V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried to get my bike started this weekend, it was rather cold and it didn't want to fire so I ended up running the battery down, called a bud to come over and help me push start it, the second try the belt snaped right in to. I had put a new belt on Last summer, a Gates belt from Midwest. So now the bike is in pieces again putting a new belt back on, what a pain to change a belt on a softail, at least its cool so working out in the garage is pleasant, unlike the last time I did it, was 100 degrees outside and the garage was a sauna. Love my softail but replaceing the belt is such a pain. Just taking my time and cleaning and greasing everything good so I should be good for any rides I want to take this summer without having any problem. This time more than ever makes me wish I had bought a nice air compressor so I could use a impact wrench which is needed to get the primary drive off as you know, now I'm trying to find a friend with one that I can just borrow but that will definitly be my next major purchase. I also had a small oil leak from the last time I installed a belt, cause I also added a larger Tranny pulley to smooth it out some on the freeway, leaked just enough to get everything nice and dirty, so I'll take my time and fix that to. Just venting my frustration, course its all self induced. Later
Mongo
1988 Softail
SW Okla.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Sorry to hear that your belt broke, at least you weren't somewhere in the middle of nowhere all alone. Good luck with the repairs .

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Ditto!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Mongo38 said:
the second try the belt snaped right in to.
Ouch!! You sure are going thru belts quickly if you replaced one last summer.. Alignment problems?? or Throttle twisting??

Good luck

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
belts

I had to replace it last year because I learned a valuable lesson, don't let a so called friend ride your bike, was at a rally and he somehow got some telephone line wrapped around the rear axle and under the belt which tore about have to the teeth loose this then caused them to start coming off completly was missing about 14 teeth when I got around to replacing it. I couldn't believe this new one broke, guess the tourqe of push starting it and the fact that it was about 30 degrees had something to do with it. I had it aligned correctly and I don't hotrod so I don't know.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hab, you're saying to have 1/2 inch of play "with" rider weight on the bike? Have checked mine without. It would be tighter with rider on it after adjusting with no rider. Did I say that right?

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I know what the problem was, Mongo. It's that crummy SW Oklahoma weather! There are two seasons there....hot/windy and cold/windy. I'm originally from Altus. :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If the new belt was over bent, squeezed, or such it could have damage on the inside that you would not have seen. Still sucks that that happened and even worse that you didn’t say your bud was going to pay for the 1 he trashed.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
cromagnum said:
Hab, you're saying to have 1/2 inch of play "with" rider weight on the bike? Have checked mine without. It would be tighter with rider on it after adjusting with no rider. Did I say that right?
I did say that... I should have been more specific. If you have approx. 1/2" of play in the belt with no weight on the bike that's close. The manual for my Dyna specifys 5/16" - 3/8". If you put a rider your weight on the bike it should take up that slack and be pretty tight.
Thanks for catching that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trooper I think the weather in Altus is even worse but your right, one thing you can always count on here is the wind will be blowing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.