V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I just returned from spending a few days in RL with a dozen friends, riding the Beartooth several times, including an unintended run at midnight. The night run was not fun but everything else was great. We did Yellowstone two days and Cody, Buffalo Bill's, Custer's, Cooke City and Chief Joseph then Tetons and Jackson on the way out. It was a grand 4700 miles for me.
To the OP, if I had to choose one, Beartooth...but don't do that, do 'em both.
I will highly recommend Alpine Lodge in Red Lodge. The owner (Larry) makes breakfast to order, and the place is very bike-friendly. Imagine waking up to find an outdoor Ihop in the parking lot every morning.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Here's a video of me riding Going-To-The-Sun-Road on July 10 with my aunt and uncle. I used a GoPro Hero3 video camera mounted to my helmet. We stopped at Logan's Pass because we didn't have the time to do the whole road. Hope you enjoy the video. FYI, it's 17 minutes. I also road Beartooth Hwy but only have pictures from that ride....will post later.
http://youtu.be/W8jruo-iYZk
Thanks for posting that. I leave a week from tomorrow. I'll be riding the Beartooth Highway on August 8th and will ride the Going to the Sun Road on August 11th. I hope I hit as nice weather as you did in Glacier National Park. How was the weather over the Beartooth Highway?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Weather on Beartooth Hwy

Thanks for posting that. I leave a week from tomorrow. I'll be riding the Beartooth Highway on August 8th and will ride the Going to the Sun Road on August 11th. I hope I hit as nice weather as you did in Glacier National Park. How was the weather over the Beartooth Highway?
Michael,
Here's a link to my facebook album from my vacation. From Yellowstone to Red Lodge the weather was beautiful but cool toward the top of the pass. On the way back....rain. Good luck on your trip.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201411824678087.1073741829.1248799038&type=1&l=d69c3bd0a1

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Michael,
Here's a link to my facebook album from my vacation. From Yellowstone to Red Lodge the weather was beautiful but cool toward the top of the pass. On the way back....rain. Good luck on your trip.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201411824678087.1073741829.1248799038&type=1&l=d69c3bd0a1
I bought today a rain jacket to go over my the non waterproof jacket that I will be wearing. This is my lighter summer jacket and in California it only rarely rains in the summer and it is predictable. For this ride I figured I would need complete rain gear.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I bought today a rain jacket to go over my the non waterproof jacket that I will be wearing. This is my lighter summer jacket and in California it only rarely rains in the summer and it is predictable. For this ride I figured I would need complete rain gear.
Pack some warm gear, heavy gloves, thermals, etc. Even in August you can freeze your a$$ going over Beartooth, especially if you have rain.

I hit light rain. wearing thermal u/w, jeans, long sleeve T, heated vest and gloves, rain gear, balaclava & half helmet. it was still chilly. If you hit an moisture be very careful, the switchbacks and bridges can be a major b1tch, especially on the way down.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This was our basic route........Left June 15 and returned home on July 2 for a total of 6550 miles. I have to say it was a trip of of lifetime. Saw scenery that would literally just take your breath away.
Take your L on the map and put it to Atlanta and I rode almost the same route 2 years ago!! Agree on the scenery the blue sky seems to be bluer out west. Reading this thread has me trying to figure out if I can afford getting out there this year after the divorce hmm maybe I should spread the ashes of the marriage license in the mountains.

For the riding
Yes to Beartooth,
Yes to Chief Joseph,
Yes to Cody WY rodeo,
Yes to the Buffalo Bill museum if you like guns,
Yes to breakfast at Irmas!
Yes to Yellowstone and then to Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole

I love riding out there!

·
Registered
967 Posts
First rode the Chief Joseph Highway when it was listed on the maps in an extremely derogatory way, and it was gravel road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're lucky....

I'm headed to Yellowstone and will be riding my bike on the more scenic legs of the trip. I'm going east to west. Is Beartooth Pass more scenic than Chief Joseph Hwy? Thanks.
You should be able to take them both, going East to West. They both are one of the best in that area. Enjoy!
Take Chief Joseph till it ends at the base of the Beartooth. Then up to the summit and down to Red Lodge; or turn around at the summit and head for the North East entrance to Yellowstone.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts

Irma Hotel is a nice little haunted place to spend the night....

Amen to that. The crowds in the peripheral visions are straight out of the past.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts