V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a "Shop" tell me when I asked about a leak ,that my Ultima Trans bearings were bad and this was caused the leak. They then told me it would cost more to rebuild the trans than buy a new one. I bought a new Ultima Trans. and had it put in.

Hindsight , I think i may of got ripped off. The trans was working fine. No noise. No failure....just leaked a few drops of oil . I have the old Ultima Trans .

What should i expect to pay to have Ultima 6 speed trans rebuilt?If it does have to be rebuilt?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
i would say, tell the dude. im press for cash right now, then take the bike home.
start a thread on "helping you" rebuild one.
ill and others will guid you through it. dont buy anything untill you strip it. mainly the inner primary. you can pull the seal and see the bearing.
thats the main bearing after the seals been pulled. its thats the one they where talking about.
larry

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
thats the main bearing after the seals been pulled. its thats the one they where talking about.
larry
You have narrowed the problem down to this without even looking at the bike,come on...There is no way you can say what was wrong with the op`s transmission from the description, all you can do is guess.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
no no.. what im trying to say is simply start to tear it down and inspect as you go along. the main bearing has all ready know failures. not to hard to get to.
on the other side of the tranny i would take the cover off and inspect the two other bearings and the thrust washer.

this all can be done without even going into the tranny itself.
i would also run a telescopic magnet inside the casing.

im saying these are the things i would do if a shop told me what was wrong.

just eliminating things before you take that big plung. not a mechanic, just another riding thinking hes helping another.
larry

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
got a local guy here that says the bearings are the weak link in those trannys......I'll be changing mine out to Harley bearings before I run mine.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
got a local guy here that says the bearings are the weak link in those trannys......I'll be changing mine out to Harley bearings before I run mine.
Better yet, buy a Baker and not worry.... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Out of curiosity would you know what bearing Ultima is using. It maybe interesting to know if for no other reason than reference in the future.

Dare

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Out of curiosity would you know what bearing Ultima is using. It maybe interesting to know if for no other reason than reference in the future.
Dare
Can we say *** bearings????????????????????? LOL

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
A couple different chitty ones come to mind but it would be nice to nail it down

Dare

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Nope, doesn't look like you can :redrolf: :redrolf:

More than likely they are cheap chinese bearings.
Was just trying not to embarrass our overseas competition. But on second thought, if you buy an Ultima, you know what you are buying.. LMFAO

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
funny you guys ask that. way back when i was having clutch issues. i thought i narrowed it down to the tranny. i went to harley and ordered the stock main bearing. it fit, only diffrence was the harley bearing has a black nylon ball holder. (cant think of the name).
you can see it in my pic. the ultima bearing used a steel ball holder.
i think gmr performence had a harley bearing giveway.
ive had mine for 11 months now. still worth it. feels even better with a belt drive and wider clutches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts