V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone was telling me about this product that you dump into your pipes to help the blueing. What is the best one to use? He said not to get the "cheaper" stuff and get the more expensive one. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
985 Posts
There is no such thing as anti-blue. One wrench told me a story about pipes that had this, the junk started flaking off inside the pipes and the engine happened to misfire on start, sucked the blue chips into the exhaust ports/chamber.
Had to have a rebuild.
You can, however, purchase hide-blue .
It comes in the form of full length heat shields.
And forget the blue-b-gone products, it makes ur pipe chrome cloudy.
That's about it bro.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
much appreciated! I was planning on painting them stove black when they get bad enough anyway. Love black pipes.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
May I ask what kind of bike and what sort of pipes? Seems like the best place to start to me.

Year and Model of bike?

EFI or Carb?

Number of miles?

Type of pipes?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There are any number of thermal barrier coatings out there, from the cheap and ineffective to the good and quite pricy.

To some extent even painting the inside of the pipes with high temperature paint, preferrably white, helps if baked in right. The determining factor is the state of tune of the bike.

B

·
0 Posts
My current bike shows no blue after 1800 miles. I rode my last bike for 6 years, with no blue. Of course both bikes had black pipes.... ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: The Blues...

MADCELT,

I'm currently running Samson Street Sweepers on my 95" hi-comp FXDX. I've got around a thousand miles on it since the build and they've turned just the slightest shade of gold about three inches down from the flange. Kind of a pretty gradient effect. Before installation I coated the insides with a Teflon lubricant and the jetting is spot on. If you run 'em lean, they'll blue up in no time.

Later,

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts