V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering installing the EVO-900 on my '02 Softail. Looks like a pretty well made unit. Anybody installed one of these? Feedback / comments appreciated.
DLR

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Check out my website for the installation of the EVO 3000 outside bearing support plate.

Edited: Fingers were drunk.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jockeyshift,
Was the problem/malfunction caused by a MFGR's defect, (BDL's), in the first place? Is the kit they want to sell me for my TC88 '02 Softail going to need any machining to fit/work properly? (I too like the idea of the outer support bearings, and won't install one without them).

Not sure I completely understand what happened and why, to you.
Excellent photo shoot and description.

Would like a little more information and advice.

Thanks,
DLR

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I put on the BDL without the outside bearing support back in 98 right after getting the bike. Over the years and miles, the clutch hub splines became worn with normal use. With the belt being as wide as it is, it puts undue strain on the clutch basket. Putting on the bearing support, seemed to solve this issue. I have had it install now for 3 years and it is working great. If you buy a new setup the basket will be machined for the bearing support. Mine was old and this setup had not been introduced yet, so I had to carry it to a machine shop and have it milled to put on the cover that the bering support plate rest on.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for your mis-fortune....I have been educated. Thanks!
DLR

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm about to write the check for the EVO-900 that has the outer support bearings....

Shame, my new comp sprocket/clutchbasket, primary chain and Barnett extra disc carbon fiber clutch has all of 15 miles on it...Wish the ole brain had decided on the belt drive before I spent the money with HD for all this 3.37 gearing stuff.. Guess I might try the V-Twin Classifieds or there's always Ebay.

JockeyShift...What is the primary gearing with the belt drive? I'm running the stock 32 tooth trans sprocket and the stock 70 tooth pulley, (ie; 3.37 gearing now).

What will the "final gearing" be after the change to the BDL belt drive?

Thanks,
DLR

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
D,

On mine the clutch sprocket has 72 teeth and the engine sprocket has 47 teeth. BDL has not changed this gearing as I am aware of so with your setup, it should equate to the following.

(Clutch / Engine) * (Rear Wheel / Transmission) = (Primary gearing * Secondary gearing) = Final Ratio

(72/47) * (70/32) = (1.53 * 2.1875) = 3.35 to 1

Sounds like your pretty close to the 3.37 your looking for. :thumbsup:

J

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JS,
Thanks for doing the math...Damn formula was around here some where...LOL!! Really had no idea how many teeth were on each cog...
Thanks for your help.
DLR

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
an opinion on BDL

May I throw in an opinion of BDL stuff?
This is only my opinion taken from what happened to me.
I installed a BDl primary chain drive on my shovel some 7-8 years ago. The original H-D belt drive couldn't handle the built engine.
After some 500 miles I had a failure. Grabbed the clutch
for a 3rd to 4th shift (don't know rpm but rev limiter had not kicked in yet) and as I let the clutch out the lever went loose. (thought I had missed a shift).
Had to push her home. Opened up the primary and the clutch basket was dangling. The basket center had rung out from the outer portion. Inspection revealed that there is little meat (metal) between the inner area and the outer.
BDL would not replace under warranty.
I now run a rivera (so long BDL) and it has held up well.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I will jump in and say that I will not use a BDl on a build if that means that I loose the whole build so be it. I have been doing this for more than a few years now and here to say that a primo is the only way to go. The BDL is less money than the primo for a reason, you see them used on the mage billet kit bikes again due to less cost. You cannot beat a primo and I put 160+ tq to mine and you cannot make the clutch slip , abuse it all you want you may break other things but you will make the clutch fail, and talk about a easy light clutch pull, no where near the killer force needed for a BDL.

Really stop before you write that check, you will regret it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts