V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm leaving on a 5000 mile 2+ week road trip soon and was thinking about what i would do if my scoot should fail somewhere along the way...shes a 2001 ultra that i call Lafaunda and has had nothing but the best since i've had her, (just over a year), but we all know things happen so give me some advice on my options should something happen...harley owners group, AAA or some other motor club?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I carry a HOG atlas with a listing of all the shops and also have roadside assistance with my insurance company.
If you do not have a HOG atlas, then go online and print out the shops around the cities you will be near and the states you will be in. You can also use the yellow pages on line to find independent shops in the area you will be in. I have always been lucky enough to pull into a town with a shop when I have had problems.
I usually find a independent shop in most locations if I need parts.
Either service the bike or have it serviced before you leave. Nothing like preventive mainatance to avoid problems on the road.
Fresh tires and battery go a long way to avoid issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leaving mid may from dallas tx, going to key west fl, staying just far enough off the gulf coast to stay out of katrin's wake, from there up the east coast to ashville nc to ride the blue ridge parkway up and back, over to nashville to follow the natchez trace south, slide over and spend a few days in the texas hill country, and finally head home. plan set for 17 days 5000 miles. longest trip i've ever taken to date is the 2-3 day 500-700 mile variety.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
I agree with LittleBear, take your HD atlas with if you have one etc. lots of good info in there should something go wrong.

Only other thing I would add is to have a couple of bottles of water and something to snack on if you do have to wait beside the road for help.

Sounds like a fun ride! Enjoy yourself and be safe out there!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the scoots all serviced up, i keep her that way, new tires, 50k service, i've never had a failure before but... i'll get a harley atlas and keep the cell and credit card handy. i'd still like to here some stories of what ya'll did when your bikes failed on the road, i'm not sadistic, just looking for advice...tia SFB

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
SFB said:
the scoots all serviced up, i keep her that way, new tires, 50k service, i've never had a failure before but... i'll get a harley atlas and keep the cell and credit card handy. i'd still like to here some stories of what ya'll did when your bikes failed on the road, i'm not sadistic, just looking for advice...tia SFB
Well, I did a 6k ride last summer and didn't have any issues. I only encountered one bike along the way that actually had a problem, flat tire, and when I stopped to see if he needed anything, he had already called his roadside service and they were on the way. He had plenty of water and said everything was covered, so I went on about my way.

So, all I did was ride and take a few hundred pictures. If you are all serviced up, then you are ready to roll! Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I subscribe to AAA you have to buy the RV add-on (they consider bikes as RV's) but it is only about 30bucks a year, and depending on what state you get your mrmbership in they will tow up to 100miles for free. I had a stator go out between El Centro CA and Yuma,AZ a while back and the nearest shop was in Yuma 60+ miles away. If you have been this route you know once you leave El Centro it is about 75 miles of nothing but desert, AAA had a tow truck out to me within 30 min, and had found a shop that could get me in and out that day. I also had the pull part of my throttle cable snap as I was cruising through Death Valley with no shop within probaly 100 miles, I found a piece of nylon string along the road and tied it on my throttle control on the side of my TB and ran it up to my right grip with a loop in it to put my finger through and rode to the next town with a shop using that as my throttle control. Would I reccomend this ...NO but you do what you have to do to get to the next town. It is amazing what you can come up with when the chips are down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Everyone has made great suggestions, the Harley Atlas that has all the shops listed (usually get a new copy every year with HOG renewal). Any kind of towing insurance (AAA, HOG, etc.) is recommened if it is something you can't fix on the side of the road. I usually keep a small set of tools, extra bulbs and fuses on my Classic.

I did have some problems on a trip to New England a few years back. A few minor things I was able to get to a nearby HD shop and get parts I needed to fix. Then my cams went, but was about 30 miles from a HD dealer. They sent out a trailer, picked us up, and fixed the problem. I knew the cams could go on the 2000 models at any time because of an issue they had with cams that year, it just happened to occur on our trip on the way home.

You should be fine, as long as you keep the bike well maintained, I have close to 50,000 miles on my classic and on trips throughout the Midwest I had last year, no problems whatsoever, I think the New England trip problems was a coincedence. Have a great time, sounds like an awesome ride!

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you’re a HOG member add the “Road America” towing service. I think is only $10.00. (1-888-443-5896)
Also check out the “IronButt” web site http://www.ironbutt.org/
They have some great touring tips.
Wish I were going along.

Kenny

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok i get it... stop worrying about what might or could happen and enjoy myself...thanks, i'll try... we leave in 59 days and I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER! we've been semi-planning for around a year now. work as good as it is still SUCKS in comparison... thanks again

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
SFB said:
leaving mid may from dallas tx, going to key west fl, staying just far enough off the gulf coast to stay out of katrin's wake
Taking a simular trip in mid-May to Key West also but pulling a trailer. I am figuring 10-12 days from Kansas City area to Key West and back. Going out through St.Louis , Memphis, going to ride the Dragon then on to Ashville and down to KW. Then back along gulf Coast turning North in Louisiana up through Ark on Hwy 7 then 40w to OKC then North I-35 back into Kansas Already did a couple of KC to Denver runs and back and going to do one more as a tune up / shake down.

My road side assistance plan is getting my Ultra running in tip top shape before leaving, a VISA card, and a cell phone. Other than that I am not going to worry.....

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
If your going to make any changes or do any major service before you leave, do it sooner rather than later. Gives any self/dealer inflicted problems a chance to reveal themselves before you leave. I won't do much beyond oil, air and gas for two weeks before I go if I don't have to. Then again maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had a catastrophic battery failure last Labor Day. I called the HOG Roadside Assistance. The operator was new and sent a tow truck from 300 miles away (or at least tried to. The driver cancelled when he found out where I was.) The State Police helped me get a tow truck, which took me to a Harley dealer that was open. I complained to HOG Roadside Assistance and they paid the tow and apologized for the mix up.

This year I needed spark plugs and used the HOG atlas to find the nearest dealer and get plugs.

I'd say having the HOG atlas and roadside assistance is the minimum. After that, get service before leaving. Put on new tires if you are getting close, check/change fluids, make sure everything is tight. Carry along a few spares -fuses, bulbs, bolts, wire, etc. And, of course a tool kit. If you can make minor repairs to get you going again, you might be able to get to a service center without a tow.

If you get a tow, be sure the driver has the proper vehicle and tie-downs for picking up a bike. Have him check for his tie-downs before he leaves the garage. Mine didn't and they weren't under the seat where he thought they were. He had to go back and buy a set. I had a long wait. So I guess it would be a good idea to have water, snacks, and a good book to read.

Next trip I'm going to fill a one pint bottle with oil and take it along to top off if needed and not have to carry a whole qt. Someone here suggested taping the lid shut and putting it in a plastic bag. Sounds good to me.

You might want a motel directory for your favorite chain, too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i'll keep an eye pealed for ya mr hughes, we could easily cross paths as we get close to the keys. my buddy and i plan on getting there on or around the 18th or 19th of may. my scoot is a black 01 ultra and my buddy rides a new maroon, (whisper), goldwing...

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
An ounce of prevention. Steer clear of freshly oil and gravelled roads (if they do that back there). Saw a group of bikes at a dealer in Idaho waiting for new pulleys. The riders were on a road trip and went through a fairly fresh patch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks bryan, i live on a rual (sp) road in a dallas suburb and they do that right past my house about every two years... their supposed to sweep off the excess but they can and do miss spots...and i usually use pounds of prevention...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Have fun in the Keys, I've been stationed there and it's a nice ride down. My advice is to hit Florida City around 10 AM, that gets you into the Keys for lunch and you'll have plenty of time to get all the way to Key West and still see the sights. You could also stay in Fl City, they have most of the chain motels, and start out whenever you get up!

Be careful as the drivers are nuts. Plan an out.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
We rode to Sturgis last year from Atlanta. It was the first long trip I've taken on the bike with my GPS. I pre-programmed in every H-D dealer within 25 miles of our route. It came in handy as we were in the rain for hours and I had a half helmet and tried every combination of glasses, goggles, etc. and I just plain couldn't see well. I punched up the Waypoints list and there was an H-D dealer 2 exits up. Got there right as they closed and I bought a full-face helmet. That helmet made a huge difference riding in steady rain from Kansas City to Mt. Vernon IL. I'll be taking that with me also on all future long trips.

A GPS also gives you information like:
What is on each exit. Hotels, food, stores, etc.
Nice to know how far you have left.
If there is heavy traffic somewhere, you can easily route around it without getting off the bike and looking at a map.
It will log your trip.
Lots of benefits.

I have about $700 tied up in my GPS. I have it mounted in my Tundra every day and pop it out and put it on the bike when we go on 100+ miles rides on the weekend. Its nice not having to plan weekend routes. Just get on the bike and head in a general direction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my buddy that i'm riding with has a gps on his scoot...they are really cool and handy, but i'm a old school map and road sign kind of guy. he has every 1/4 inch of this 5000 mile trip mapped out, and is bringing his lap top if changes need to be made so we're more than covered thanks to his abilities with that kind of hardware...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts