V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
old timer
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to tell all of you about the benefits I have derived from my participation in Biker forums on the internet.

Over the past four years, I have participated in three or four different forums on the 'net.' As a result of that endeavor I have met at least 25 riders from across this land and several foreign countries.

Hippo and I met two years ago after havong become friends at least a year before we met...we rode to Colorado together and met Boomer, Creep, Ralph, Hooter Tommy, XL95th and a few others.

JimmyK and I have known each other for three or more years and have ridden together many times. JimmyT has been out here with and without his family at least three times. When I made my cross country journey earlier this year I was fortunate enough to meet with 8-10 more of the people I've met on this computer.

JohnS in Reno has become a good friend and we have spent many weekends riding around the twisties together.

Yesterday a friend I made several years ago from Chile arrived at my home to visit and bench race. I have had friends from Germany, England and now South America grace me with their visits and in three years I have covered 30,000+ miles in the pursuit of meeting the many folks I've corresponded with on the net.

I have yet to have a bad contact or one that I regret. I have partied with a great number of people who I never would have met except for this media.

More of you should try to do the same...it has proven a worthwhile and gratifying experience and I am grateful for the opportunities it has afforded me.

I have a little black book of names addresses and phone numbers that I can use to plan trips across the country and hardly ever have need to stay in a motel or otherwise alone. I can find a 'friend' in almost every state and have done just that. I am very fortunate to have found the boards on the web to provide me with these people. THey have enriched my life more than I can tell you.

Try It you'll like it.

manny

·
Registered
130 Posts
agreed... add to that the home-grown tours of their home towns that you wouldn't get if you were just blowing through town, including home-cooked meals, and a nice guest bedroom..... have run into many through the internet in my travels. Even some non-bikers.

Dunno about a lot of you folks in here, though - this is a really sick, degenerate group. All this talk about smokin' dope and naked women and drinkin'... I'm praying for each and every one of ya. Let's bow our heads.....

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
MannyBro,

Seeing the pic of Orc standing in front of your garage said a lot to me. This is a great medium for meeting "like minded riders".

Next year, our two brothers from Chili are supposed to load the scoots on planes and hook up with us.

Hell yea this is cool!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Been there, done that. Trust me, we would be much better off if we did the flying. LOL.

ps. I believe JimmyK got a little taste, metaphorically speaking of course, in Brazil.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
HIPPO said:
Been there, done that. Trust me, we would be much better off if we did the flying. LOL.

ps. I believe JimmyK got a little taste, metaphorically speaking of course, in Brazil.

Ya know, now that you mention it, why the hell are we allowing them to come here when we could go there?

When I was in Brazil I damn near defected! :eek:

The only thing that stopped me was that would have killed my four trips a year to Amsterdam. :D

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
This past weekend I had a fellow I met on net - www.j&pcycles.com tech forum page - stay at my house as he and wife made cross country trip from California. They've been out about 33 days now and are in Louisiana now heading back home. Probably be 2 more weeks before they get there as they have others to meet. They also have stayed at other folks places they have met as well as camped out sometimes.

It is kind of cool to talk to people for a while and then get to meet them finally and hang out together. Hell, we're trying to get together a Georgia members(of this site) ride sometimes in October so we can all meet and just ride together.

I remember in 1990, the company I worked for 12 year went out of business. Sad that people I had talked to almost daily for that 12 year period I never had a chance to meet in person. Once of saddest notes I received during that time was from a guy who sent his final farewell when they shut down his office. He had been with company 30 years(almost from day 1 since it had only been in business 33 yrs.) and wanted to tell everyone goodbye.

·
old timer
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smokey,

I check the board a couple of times a day at least and contribute when I feel I can. SOmetimes I try to keep my mouth shut and read what is being said.

I am only tempted to post when I can offer something of value, otherwise I am learning from all of you.

manny

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Oh Hell, if I lived in Napa I would have better things to do too! LOL!

Wine
Redwoods
The Coast
Wine Country
The Mountains
Wine

Man! "Houston we have a PROBLEM!"

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Agree 100 %

I have to agree with Manny. There are a lot of good people here and elsewhere on the net. I want to share a short story with all of you.

I am in the process of doing an 883-1200 conversion. After calling all around this little dot I call home, I could not find anyone I trusted to do some engine work for me. I sent a couple of private messages to a certain individual who hooked me up with the right people . Now I have the confidence that my project will be done correctly. I cannot tell you what that meant to me. No one here had to take the time , or make the effort to help me out. These are complete strangers, if you will. For I have never met any of the people involved, although one day I hope to do just that. Don't want to make this too windy, just wanted to say THANK YOU to ALL involved. :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Manny and my other friends I've met here, You are all welcome to my humble abode for as long as you wish, anytime you pass through Central Massachusetts. Even if you can't stay, I know a couple places and twisty roads that we can enjoy together during your stay. I can't say I've ever conversed with a finer bunch of folks that I have here. I am sure glad this has been brought up. JimmyK, When were you in Brazil? I did a week there with the USS America in July 1977. :Dennis

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
fourhour said:
JimmyK, When were you in Brazil? I did a week there with the USS America in July 1977. :Dennis
4 x 60, I was in Brazil March 2000. Stayed in a Mountain Town called Petropolis.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Did Rio for a week of duty free R&R and a few days in, Recife i think it was called. Thought maybe you might have been on the same tour cuz if I remember right, I believe you are a year younger than my 46 y/o azz, almost to the day!:D (Your messages give a hint of military service although I think you may be too smart for that shyt)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts