V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree the pizza place is good, but I can't remember the name of it.

Personally I found Red Lodge to be a bit creepy... Seems like the entire town is there simply for the tourist trade and the teenagers resent the tourists/visitors.

I didn't like the town much at all, especially after spending about 4 days there in a cabin rental.

In my mind I think Red Bud from the Chevy Chase movie.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
So I made my motel reservations for Jackson, WY and Kalispell, MT, and have two nights between them to explore the Beartooth/Chief Joseph area. We'll probably spend a night in either Belfry or Red Lodge and then head back through the northern part of Yellowstone and spend the next night in either Livingston or Bozeman, MT before heading to Kalispell, MT.

Now all I have to do is to get the others to go along with this. That should be easy. I'll just send them a link to this topic. That should convince them. We'll also spend two nights in Kalispell with the day in between doing Glacier NP and the Going to the Sun Road in both directions. From there it is probably heading west along Route 2 and then deciding whether we want to see Northern Cascades NP or just head to Mt. Rainier, where as I previously mentioned we will get lodgings, a home cooked dinner and a breakfast courtesy of the mother and father of one of us in the group.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Michael,

if you have a little time, check out Gardiner, MT just outside of the north gate of Yellowstone. It's just a little bit of a town but I thought it was pretty cool when I was there in 2010.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
To the best of my recollection there is no lodging in Belfry.
I checked and you are correct. When I ask for a room in Belfry, they all give me motels in Red Lodge. So Red Lodge it is.

Michael,

if you have a little time, check out Gardiner, MT just outside of the north gate of Yellowstone. It's just a little bit of a town but I thought it was pretty cool when I was there in 2010.
If this happens as I expect it will, we will be passing through Gardiner and probably eating lunch there. I expect we will probably go east on the Chief Joseph Highway and come will be staying in Red Lodge for a night before heading west over the Beartooth Highway. So Gardiner would be a good place for lunch.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I just picked up the bike. I had a 10,000 mile servicing so it is almost ready to go. There is a slight seepage in the clutch cable so I have a new one on order. When it comes in I'll bring the bike back to the dealer and also have them put on new tires for the ride. Departure date is August 4th.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
if it's still there.....there was a little burger joint on Scott St. West (Hwy 89) that sold Bison burgers. they had a covered outdoor patio and inside seating. maybe it was all just part of the adventure but the burgers seemed great to me at the time!!!

(just checked my journal from that trip. it's called Helen's Corral Drive-In. Bison burger was 1/2 lb. and was the only size they sold)

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
So given everything from routes to motels to weather, I think it will come to this. I will make reservations for us at a motel in Red Lodge, MT for the night after Jackson, WY. We will probably ride the Beartooth Highway east from Yellowstone to get there. We will probably only decide the next morning whether to head south to the Chief Joseph and then west through Yellowstone again, through Gardiner and ending up probably in Livingston. Or we might decide whether to start heading north and west to get back into the heart of the Rockies toward Glacier, and the have some easier days.

One of the things we will have to take into consideration is our energy. We're all older riders, three of us are in our 60's and one is in his late 40's. The first two days will be intense, 400 miles across California and half of Nevada, and 300 miles the second day getting to Delta, UT. One year riding back from Sturgis I remember the temperature in Delta being 106 degrees. I'm prepared for extreme heat, but it still takes a lot out of me and us. So we'll see how we are doing and what we want to do. Since it won't only be up to me, we'll just figure it out then. Now, I am going to make reservations in Red Lodge.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
If you don't have one already, be sure to get the national park senior pass for those 62 and older. $10 and good for life time entrance to all national parks and monuments.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
If you don't have one already, be sure to get the national park senior pass for those 62 and older. $10 and good for life time entrance to all national parks and monuments.
I've had one for a number of years now but here is the cool part about the senior pass. It not only covers myself, but it also covers my three buddies on their bikes. As it also happens, one of my buddies, the one in his late 40's, went on another ride within the last year to national parks in the east where he rented a bike. He bought an annual national parks pass. So we are well covered for not having to pay a fee in each national park we visit. Growing old and older has a lot of negatives attached, but the senior discounts are great!

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
I've had one for a number of years now but here is the cool part about the senior pass. It not only covers myself, but it also covers my three buddies on their bikes. As it also happens, one of my buddies, the one in his late 40's, went on another ride within the last year to national parks in the east where he rented a bike. He bought an annual national parks pass. So we are well covered for not having to pay a fee in each national park we visit. Growing old and older has a lot of negatives attached, but the senior discounts are great!
Interesting. I thought the group had to be in a vehicle not for a group on bikes. I've used mine when traveling with 3 others in a car.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Interesting. I thought the group had to be in a vehicle not for a group on bikes. I've used mine when traveling with 3 others in a car.
I've done this a number of times. But all the workers in the toll booths may not be aware of it. The last time I was in Yosemite, the toll worker wanted to charge each of us individually and I asked her to ask her colleague in the next window. He was aware and we all got in on my senior pass. It covers up to four persons so if you are riding two up, that counts for two of the four people permitted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've done this a number of times. But all the workers in the toll booths may not be aware of it. The last time I was in Yosemite, the toll worker wanted to charge each of us individually and I asked her to ask her colleague in the next window. He was aware and we all got in on my senior pass. It covers up to four persons so if you are riding two up, that counts for two of the four people permitted.
On their web site it now specifically covers motorcycles in the FAQ... It says it is only good for 1 motorcycle...

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
My wife and I tour solo . It's just easier . We don't let much grass grow around us . We usually don't stay more than one night anywhere . We just pick up and leave evey morning .
But at glacier we stayed two nights . I could have done another day and still not been able to ride everywhere there I wanted .
I suggest two days . Riding it both ways ( highway to the sun) like you said is a must. Its like two diff rides .
Red lodge is ok , but I don't see how some people can stay there a week . There is a restaurant on the Main Street owned by a couple that retired from Vegas . He is a Elvis impersonator and she is a marylin Monroe impersonator . Very very nice people .
She sang happy birthday mr "kennedy " to me when we she found out my name and birthday .
Her husband ran for president . Interesting people , very good food.
Can't think of their names or the name of the restaurant right now .

·
seasoned rider
27 Posts
Michael,i seen on Glaciers website today that The Going To The Sun road will open tomorrow on the east side of Logan Pass the west side is supposed to open on the 21st.Still a lot of snow at Logan Pass.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Michael,i seen on Glaciers website today that The Going To The Sun road will open tomorrow on the east side of Logan Pass the west side is supposed to open on the 21st.Still a lot of snow at Logan Pass.
I'll be riding it on August 11th if all goes according to plans. I've got a long history with Glacier. I did two backpacks there in 1984, one in Glacier and one in Warterton (the Canadian part of the park). The first day of the one in Glacier I met a couple of other backpackers who were also from San Francisco. One is still an acquaintance. In 1998 I did Glacier again, this time in a car.

Two years ago a buddy and I did a cross country ride in May but it was too early to do the Going to the Sun Road, which we had wanted to do. We were going to do it last summer and then his replacement at work flaked and he couldn't get the time off. So this is finally the year for the Glacier Ride.

I just had the bike prepped for the ride. Only thing I need now is a new pair of tires and a clutch cable, which is on order. So it is almost there. I'm jazzed about this, in case you couldn't tell.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Take and post lotsa pics, we all would like to see them. All roads you are planning on riding are great. I've been lucky to ride them, and would love to again someday. Glacier NP , and the Avenue of the Giants, Crater Lake being some of the most breathtaking. Take your time and enjoy. Have a safe ride, weather being the biggest factor. Be carefull, HRLECHK

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Back from my trip to Glacier National Park

Here's a video of me riding Going-To-The-Sun-Road on July 10 with my aunt and uncle. I used a GoPro Hero3 video camera mounted to my helmet. We stopped at Logan's Pass because we didn't have the time to do the whole road. Hope you enjoy the video. FYI, it's 17 minutes. I also road Beartooth Hwy but only have pictures from that ride....will post later.
http://youtu.be/W8jruo-iYZk

21 - 40 of 54 Posts