V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have some polished aluminum parts , belt drive rotors an so on , want to use something so they wont dull quickly, whats the best thing to use thanks

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
you could always try clear coating, but everything I've heard is carnuba wax is the best thing. I've polished a few parts and haven't come across the magic bullet yet. Mother's is good for a few months. I've tried the carnuba wax but it doesn't seem to be any better than anything else. Good luck in your search, let me know if ya find the "one"

·
Registered
541 Posts
Metal Gloss, bar none. Use the green cleaner and then follow with the polish / sealer... Made my billet alum. rocker boxes look like chrome, so much so that I used to get asked if my bike came with the "chrome" rocker boxes or if I installed them myself...LOL Go to their website and check it out.

I work in avialtion where our customers demand chrome looking finishes on bare aluminum. I have tried it all, (including all the most popular, highly publicized products), and nothing, (nothing....), can compare. Not even close to the Metal Gloss results.

Try it. You won't be disappointed...

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I found without a doubt the best solution to the aluminum fatboy wheels, exchanged them for chrome!:laugh:

Lefty

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I agree...MOTHERS is really good polish. Then apply and maintain a coat of good wax. I use Meguires Gold and it seems to be fine. That's what I use on my paint too...the Gold.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Metal Gloss, bar none. Use the green cleaner and then follow with the polish / sealer... Made my billet alum. rocker boxes look like chrome, so much so that I used to get asked if my bike came with the "chrome" rocker boxes or if I installed them myself...LOL Go to their website and check it out.

I work in avialtion where our customers demand chrome looking finishes on bare aluminum. I have tried it all, (including all the most popular, highly publicized products), and nothing, (nothing....), can compare. Not even close to the Metal Gloss results.

thanks for the tip, I'll check it out...

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
example of Mother's.... But I will sure try that Metal Gloss next trip to the store.

The wheels on my 1995 Wideglide are older (1996) Performance Machine polished aluminum. (The picture does not do them justice) The Mother's has done a really great job for me but I am very curious to try the Metal Gloss. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
if you want the best polish for your dull aluminum use blue magic i use it on all the parts i do after they are done

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
example of Mother's.... But I will sure try that Metal Gloss next trip to the store.

The wheels on my 1995 Wideglide are older (1996) Performance Machine polished aluminum. (The picture does not do them justice) The Mother's has done a really great job for me but I am very curious to try the Metal Gloss. Thanks.
Steve, your Alum. wheel looks awesome. Have you simply hand-polished it or have you done any other "special " polishing to get it to look that good?

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Dave,
The wheels are cnc and you can see the machining "grain". I try to always apply polish along those lines and do the same when polishing with a cloth. My son bought me a Mother's polishing ball and it works well too but it really is no faster, or better, than good old elbow grease. As I said before, these wheels are PM and are 11-12 yeas old. The are a few small spots that will take some deep polishing and TIME to get clear. I will put it on the lift one of these days in the garage and just spend a few hours working on just the wheels after I wash and clean the bike. Making the wheels look new will be a project that day.

I was looking on the website for "THE BOM" polishes and cleaners and I noticed the Springer in the picture had these exact wheels. I had never seen another se besides mine so I contacted the president of company and he answered right back that it was his bike and they were old PM wheels. That pic is no longer on the site as far as I can tell but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the products...I just haven't ordered any yet.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
After trying many products that were good,,,,Ill stick with the best. Metal gloss Polish!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I use metal gloss and the sealer, but I also use gord's, I think I found it on this site, but do a google search, the stuff works great on aluminum and chrome, I go back and forth between the gords and metal gloss, when its real dirty like my rear wheel I use the gords, otherwise the gloss.

·
Registered
11 Posts

++++1 I have used the Metal Gloss/Sealer on a Sportbike I use to have with a polished frame, and it worked like a champ!!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been using "Britemax" for a couple of years now when I polish aluminum.
Sounds like the "Metal Gloss" mentioned here. Maybe the same stuff. (green polish, white sealer) Amazing products and makes aluminum and stainless shine like chrome.

EASY CUT then FINAL SHINE http://www.britemax.com/easycut.html

·
Reconstructed
72 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had to deal with oxidation and pitting on aluminum. I bought a used Buell Blast out of Florida and the salt in the air left the wheels in poor condition. I have been using Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish by Meguiars, but after two weekends of elbow grease, it still needs something more. Will the Metal Gloss work on oxidation?

And I have some scratches on the plastic that Mothers isn't lifting...any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
you probably need to use some real fine wet/dry sandpaper to get the deep oxidation off the wheel and such, I don't think any polish is going to work that deep unless you were using some type of machine to apply it, I would lightly sand, then go back to polish, then throw some wax on it.

·
Reconstructed
72 Posts
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks Y2K, appreciate the response.
I used fine steel wool to get most of the surface crud off before taking the cleaner to it. I am using a scrubber sponge, the rough side, to apply the Hot Rims. I went as far as hooking up my dremel with the buffer wheel to it, but that was like cleaning Mt Rushmore with a toothbrush. Well onward and upward. Its a learner bike and I have having more fun riding it than I am cleaning it, for sure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts