V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Agree with the quick finish approach. I'm thinking it would close all doors to any other claims this guy comes up with too. Lifes too short to get stressed out on stuff like this. Pay 'em and forget 'em. Good Luck

· Registered
46 Posts
yup karma baby!!

not ta beat a dead horse but i've got a question for you good'ol boys in texas. here in n.y. if your a private seller there is no implied warranty (buyer beware state) so if ya buy something shitty your stuck with it. some states (maybe texas) even a private seller has some implied warranty for some amount of time.

just curious

· Registered
367 Posts
Sorry for your loss bro' that pendejo will get what's coming to him in the long run. Seeking "revenge" or payback will only cost you more, the penny thing is hilarious but whose to say he makes a stink and says it all wasn't there etc.. then it only makes you look immature and with bad feelings, he'd probably get another "judgement" in his favor. I do like the wipe your arse with the check idea.
The world is full of jerks like this guy.
Keep a cool head and ride safe.

· Registered
85 Posts
ksims1868 said:
I agree with wbass...its not worth my credit rating even though its not that great.
I have taken this as a lesson learned. I WILL be paying this jerk in pennies. They will be in separate ziplock bags and the amount written on each bag.
Hey, you could pay him in one dollar bills, and on each bill in big black marker write unflattering things about his mater, make disparaging remarks about his sexuality, all kinds of lovely stuff. He'll spend the money but it will cost him a bit of dignity with each of those bills he turns in.

Although, if your court judgement settlement is like the ones in my county, you have to pay the Court Clerk in cash or money order, and after verifying the amount for the court records the Clerk cuts a check for the amount payable to the winner of the suit. If this is the case the judge may get a bit upset when he sees a bunch of dollar bills making fun of his mother's military footware. :)

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Texas "used car rules" or "buyer beware" statutes address the issue of implied warranties. Texas is considered to be a buyer beware state as well. Unless you happen to be in front of the wrong judge on the wrong day!

· DR EVO
1,631 Posts
if you know where he lives id pay him a personal visit and try to reconcile the matter. after he figures you are there to pay up and accepts you on his property, id nonchaluantly have a little stumble on his sidewalk and fall on the ground floundering around and screamin "my back!, my back!" id see where that got ya. probably wouldnt hurt to have a witness accompany.

· Registered
230 Posts
In the event that you do pay him directly and he knows anything, he does not have to accept pennies as they are not considered legal tender. The smallest legal tender in the U.S. is the dollar. Get a money order and go thru the court. Clean and less pain for you and that's what matters.

Cheers

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Legal Tender

That is an interesting statement Big AL. I am not sure if your post is totally accurate. Here is a direct quote from the United States Treasury Dept. FAQ section that addresses that issue.

QUESTION: I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

ANSWER: The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 102. This is now found in section 392 of Title 31 of the United States Code. The law says that: "All coins and currencies of the United States, regardless of when coined or issued, shall be legal-tender for all debts, public and private, public charges, taxes, duties and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

· Registered
12 Posts
Call the guy up. Offer to give him a third of the judgment amount or you will appeal. Settle for half the amount of the judgement. Otherwise, if in California, make him enforcement the judgment unless you're worried about your credit rating. Don't give him a dime without having him sign some sort of "Satisfaction of Judgment" Form. If you're in small claims, get one from the clerk and make sure you file it. Credit Agencies do data sweeps of public records and will pick up a judgment as "unsatisfied" unless you file the form. If you're not in small claims, go to the court clerk. Good luck!!!!!!!!

· Registered
7,250 Posts
FXDeanX said:
Call the guy and tell him your cousin from NJ is visiting for the holidays. Tell that your cousin's hobby is stabbing scumbags in the eyes with an ice pick. Finish off with, "Have a nice day, scumbag!"

GOOD THOUGHT BUT IT WOULD NEVER WORK. GUYS FROM tEXAS AIN'T ASCARED A NOBODY FROM NJ. Ya know? :D

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.