V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have this happen? Just noticed this the other day after adjusting the preload on my shocks to minimum. The top of the belt is rubbing against the top of the primary cover where the belt first goes in. When I get a passenger on, it really gets bad. I figured I would bottom out before this would happen? Guess I'll have to readjust the preload. Thanks for any input.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Have you lowered your bike? If not, looks like you already figured out the solution.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I agree, is the bike lowered? This is not normal at all and the preload shouldn't drop the bike enough to cause this.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Belt rubbing on primary cover

Just noticed this thread.I have a Deluxe which has been lowered front and rear by approximately 2 inches and the top of the belt looks like it's catching on something as there seems to be some wear visible on the outside.I've also noticed a whirring noise which is more apparent when the other half's on the back.Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the bike has been lowered. I used the white brothers lowering kit for the rear. I haven't lowered the front. I think the kit says it will lower it a maximum of 2".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
softlux said:
Just noticed this thread.I have a Deluxe which has been lowered front and rear by approximately 2 inches and the top of the belt looks like it's catching on something as there seems to be some wear visible on the outside.I've also noticed a whirring noise which is more apparent when the other half's on the back.Any ideas?
Yep, thats exactly what mine does. If you take a flashlight you can look at the top of the primary where the belt first goes in and you can see if it's wore or somethings been rubbing on it.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
pipes said:
Yep, thats exactly what mine does. If you take a flashlight you can look at the top of the primary where the belt first goes in and you can see if it's wore or somethings been rubbing on it.
Yeah, just had a look with a torch and it looks like it's rubbing where you said.I guess it's because it's been lowered too much? Would that explain that when i've got the wife on the back the whirring is more noticable?Thanks for your reply Pipes.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Sort of removing material from the inner primary I think you may be SOL. I'm sure someone here will give you a more definitive answer though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
softlux said:
Yeah, just had a look with a torch and it looks like it's rubbing where you said.I guess it's because it's been lowered too much? Would that explain that when i've got the wife on the back the whirring is more noticable?Thanks for your reply Pipes.
softlux, I don't know what kind of lowering kit you have, but I know that mine did not rub before I readjusted the preload. Tonight I'm going to adjust it back to where it was. Only reason I changed it, was to get it as low as possible (looks good). To answer your question, yes it will get worse with a passenger. I noticed a noise when hitting bumps by myself, and then with a passenger I noticed the "whirring" noice almost constantly. I would try adjusting your preload or if you have adjustable shocks, raise the bike a little.
To adjust the preload, you'll need a spanner wrench.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
pipes said:
softlux, I don't know what kind of lowering kit you have, but I know that mine did not rub before I readjusted the preload. Tonight I'm going to adjust it back to where it was. Only reason I changed it, was to get it as low as possible (looks good). To answer your question, yes it will get worse with a passenger. I noticed a noise when hitting bumps by myself, and then with a passenger I noticed the "whirring" noice almost constantly. I would try adjusting your preload or if you have adjustable shocks, raise the bike a little.
To adjust the preload, you'll need a spanner wrench.
Pipes,My set up is a Ness lowering kit and I will try adjusting the preload setting.
I need to get hold of one of those spanner wrenches from my dealer to do it though.
Thanks for the advice,cheers mate.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Wondered what was rubbing on mine! I've got mine lowered with the Progressive shocks and have about 10k miles on the lowered ride. The belt has worn on the back, but it is not extreme. I figured I would open it up in another week or two to see whether there is a fix, short of raising the bike back up.

FYI, with 10k miles on the lowered ride the wear is only about 1/16" deep (or less). It starts about 1/3 of the belt width in from the left side of the belt, and ends about 3/16" in from the right side of the belt. I've got the bike dropped as far as the Progressive lowering springs will allow, and this seems to be the max wear. I don't recall any belt whine in the beginning, but regardless, I don't have any now. I guess it's worn as much as it is going to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GPO03FatBoy said:
Wondered what was rubbing on mine! I've got mine lowered with the Progressive shocks and have about 10k miles on the lowered ride. The belt has worn on the back, but it is not extreme. I figured I would open it up in another week or two to see whether there is a fix, short of raising the bike back up.

FYI, with 10k miles on the lowered ride the wear is only about 1/16" deep (or less). It starts about 1/3 of the belt width in from the left side of the belt, and ends about 3/16" in from the right side of the belt. I've got the bike dropped as far as the Progressive lowering springs will allow, and this seems to be the max wear. I don't recall any belt whine in the beginning, but regardless, I don't have any now. I guess it's worn as much as it is going to.
Ya, it took me awhile to figure this out. I looked at the belt guard thinking that might be it and finally with a flashlight saw the wear mark on the inner primary. It's funny they don't mention this as a warning or possibility in the lowering kit instructions.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:

Well if you've managed 10k no problem, whats a whine!I think i'll just let it bed in.I must admit that the 'whine' does seem to be getting less the more miles I do.Perhaps i should chill a little.

·
FXR
117 Posts
form vs. function is always an issue with harley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts