V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
short version

If you have ever gotten into reading about Midway add the book Shattered Sword to your reading list.

long version

Wife went to church this morning leaving me with a honey do list. Some of this chit goes by it self so here I am killing time. Anyway...back in the day when a fun thing to do was to stretch out a honda 750 and put way too many rectangular headlights on it I also got into Scuba.

BTW Scuba is one of 2 activities everyone should try. The other is flying gliders. but I digress.....

It was my dream to dive Midway or Truk back then. A foolish misadventure on a snowy slope left me with this damn left wheel that has married me to heel/toe shifters ever since (yeah there is a heel/toe on my train). just cant stay on track here.....

I read a lot on Midway and Truk and while discovering Truk would be the better place to dive the accounts of Midway were quite diverse. All in all it read like a severe clusterf**k we managed to win without real logical or at least fully fleshed out reasons why. Years passed. It became a big deal on TV at one point. You can see it on the history channel and "world at war".

Somewhere I stumbled across a review of this book. I think it was in Air and Space....anyway, if you are interested in such stuff, its a good read. Gives a window into a society that is just a tad alien to us SE Pa. types.

Soon as that damn washer stops and her rhodys are watered I am outa here

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I've long had a fascination with the Battle of Midway, a history-making turning point in the Pacific Theater. Thanks for the book recommendation. Oh, BTW, I've never tried scuba but I have flown in a sailplane. That was a rush! But if I never experience another hammer-head stall, it'll be okay with me.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mad

little chilly up there is it???
great time for a book !!!

Shattered Sword
The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Jonatnah Parshall and Anthony Tully
Potomac Books

go see your librarian

hammerhead stall in a glider
what a way to limber out your shorts on a nice afternoon
the neat thing about scuba and gliders is that if anything serious goes wrong you're screwed. keeps you on your toes.

·
8,499 Posts
little chilly up there is it??? great time for a book !!!
It's coolish right now but not too chilly to ride just yet. Still that sounds like a good read for this winter.

I had always wanted to fly in a sailplane and jumped at the chance when it came along. I was working as a reporter for the San Luis Obispo Telegram-Tribune in the early '70s, and the managing editor posted some feature assignments we could sign up for. One was to take a flight in a sailplane at the local airstrip and write about the experience. So our photographer hopped in the tow plane and took shots of me, up front, and the pilot behind me soaring around in a Blanik sailplane. The pilot informed me that the plane was "fully aerobatic," then proceeded to demonstrate with the hammer-head stall, which involved hurtling toward a mountain to gain speed then pulling the plane straight up until it stopped dead in the air before peeling off again in a sweeping dive. It was a rush, but I almost got air sick. I managed to keep it together, though, and it's an experience I'm glad I got to have.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you find yourself coming into Elmira New York I think you can relive that at Harris Hill.
Blanik huh?
canvas strap seat?

·
8,499 Posts
I don't remember much about the seat. But I do remember the pilot saying the plane was made in Czechoslovakia. Blanik makes sailplanes in the U.S. now. I'd take another flight in a sailplane if I had the opportunity, though I don't know that I would aspire to do much in the way of aerobatics. But just gently soaring around like some big hawk is my idea of a great way to experience flight. I managed to get a ride on the Goodyear blimp, too — twice yet! Being a reporter had its perks but PR is more suited to an old codger like me.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
me too

Hey machinist,

@gree: I watched all those W W II clips on T V Before it went to the History Channel.

What was it call then 'The world at war' any way, Truk lagoon if you are on vacation would be a nice dive.

You can see in the vehicles, the Japanese didn't vary the design on those Toyota wagons from back in the day.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
"The World at War" was on TV back in the late 50's early 60's. I watched 'em all in glorius black & white. I even bought the soundtrack music to "Victory at Sea".

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Tom Griffen was the Navgator on the # 9 Doolittle Raiders plane.
He lives around here and he is in his late 90's I believe.

He spoke at The Air Force Museum a few years ago and I went to hear him.

A great history lesson. It made me go rent the MIDWAY movie which I had never seen.

·
8,499 Posts
A great history lesson. It made me go rent the MIDWAY movie which I had never seen.
I've seen it at least a couple of times. Despite the cheesy subplot about Charlton Heston's aviator son's romance with a Japanese girl, it does a pretty good job of detailing how the battle shaped up, how the Americans broke the code that identified Midway as the target of the Japanese carrier force, etc. As far as I know, it didn't take too many liberties with historical fact (aside from featuring some of the wrong kinds of planes, says Wikipedia, but there were reasons for that). It was truly an epic sea battle that took the momentum away from the Imperial Japanese Navy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have always been a WWII buff.... Midway....speaks for itself. A buddy of mine is in to scuba big time. He did Truk several years ago....brought home some awesome pics and videos. Lotta *** wrecks. Would be neat to do someday. Not sure about the 20+ hours on a plane though...lol....

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I'm not a historian but I think I remember Tom Griffin saying that their bombing wasn't all that effective when Doolittle's Raiders bombed Japan, but what it did was demoralize them just because we were able to pull it off, even though it didn't go exactly as planned because they were spotted at Sea by A Japanese fishing boat.

That caused them to have to take off from the carriers about 200 miles before they were supposed to.

This caused them to run out of fuel after the bombing runs and they never made it to their planned safe landing point.
They all bailed out and several were hurt as a result of bailing out.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Normally I don't reccommend a Hollywood movie as a history lessen but from the documenteries I have seen the movie is dead on. Like Madcity referenced the subplot about Charlston Hestons son and the Japanese girl is likely fiction but has no bearing on the historical accuracy of the actual battle scenes and was probably just added for entertainment value. A great movie with lot's of archival footage of the actual battle. Great cast too with Charlton Heston, Robert Mitchum, Glenn Ford and a few more I can't recall at the moment. Well worth buying or renting.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
machinist said:
BTW Scuba is one of 2 activities everyone should try. The other is flying gliders. but I digress.....
SSI certified SCUBA diver here, I have dived with sharks-octapus-sea turtles in Hawaii, and shipwrecks in Lake Superior. You are right, it is awesome, unfortunately I had to quit because I developed and inner ear condition that left me with vertigo after every dive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts