V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...a little background : I pulled the motor out of my bagger 117ci and found a Dyna complete with a blown motor to install it in. After cleaning about 5oz of ground up rod bearing matter out of the oil pan of the dyna I managed to get the 117 motor installed in the frame. This dyna project is a secondary project as the reason I pulled the motor out of the bagger in the first place was to install a bigger motor in it. Thing is I don't have room to work on two bikes at the same time and have only one lift which the dyna is on right now so I'm trying to finish it off without spinding all my budget. The pipes that came with the dyna are bone stock and since I am trying to save $$ for the bagger I have decided to use the stock head pipes. I thought about just punching out the stock mufflers but first I thought I would ask for some ideas on a cheap way to go for mufflers...I hear that cycle shack has an inexpensive set of mufflers that make good power. They have so many sets on there site I was wondering if anybody has used there slip-ons and if so how do/did you like them. Any other ideas are welcome I just cant afford to spend much on the dyna right now.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Heard the same up here in Ukiah from an indy builder. I also like the Rush mufflers but they are probably more expensive. -Tutt

·
Registered
917 Posts
With a 117 what you really want are the 2" stepped header cycle shack tapered pipes (one piece header and muffler) part # PHD-229T.

I have a used set that I don't think I am going to use that I could sell you cheap.

PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
793 Posts
one of the best sounding set ups I have seen/heard to date, stock head pipes with screaming eagle II slip-ons and big city thunder baffles. I was told back in 03 cycle shack was the vendor for the SE pipes. since the cycle shack were cheaper, I wondered if the baffles were the same?

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
one of the best sounding set ups I have seen/heard to date, stock head pipes with screaming eagle II slip-ons and big city thunder baffles. I was told back in 03 cycle shack was the vendor for the SE pipes. since the cycle shack were cheaper, I wondered if the baffles were the same?
I posted dyno sheets a few years ago with before & after results with stock & Big City baffles in the Cycle Shacks. Bike was a 95" back then. The Big City baffles caused an even bigger rich AFR dip in the 2000-3000 RPM range. These were all baseline WOT runs.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
With a 117 what you really want are the 2" stepped header cycle shack tapered pipes (one piece header and muffler) part # PHD-229T.
Yup-
I've seen cycle shacks pull 160 hp so you will be good.

2Wheel-
Hope your surgery went well-
Have you thought about putting the 126" in the Dyna and the 117" in the Bagger?

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
When I talked to Cycle Shack about baffle mods for my 117" they also recommended their 2" header pipes instead of my stock headers with their slip-ons. I ended up going with the FatCat which gave me the best torque curve this bike has ever seen.

TxChop tried the 2" CSs on his 117", maybe he will chime in with the results he got.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup-
I've seen cycle shacks pull 160 hp so you will be good.

2Wheel-
Hope your surgery went well-
Have you thought about putting the 126" in the Dyna and the 117" in the Bagger?
Ya I thought about it but I've alredy orderd a black hole spyder set up for the bagger W the 126 so it's going in the bagger for now. The dyna turned out to be a silver (standerd) model. Not the low (black) model that I expected so the black 117 dont look as good as expected but I'll get it looking good over time.
Surgery went well ,thanks for asking. I'm using a cane now. Out of work till next month. Hopefully I can get all these bikes put back together before I start back to work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts