? Powered or unpowered?

I have no experience with smaller antennas so I don't know how effective they are.

:dunno:

Thanks!

wes

·
Registered
286 Posts
wester13 said:
Going with a Tour Pak quick release kit soon on an flhtc and need to do something with the antenna. I'd like to hide it and keep the back end of the bike clean but not if reception suffers.

Can anyone give me feedback on in-fairing antennas. Have they worked for you? Is the factory arial better? Powered or unpowered?

I have no experience with smaller antennas so I don't know how effective they are.

:dunno:

Thanks!

wes
Do a search, their are numerous threads on this subject. :yes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have tested the Dakota Digital powered antenna, the Tune Trapper non-powered, and the factory whip, all at the same time, and on the same bike. The Tune Trapper and the Dakota Digital are both hidden under the fairing.

I found that the factory was the best for AM, FM, and weather band. The Tune Trapper had FM reception that was as good as the factory, but the AM and weather band were not as good. The Dakota Digital had FM reception just a little less than the Tune Trapper and the Factory, and the AM and weather bands were slightly better than the Tune Trapper. Niether the tune trapper or the Dakota Digital had reception as good as the Factory.

This was all checked inside my garage without the bike moving, so results may vary in the real world.

Regards,

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts