V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I purchased a set of BDL Controls with the 3 button switch blocks....
these blocks have those micro momentary buttons to operate the controls.

I approached BDL about the wiring of these switches as they came with zero instructions and BDL sent me to "WIREPLUS" who did not respond to my email.

Finally BDL contacted me again and told me to take my bike to an Electrical expert and have this expert wire them up as BDL can not legally advise me how to wire up their product!!

..................unfortunately I dont know any electrical experts here in the middle east and need to advise the HD shop here in what I want them to do with this install.

BDL did give me one clue in their response and that is that these switches are apparently the early plunger type..................and apparently require relays to operate things like indicators etc.

My question is what relays do I require to operate the following:

Hi Beam up/down
Kill Switch
Engine On switch

The only switches that will work straight up are the horn switch and the starter button.....as these are plunger types anyway.

I have seen the Arlen Ness hi/low beam relay so can I order 3 of these to operate the above switches or will they only operate the hi beam light?

at 61 dollars each, they add considerably to the price of these handlebar controls......plus more shipping costs...................would have been cheaper/easier to have these in the kit with wiring instructions in my opinion.

All the best, Ozzie

I dont want this thread to go the way of the wheel thread please..............I only want info on what items to purchase and where to purchase, many thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey Ozzie,

I suspect it’ll be a long shot that anyone visiting this forum will be offering their experience with those controls anytime soon. I don’t have experience either, but I took a gander of the product in the custom chrome catalog and can see what they look like. Of course, there is no technical information on the switches themselves or anywhere else on the internet from Dalton Design. I’d guess you’re probably looking at 5Amp rated switches, unless you have information otherwise. Often the current rating of a switch is printed on the switch casing, so you might give it a look. At 5Amps you should be able to operate your ignition (engine kill), starter, horn and turn signals. And as you suspect, you should probably have a relay for head light functions. I believe the headlight function needs to switch between the hi and low beam such that only one or the other is on. This function could be accomplished with one SPDT relay. Sorry, I’m not familiar with the Arlen Ness relay you mention, but with any luck you may only need to address the head light issue. A suitable 12V SPDT rely for the headlight circuit might be had amongst your electrical crew or whatever electronic hardware outlets that are available. Such a relay probably needs a minimum contact rating of 15Amp. Hope this is of some use, best of luck with the installation!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help mlewis, I have been searching through the Custom Chrome catalog and found several recommendations for these "momentary" switches, however each is from 295US and up...............this would definiteley influenced my purchase had I known of it.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Ozzie,
I will be glad to help you with the setup. I have a couple of questions.
1. Do the switchs have one or two wires coming from each switch.
2. Why do you want a Engine on and a Kill switch. If you use a relay on the kill switch that lets the engine start when the power is turned on, then all you need is a a kill switch to disable the relay.
The relays can be bought at any auto parts store to do the job you want.
I could recomend a few relay part numbers and send you a wiring diagram if you like, but I need to know the answer to the above questions first.
It may take me until Monday since it is the weekend and I want to spend it with the wife.
Just let me know.
Bear

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LittleBear said:
Ozzie,
I will be glad to help you with the setup. I have a couple of questions.
1. Do the switchs have one or two wires coming from each switch.
2. Why do you want a Engine on and a Kill switch. If you use a relay on the kill switch that lets the engine start when the power is turned on, then all you need is a a kill switch to disable the relay.
The relays can be bought at any auto parts store to do the job you want.
I could recomend a few relay part numbers and send you a wiring diagram if you like, but I need to know the answer to the above questions first.
It may take me until Monday since it is the weekend and I want to spend it with the wife.
Just let me know.
Bear
I really appreciate your offer LittleBear, however, I have just ordered a unit from Zanotti Motors that is for Ness Micro switch assemblies and will use this when it arrives, it is setup for all wiring requirements for these small switches.

If I have issues I will pm you for your help, thanks once again.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just ordered them too and trying to get all the info about installing them. Yes you'll need relays, then again, you can runner thinner wires inside your bars. Don't use the controls in the stock configuration or you'll burn out the switches.

So far, the e-Box in CC catalog seems the easiest choice although it only have 4 relays. I've got the electric wiring diagram somewhere, try googling it (motorcycle wiring diagram). You need relays for 5 out of the 6 switches (the 6th already has a relay). 5A activation should be adequate to run various amperage for various components.

WIREPLUS and Heartland makes wiring harnesses, some with built-in relay boxes. Probably why BDL directed you there. With those kits, you don't have to cut your own wiring.

I chose BDL coz I wanted to run internal throttle and wiring through the riser and those little switches look so cool.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DrRipper said:
I've just ordered them too and trying to get all the info about installing them. Yes you'll need relays, then again, you can runner thinner wires inside your bars. Don't use the controls in the stock configuration or you'll burn out the switches.

So far, the e-Box in CC catalog seems the easiest choice although it only have 4 relays. I've got the electric wiring diagram somewhere, try googling it (motorcycle wiring diagram). You need relays for 5 out of the 6 switches (the 6th already has a relay). 5A activation should be adequate to run various amperage for various components.

WIREPLUS and Heartland makes wiring harnesses, some with built-in relay boxes. Probably why BDL directed you there. With those kits, you don't have to cut your own wiring.

I chose BDL coz I wanted to run internal throttle and wiring through the riser and those little switches look so cool.

Please keep us updated.
Thanks for the info buddy.....................................seems I am having a run in with everything I order lateley:

I asked BDL for info on their switches.............they replied with some nonesense about it being illegal to advise how to wire THEIR switches so they put me across to WIREPLUS but did not bother to explain that WIREPLUS made the switches and provided wiring kits.

I approached WIREPLUS and bitched about being sent somewhere else and WIREPLUS in turn sent my email to BDL because they are in bed with each other. WIREPLUS GAVE NO INFORMATION OR EVEN BOTHERED TO REPLY TO MY EMAIL.............so no help there.

BDL sent me 2 additional emails.............the first stating that I need help because the questions were so basic......................yet that DIK could not answer them either!!

The second email was to advise that WIREPLUS had informed BDL of my email and that I was still not going to get any help................so any interest by me in purchasing or advising on BDL products just went out the window and I am going to put up a thread on this in just a moment.

So when you get done with your install, if you would not mind do some pics and send them to me by email and it may help if you do an install "how to" and post it up here for all to see.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I know i am too late for this OZZIE, but did you look at the battistini ez harness....from the description it looks pretty complete........i know i am too late but tried to help ya out......I also see that thunderheart makes a kit too....good luck........

·
Registered
8 Posts
No problem on the update but it's gonna take a while coz I'm getting someone to custom make a handlebar for me to run internal throttle. Once I get my hands on the controls (sometime this week I hope), I'll have a better idea about what works and what doesn't.

The Thunderheart micro-harness (model # 4260???) may be what you want BUT it is for bikes WITHOUT taillights :spank: It's got all the brake switches but not output to the tail light :wacko: They don't tell you that, you've to read the manual to find that info. The other model they've got seems more complete (model #4250 I think). If you want to go all-in-one, the 4250 might be the best choice. It even has the run-brake-turn module built-in.

All these options do cost quite a bit, from the e-control (>$100), to the thunderhearts ($250) to the wireplus (~$400).

If you want a pict of the electrical diagram, I can email it to you when I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just received my controls. Boy are they sharp.

Now, I'll bite the bullet and admit that I might be wrong about these switches. These ones look like the old style harley switches (1973-1982) and I recall someone mentioning them before. Never heard that you need relays for those switches, so it seems what I've read about concerns the newer (aftermarket) button switches e.g. Ness petite control.

If you're daring and desperate to get the bike out, you can try and wiring one up. Just buy an OEM one if it blows :sofa:

btw, I've email BDL asking what amperage are those switches rated at. Hope they'll answer this "expertly technical" question. Unfortunately, they're closed till after new year.

If you really want to use relays because you're running thinner wires or otherwise, you can go cheap and buy normal motorcycle/automotive relays. Don't get all latching ones (hi/lo beam). You only need the latching ones for the headlight and kill switch. You should be able to get them for less than $60.

Happy holidays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts