V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Just Above Idle
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard two rules,

1.) True Duals are the way to go! Rineharts, Vance & Hines, Caliber
2.) Or 2 into 1 will perform better! Thunderheader, Fat Cat, Bassani

Which will produce the most HP and Torque?

Thanks for your two cents, Zen
-2$en#e- -2$en#e-
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
You are asking the question that will soon lead you down the road of continual purchasing of exhaust systems.

There are too many variables, such as your Engine modifications, Riding style, Sound preference, Appearance, Comfort.
The list is endless

Keep in mind that everyone's bike, riding style, and preferences are different. Some folks get caught up in the HP/TQ numbers game.
For others it's sound, for others it's appearance, for some it's comfort from heat management.

Buy what suits your wants the best, or you may end up like me, having had four exhaust systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,765 Posts
Im sure a 2 into 1 will perform better. I can't get past the looks on a bagger though. I run V&H duals with Bassani slip-ons. I don't care too much about what my dyno #s are but they sound sweet. If I were to go 2 into 1 I would go with the black Bassani Road rage.
 

·
Shithead
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
04GLIDE said:
Im sure a 2 into 1 will perform better. I can't get past the looks on a bagger though..
Someone does a 2:1 with a false left pipe for the looks. Saw it just a couple days ago posted somewhere here, but can't find it now.
 

·
Shithead
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Thanks, Chuck :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
I keep hearing that the FatCats 2-1 are the way to go for performance, but I don't like the look.

I have the Rineharts for sound and looks. If I am losing power, I sure can't tell (huge performance increase over stock), but then I haven't used anything else to compare it with.

My brother in law has the Thunder Headers on his King and they are definitely louder, more in your face kind of sound.

When in doubt, go with what I say due to my incredible good taste... and if you don't believe it, just ask me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
That's the first post with an opinion on the Caliber duals. I heard these at ThunderBeach in the fall and they sounded nice. Ads and specs had all the right ingredients, stepped pipe, etc.
Can you give more info on what the performance problems are??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Paniolo said:
You are asking the question that will soon lead you down the road of continual purchasing of exhaust systems.

There are too many variables, such as your Engine modifications, Riding style, Sound preference, Appearance, Comfort.
The list is endless

Keep in mind that everyone's bike, riding style, and preferences are different. Some folks get caught up in the HP/TQ numbers game.
For others it's sound, for others it's appearance, for some it's comfort from heat management.

Buy what suits your wants the best, or you may end up like me, having had four exhaust systems.
What Pani says! I just ordered my 4th set also, RB/LSR 2:1. I am one who thinks the 2:1 look is awesome on a bagger, at least my V&H Propipe liiks awesome to me, hope the RB looks as nice, I haven't seen one in person but those who have love it.....
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
tallyclassic said:
That's the first post with an opinion on the Caliber duals. I heard these at ThunderBeach in the fall and they sounded nice. Ads and specs had all the right ingredients, stepped pipe, etc.
Can you give more info on what the performance problems are??
Pull the baffle and look at it's design and see if you think it's capable of enhancing performance other than sound. 2:1 with either baffle is garbage. Ex-Boss tried one on his new build because he thought it look good on his 05 springer delux. Tried both baffles, modifing baffles, no baffles and 94HP was max HP he could get with it. Pulled it off pulled V&H Pro Pipe off his 96 Softail Standard and it when up to 99 HP with no tuning change and with tuning it went to 103 HP. Now this is with a stock valves retained ported 04 heads by local no-name guy and they don't flow the big numbers like heads most people are using here and if they can't flow those heads, would hate to see what would happen with with a set of high flow heads. :beatdh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Hey guys dont want to be a party pooper but this should be in the exhaust forum, what do you say??

Ozzie
 

·
Shithead
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hey guys dont want to be a party pooper but this should be in the exhaust forum, what do you say??

Ozzie
Dang, Ozzie, there ya go being logical again :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
My bagger sports V&H ProPipes. Love the looks/sound/performance. Your bike, your choice. Pick one and stay with it, that might save your wallet a little bit. 'Course if money is no object, I need a few more things.........:whistle:
 

·
Just Above Idle
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Pics

Anybody have Pics of Thunderheader Pipes on a Dresser?
Anyone Have the Ceramic Black Coated Thunderheaders, Pics?
Thanks for the great feedback, are thunderheaders really louder than the rineharts???
 

·
Hellbound Train
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
zenwee said:
Anybody have Pics of Thunderheader Pipes on a Dresser?
Anyone Have the Ceramic Black Coated Thunderheaders, Pics?
Thanks for the great feedback, are thunderheaders really louder than the rineharts???
[/IMG]
It aint a dresser but they are black ceramic
 

·
Just Above Idle
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is comparable to the Thunderheader sound? Is it louder than the Rineharts, Fat Cats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I think the Thunderheader is a little louder and deeper than a Rhinehart. I've also heard that the performance is better but I've never had a Rhinehart. I've had a T-header on an XL for several years and always get a comment from the people riding behind me that it sounds "mean" or "aggresive". Either way I love it and it makes power everywhere in the RPM band. I would imagine that the touring bikes would be similar although there may be a more noticable dip in torque (since the bikes are heavier) in the 2500-3000 range that is somewhat common in 2-1 designs, although I've never noticed that on my Sporty. On my RK I have Bassani duals with Bassani HO mufflers. The performance builds throughout the RPM range and never seems to be a restriction, even at over 7000 rpm. They are loud as hell with the throttle 1/2 open or more and sound good and deep but at cruising or decel they have a deep, low, non-offesive rumble. Good for the neighbors (just barely) but willing to get real loud when you want, just like the T-headers.
 

·
killer sperm
Joined
·
2,852 Posts
Another option is stock headpipes with the right side muffler set up for free flow & the left with a little restriction. You can use Hooker's or Supertrapp's for this or possibly have Fullsac or someone do a set of custom mufflers.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top