V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of or have friends that have had their drive belt snap ? I'm just curious seems like there might be a batch of bad OEM belts out there.
On four bikes this season I have seen drive belts snap two on friends bikes one Sportster 1200 stock with 28000 mi. and one Softtail built with only 1800 mi.
It seemed like a good place in this General talk section to post so everyone can be aware if this is truly a belt problem or other issues are the problem.
Sure fu(ks your day when you have to ride your bro two up to get the trailer. LOL

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, I have a friend who just snapped a belt. Of course he was doing a wheelie too. LoL

Amazingly, they replaced it without charging him anything. He said the Dealer turned it in to HD on some kind of goodwill program or something and they paid it. He also said they mentioned something about having some belt problems lately.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Probably doesn't mean anything here cuz it was on a Big Dog but a friend of mine snapped a belt at the end of last season (Ohio) and another early on this season.

-jeff

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weakest link

Yeah,I thought I remebered reading something about the Motor Co having problems during a certain year, but I don't remember where I read it or what year. I was under the impression these belts were good for about 70.000
The bikes I mentioned were different years and the Softtail is very healthy and under wot when it snaped. He said he will be changing over to chain drive.
The sporty was in forth gear and not under a lot of torque.
I was just thinking maybe there was something like a bad batch of belts or some adjustment or alinment that hadn't been made.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There was a bad batch of belts, on the 2000 models if I remember correctly. Most belt breaks occur because the owner has the belt too loose, the belts are much more reliable than chains in my experiences. If you end up riding on a gravel road without your lower belt guard in place, I would inspect your belt. I make it a habit of inspecting my belt before any long rides.

JMS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts