V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches and couldn't find what I was looking for so I will ask everyone here.

What is the best cam for 2 up riding with a 2008 Ultra with the 96 inch engine. I have a stage 1 SE air cleaner and Bubs 7 True duals along with the new Sert??

I had it tuned with the above setup and it just don't pull like my 95 inch did with 203 cams.

Thank you

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cams

Do you anticipate making other moves to enhance the power?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Don't want to hijack this , but what if the only compression change you were willing to make was via a different head gasket, and no future changes planned?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I plan on keeping it stock except with the mods already done that I mentioned. I too am interested in the gasket question. Such as if a cometic was installed in place of the standard harley head gasket.

In the long run when this motor starts failing due to bearings or chains ect then I will be making major changes. But in the mean time I just want a good cam that will give a good powerband for two up riding through the whole rpm range if that is possible.

We will be pulling a trailer too on long trips.

Thank you

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
The Andrews 21H or 26H cams have more area under the curve than stock and will work with the stock compression. I'm sure there are other choices as well.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Gasket won't do much for compression, setting the quench will help cool the engine down and bring the torque up 3 or 4 notches. I like the Andrews 54 for chain and RR525 for gears for torque. Plus if you do head work later the cams will work better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have a 08 ultra also. i have rush slip ons se air cleaner and crane 6000 cams. i am very pleased with it after mods. i ride a lot of two up and dont feel as if the engine is lugging at two thousand rpm. i would not run it hard there but was unable to before mods. have it tuned with a sert. passing power? from 2800 to 5500 hauls and now runs cool. i am very pleased this is second bike with the crane 6000. se 204, andrews 26 are also good. i hear nothing beats se 255 cams from idle to 3500. i would think all of these would be great bolt ins.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I have a 07 with the 103 BB kit, T-Max and Rush slip on's, stock heads.

Just installed the Woods 6-6 cams and could not believe the
difference.......pulls very hard from 2200-6000.

Slight push - rod tick on the front exhaust, but nothing I cannot live
with.

I keep advancing the timing curves a little at a time. Runs better every
time with no ping as yet.

Very happy.

Geezer

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Onegeezer said:
I have a 07 with the 103 BB kit, T-Max and Rush slip on's, stock heads.

Just installed the Woods 6-6 cams and could not believe the
difference.......pulls very hard from 2200-6000.

Slight push - rod tick on the front exhaust, but nothing I cannot live
with.

I keep advancing the timing curves a little at a time. Runs better every
time with no ping as yet.

Very happy.

Geezer
Hey Geezer, did you at least go with a .030 head gasket to bump compression a little? That's sounds like a great combo and if you ever put some kick-ass heads and a good pipe on there, you'll have a fire breather! I like it! And they say it can't be done in stages ;)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
KingofCubes said:
Gasket won't do much for compression, setting the quench will help cool the engine down and bring the torque up 3 or 4 notches. I like the Andrews 54 for chain .

What about the 37? The 54 does not seem to be listed on the Andrews web site (or at least I couldn't find it).

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
wildey, remember, it's better to undercam than to overcam. From the sounds of it you don't want cams that "will work better with headwork."

Yes, yes I know, all cams work better with headwork. What I'm trying to say is buy cams for what you are going to run, not what you might run.

edited 'cause I forgot who I was talking to!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I agree better to have a cam that will work now vs later. But there are ways around that like say you wnat to go bigger later but it will be a year. You can use advance key or sprocket to work . Not uncommon for many customers that want more work but can only afford a cam now, so they have a 88 install a 26 and use a 2 or 4 degree key then pull it once you go to 95 inch. We have had great results doing that. There are olways two sides of the coin to look at. If you plan no other mods and are only going to install a cam then choose one that fits the current compression you have and your riding style.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Beadman:

The BB-103 takes the static compression from 9.2 as advertised on the
stock 96 inch to 9.8 on the 103. Was running about 185 cranking compression hot, before the cams were installed. Have not checked
the after compression as yet. Dealer installed the 103 kit before I
bought the bike, so I would assume it is the stock HD head gasket.

Geezer

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Onegeezer said:
Beadman:

The BB-103 takes the static compression from 9.2 as advertised on the
stock 96 inch to 9.8 on the 103. Was running about 185 cranking compression hot, before the cams were installed. Have not checked
the after compression as yet. Dealer installed the 103 kit before I
bought the bike, so I would assume it is the stock HD head gasket.

Geezer
Cool 1G, I have been thinking about that cam all along .....

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
For what it is worth.

Bob Woods told me the cam 6-6 with 510 lift should be dead quite.

He also told me he like to see the adjustable pushrods adjusted between
140-150 thousands. Figuring 32 threads per inch on my Screaming Eagle
crom-moly, that is about 4-1\2 turns.

Geezer

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
Here is a good cam from www.head-quarters.com

HQ-TC-500-HC “Hurricane” uses stock hydraulic chain tensioner system. This asymmetrical double patterned cam is an absolute winner as a bolt-in cam. It will increase power across the whole range and is compression friendly too. Designed as a bolt in replacement, it broadly enhances the power curve. If used in a 103 or larger motor (keeping compression at or below 10.5:1, this cam will still be compatible)

Intake 20/36 236 .500” lift

Exhaust 51/19 250 .500” lift

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
KingofCubes said:
37= 18/38 236
46/14 240

54= 19/39 238
43/15 238

Someone on this forum said that Andrews had changed the intake close to 42 degrees from the original 39 degrees, so, is the 39 correct?
:thanks:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The duration on the exhaust side of that hq cam is a bit long . I would choose a cam with less duration on the ex side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts