V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It is a pretty unique oil. While generally the brand of synthetic is a matter of personal preference, in this particular case nothing comes close as long as we are talking dog shifted non synchronized boxes.

If you find it hard to get, the BelRay and Mobil1 gear oils are good substitutes.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Best is always going to be an opinion. There is no way of proving what is the best. All of the various additives will do different things to help. Riding style, maintenance and other habits will effect how well the oil works for you just was much as the various additive packages.

That said, I use Mobil 1. I use it becuase I can buy it anywhere if I need it on the road for some reason, Wal-Mart, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, HIppo and Sidewalk, I forget to say my bike is a Softail Standart 2001, whit stage 1 kit. Is the Redline good for me? In case positive should I change how frequent?. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes it is. Initially you can change it every 5000 miles as per the factory schedule, but you will soon find out you can go much longer.

Personally I change the oil in the gearbox, when using this oil, once a season regardless of mileage, generally a little over 15K miles.

I do however change the primary and the engine oil every 5K and sooner sometimes, it just depends on how I'm using the bike at the time.
If I were running fossil oil I would cut these two in half.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When I give a opinion of a general nature on this particular forum it is intended for Twin Cams and perhaps BigTwins.

I have no opinion on what works on Buell's, Sportsters or VRods. There are significant differences.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much, Hippo, it was very helpfull ! My bike is reaching its first 5k, and I have the oil at home. It is already breaked-inn, is ´n it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I Switched To Redline Shockproof Heavy...

...And it clunks less on shifts, and seems to run *easier*, albiet probably all mental. I know on my first ride with it, it just wanted to go 90 MPH. I had to forcibly slow it down...

I'z be going all syns from the info I've heard...here and many otherplaces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts