V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
This is my first post to the board. Glad to join you all.

Belt Banging

I'm wondering if any of you are experiencing the "belt banging" noise that I have on my V-Rod. It occurs whenever you lug the motor a little. At first I thought it might be detonation or something. I mean, who knows what detonation sounds like on this motor right? But as I listened to it more and more, I started thinking it was the belt hitting the belt guard up near the front sprocket. Again, it only happens when you lug the motor.

I took the bike in for its first service yesterday. The mechanic stated that he has heard this noise on quite a few V-Rods. He's experimented with loosening and tightening belt tension with no discernable improvements. So I was wondering if any of you have experienced this. And if so, have you been able to correct it? Overall, it doesn't impact my riding very much. It's rare that I lug the motor like that.

Exhaust Questions

I had the dealer install the SE Stage 1 pipes, air cleaner, and ECM remap before I picked up the bike. I've been reading a lot here about how expensive that is. I'm telling you all, IT'S DIRT CHEAP! I paid like $650 for all three of those things! If you have any experience at all with upgrading your exhaust on a bike, you know how cheap the SE Stage 1 is. I'm a Rice Rocket junkie and my current ride is a 02 ZX12R. I spent close to $1500 getting an exhaust put on that thing! On my last bike, a ZX9, I spent $550 on a Muzzy's slip on alone without a rejet or air cleaner. So put things in perspective here. The Stage 1 kit is a steal for the money and added performance it gives your V-Rod.

That said, IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH! At least that's what my wife tells me. The V-Rod is technically her bike. We upgraded from a 96 883 Hugger that sported Cycle Shack pipes. So she is accustomed to a good rumble as she cruises down the road. I have noticed that the SE's are getting louder as we stack on the miles (1700 now). And I'm wondering if I can simply modify that slip-on to get a little extra volume.

I'm not into the Samson's because of other experiences I've had. Not with the Samson product, but with any full exhaust on a FI bike. Even with a Power Commander you never seem to get the fueling to where it was stock. There will be dead spots all over the place. Unless you're willing to take the bike to a Dynojet 250 with a sniffer and allow a computer to calibrate your PCIIIR, you're not gonna get it right. That'll generally run you an extra $300 on top of what you already spent.

So a full system and Power Commander is not an option for me. I'm just looking for a little more volume. To that end, do you think it's possible to just ground down the baffles a little bit in the slip-on? The dealer did that to the stock pipes on my father's FXDL. It has a nice low rumble now that is not obnoxious and cost next to nothing. I'm thinking you could do the same thing to the SE Slip-ons. This would increase your volume without sacrificing too much back pressure and not requiring a re-map of any kind. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you think it would work? Has anyone even seen the baffles in the slip-on? Or is this just a dumb idea?

P.S. I'm as far from an actual mechanic as you can get. So it's OK to speak to me in plain english or tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
318 Posts
if your talking about the double barrel pipes you can take the baffles out and remove the wrapping and they sound a lot better.if you have the first pipes they dont come out but i hear you can drill holes in them and remove the packing. as far as the power commander i have it on mine with the double barrel pipes and it runs great.the sampson pipes were crap and actually slowed me down.

·
Registered
477 Posts
gpp,

You say you have the 16 guage pipes and a PC3 on your bike, did you have the air sensor relocated? Did you have the ecm reprogram too, or just relying on the pc3?

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have not relocated my air sensor because the program is for only the 2002 model.yes i only have the pc and have had no problems what so ever.this is my fourth pc and have never had any problems.it sure is nice to make changes if you need to which is the reason people buy it.give it a try,i think you will like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad link man. Can you post that one again?

And more on this exhaust thing. I'm 100% happy with the performance of my V-Rod in its current form. A little more volume would be nice. But I'm not out to change fuel curves and ignition timing. So, with the original SE slip-on, can the baffles be cut down a bit? Does that thing have a traditional baffle? Anyone have any experience taking one of those apart. Before I take it off the bike and look inside, I was just wondering if anyone else already has.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is the corect link.
Bub has sut the site down.
Most of the info will be up on a new site soon.
Keep an eye on the bubbent thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts