V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Man that sucks, I hate reading about stuff like that. I dont even know why I click on links like that but always seem to. Everyone be alert and safe out there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
They had alot going against them. Sun behind them, low in the sky, young driver traveling into sun, possibley blinded? I pray for their family and hope they didnt leave any kids behind.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wonder why they said they are not sure they were wearing helemts. NJ law requires helmets - I have never seen anyone without one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
why does ANY write up about a motorcycle wreck have to mention helmet usage?

what's the point? If you have a wreck on a bike, it's gonna hurt..helmet or not

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
01RKRiney said:
why does ANY write up about a motorcycle wreck have to mention helmet usage?

what's the point? If you have a wreck on a bike, it's gonna hurt..helmet or not
Helmet usage for bikes, just like seatbelt usage for cars I guess.

I didn't want to be too depressing, but an accident last year where I live (someone on cocaine blew through a stop w/ a cop behind her). T-boned a biker / passenger. Report came out recently the biker died of trauma to the chest and stomach.

Another recent accident happened last month (about an hour away). Some a$$hat tried to bang a u turn on a road. Hit a motorcyclist. Killed the motorcyclist and the passenger in the car. I believe both DOA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
left turner

Those left turners scare me the most! Now a days most lights are left turn on arrow only. I know the ones in my area that are not! It is really hard to read the mind of some of these people turning left on you. If they keep coming you can't avoid them going right and veering left puts you in opposing traffic. Some start drifting out but don't intend to cut across but you can't tell for sure until it is too late. Probably the bigest risk in biking.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
The two accident types that are most likely to finish a motorcylist off are the left run in front of you and the car pulling out from the right in front of you. There is almost no defense other than watching for eye contact and also watching for wheel movement before you are committed.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
newultraclassic said:
There is almost no defense other than watching for eye contact and also watching for wheel movement before you are committed.
Exactly right. You can usually tell if the cager sees you by making eye contact. Then there are those that turn anyway...all you can do then is grab the brakes and hope for the best. I don't know how many times i've had cagers start to turn in front of me and then at the last minute notice me and stop half way across...in almost every instance i knew it was going to happen based on the cagers actions...like not looking in my direction before pulling out. In these situations i'm always looking for a possible escape route should the need arise.

·
Cabo Wabo '06
587 Posts
accident

Yeah, it's always sad to read or hear about a biker crash. Just a couple out for a fun ride and this happens. Ride safe everyone, and don't get caught off guard.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
miles to go, Exactly right. You can usually tell if the cager sees you by making eye contact
That's when I worry the most, shut down the throttle and start reaching for the brakes. Had too many look right at me and pull out. It's like they look right through you.
Left turn in front of you is definiatly the most common and hardest to avoid when it happens. Last time it happened to me, I had three choices, go right into a ditch with a large culvert, go straight and hit his right front tire and fly over the hood of the truck, or go left into oncoming traffic. I was aiming at his right front tire when he heard the squeal of my tires, he swerved to his right and left me with about 3 feet of road to clear the front of his truck. I let off the brakes and glided by the front of the truck, pulled over about a 1/4 mile later to let the adrenaline rush subside and the shakes stop.
The funny part was, my only thought while I had a hand full of brake was, SH1T, this is going to hurt, I am not wearing a helment. I still did not put my helment back on though.
Everyone pay attention and ride safe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I live in a rural area and don't see a whole lot of traffic usually. I couldn't read the article without signing up to be a subscriber or something so I'm not sure what happened. I"ve heard a lot about the dreaded left turner. Is that where someone pulls out in front of you to make a left turn? Or is that you making the turn and they just plow into ya cause they "did'nt see" ya? Is this something that happens more in crowded cities with heavy traffic or is it common everywhere? Just curious..........Don

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The dreaded left tun is somebody coming at you from the other direction and turning left in front of you. Happens everywhere. My encounter was on a 2 lane highway in rual Idaho, but it is more common in the city where there is more traffic. Cage drivers have a hard time judging a motorcycle's speed, especially when you are coming towards them, that is why doing the speed limit in a city is a lot safer. Shorter stopping distance and more time to react to a cager doing something stupid.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
pasto27774 said:
I wonder why they said they are not sure they were wearing helemts. ...
Liberal media.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I wonder why they said they are not sure they were wearing helemts.
The general public still beleive they save lives, if they did not, all helment laws would be abolished.
Truth is, if cagers were more aware of there sourndings, more lives would be saved both in auto and motorcycle accidents. Training is the key, not regulations. but :beatdh:

·
doof member
719 Posts
The ones I've seen involved cars turning left in line. Folks who can't see the oncoming because of a car turning left in front of them just assume they can make it too. Also, damn teens who take too many chances due to inexperience they misjudge or panic. BAM! I try to make sure I have an avoidance path if they turn at the last second I know where I'm going. sometimes that's impossible.

·
06 Street Glide
11 Posts
THEBEAR said:
They had alot going against them. Sun behind them, low in the sky, young driver traveling into sun, possibley blinded? I pray for their family and hope they didnt leave any kids behind.

Not 100% certain that it is the same accident but read on another site where a couple had died this past Thursday. Sounds like the same accident. Unfortunately they did have 3 children. My prayers are with them.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T4T said:
Not 100% certain that it is the same accident but read on another site where a couple had died this past Thursday. Sounds like the same accident. Unfortunately they did have 3 children. My prayers are with them.
Probably. They left behind children. Both rider and pillion were 32 years old. Firefighter and ladies aux. ... Hit by a 17 yo female making a left hand turn. My thoughts and wishes are with the survivors, especially the children.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Makes me sad to hear of these things...

I agree that it's hard for a cager to judge how fast a motorcycle is going when it's coming toward them. I've noticed that myself when I'm in my car and there's a bike coming toward me, so I understand why people pull out in front of me when there's not enough room. I try not to get upset but you'd think think if they're not sure how close you are they'd wait and let you go by, but that never happens.

I got hit by a girl turning left - I had just come across an intersection - my best estimate was that I was doing about 12 mph. She turned so close in front of me that I could only jam on the brakes and wait to see what happened. Left turns are bad because you can end up in what is almost a head-on collision. It was the sudden STOP that really tore me and the bike up - even at 12 mph.

Ride safe out there folks...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts