V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to bikes, and have a '02 Sportster, 1200. I just put screaming eagle slip ons to make it sound like a harley instead of a quad. I would like to do some relatively inexpensive upgrades to my bike. (moving to Washington state, and want to be able to negotiate the mountains with ease) I talked to the dealership, and they said the best way for me to go was the Screaming Eagle Pro XL bolt in hydraulic cams, with a dynojet thunderslide kit, and SE rev limiter that goes to 6800 rpm. What do you all think? I already have the SE high flow air cleaner. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Instead of Dyno Jet kit from stealer buy 2 jets: slow jet # 45 (stock jet on 99 - later carburator Dyna and other Twin Cams) and main jet #180 or main jet #200 (if you will use "hot" cams). Total cost will be around $10.

·
Banned
871 Posts
usmcsportster said:
I am new to bikes, and have a '02 Sportster, 1200. I just put screaming eagle slip ons to make it sound like a harley instead of a quad. I would like to do some relatively inexpensive upgrades to my bike. (moving to Washington state, and want to be able to negotiate the mountains with ease) I talked to the dealership, and they said the best way for me to go was the Screaming Eagle Pro XL bolt in hydraulic cams, with a dynojet thunderslide kit, and SE rev limiter that goes to 6800 rpm. What do you all think? I already have the SE high flow air cleaner. Thanks for any and all help.
First, ditch the SE parts and go aftermarket. At least that's my opinion. I'm sure others might disagree. In over 25 years of building Harleys, I have found that there are much better performing parts out there for less money than the parts sold by HD.

I hope you have a good dealer... there are a lot of substandard ones out there who just want your money. Did you to talk to the tech in the shop about recommended upgrades or the guy behind the parts counter. Find out how much experience the tech has (ask him and ask other customers... this is VERY important!!). The parts guy or manager might just try to sell you the most expensive parts when you don't really need them. Better yet, find an independent HD performance shop to do the work. You will usually end up with more bang for your buck.

If I were you, I'd try the following as a good starting point:

Your air cleaner should be ok if you use a K&N filter. BTW.... Don't fall for the Hypercharger farce. It's a waste of money and hurts performance.

I've heard mixed opinions on the Thunderslide.

Get some good pipes. If you want to save money and use slip-ons, the Cycle Shack pipes will perform a lot better than the SE ones. Better yet, if you want the bike to pull really hard from idle on up, then go with a good 2-1 system. The Thunderheader or the V&H Pro-Pipe are about the best choices in that area. They both sound awesome, too! Mellow while cruising, but they really bark when getting on the throttle.

Cam choice will depend on what kind of performance you are looking for. If you want a bike that runs great on the street at engine speeds that you are at regularly, then go for something with low duration and higher lift. The longer the duration, the later (higher rpm) the strongest pulling power will come on. The Andrews N2 (or another brand with similar specs) is a good starting point. The SE cam has a lot more duration, so it will run like a dog below about 3500 rpm.

Ignition..... I like the Dyna 2000i. The Crane Hi4 is also pretty good. They both perform far better than the SE system, IMO.

One thing to remember, since you are new to Harleys, is that TORQUE is a lot more important than HP numbers. Don't worry about horsepower. Concentrate on getting the most torque over the widest rpm range, especially down low, and the HP will take care of itself. You will find that you do 90% of your riding between 2000 and 3500 rpm. That's where you want the most torque!

In the future, if you want to spend a bit more, you can get the heads ported and flowed and maybe put higher lift cams in it.

You can go with the dealer's suggestions, and while it WILL perform better than stock, you won't be getting the most out of your engine.

Also, and this is VERY IMPORTANT.... get the bike tuned on a DYNO by an EXPERIENCED tuner after you change the parts. A proper dyno tuning will get as much as 10% more power!!

With the right combination of parts and a good tuneup, you can get a lot out of your Sporty. I've got an stock displacement 80 inch Evo that puts out torque in the upper 90s. I didn't really have to spend that much on it, either. I just did a lot of research and picked the right combination of parts, then I put it on a dyno every spring.

There are a lot of folks here that have tons of knowledge... i.e. HDWRENCH, Springer, GRock in particular).

Good luck and have fun!! You have just entered a never-ending journey! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much for the help. Definatly some good tips, and things I didnt know. I will definatly have to keep posting before I go to make any further mods.

ToddM, your defintatly right on the neverending journey. I just started, and already put every extra dollar and every extra minute I have into that bike. Its an addiction I just cant get a fix on. And I love it all. ?prty:

·
Banned
871 Posts
usmcsportster said:
Thank you all very much for the help. Definatly some good tips, and things I didnt know. I will definatly have to keep posting before I go to make any further mods.

ToddM, your defintatly right on the neverending journey. I just started, and already put every extra dollar and every extra minute I have into that bike. Its an addiction I just cant get a fix on. And I love it all. ?prty:
You got that right!

Before you spend every dollar on any more parts, make sure you get the MOST IMPORTANT tools that you will ever need (if you haven't already)! Get yourself the HD factory service manual and parts catalog for your exact year and model. These are MUST HAVE items if you plan on doing any work at all on your bike. Don't waste money on a Clymer, Haynes, etc. book. They are basically worthless... with only a few photos that might be useful. DO NOT use the specs or instructions in these books. They are very inaccurate and imcomplete.

Just thought I'd let you know about that before something gets broken. :D Happy trails!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts