V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 60 miles on my carb'ed 88B and I was wondering what oil/intervals are best for the engine. I want to go inexpensive durring the break in period. No sence in putting in synthetic if i'm dumping it every couple hundred miles. Some friends of mine say change it now, some say wait to 100 miles. Any Help? Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Change it at 100 miles,then 500,then 1500. after that a minimum of every 2000. Do Not use synthetic till you have at least 2000>2500 miles on the engine. Then I would definately switch to synthetic.
There's no way I would buy Harley oil but thats up to you!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
What Kind Of Synthetic Oil?

How come no Harley oil? What kind of Synthetic oil is the best. Do you use Harley oil filters?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just spoke with HD Dealer on this one, recommended Redline. Apparently HD Racing is using this in their motors. They said if I put Mobil-1 in it would void my warranty because it’s to good. Gave me the roller bearing slippage story.;)

Also spoke with Mobil-1 tech line, they said HD can not void your warranty unless they put it in writing for using the oil. As long as you put in oil that meets or exceeds the API SH performance levels your in the clear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love my bike but hate the tactics of the "dealerships". I'm sure there are some very good ones out there but every time I walk into mine it's like "hey, you don't really want those $45 handle bars let me show you these $350 ones. Or "hey, you don't want those $25 mirrors, let me show you these billet $250 mirrors". I mean, come on. They always give me the "if you don't use harley oil (parts) you'll be asking for trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts