V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today I came across an interesting situation. I went out and tried to start the bike after being out of town for a week. The thing was dead, no lights or anything when I turned the ignition switch forward. So I figured the battery was dead. I hooked my charger up to the battery and noticed a quiet hum. After looking around for a bit I put my ear up to my fuel tank and sure enough it sounds like my fuel pump is running. I turned the charger off and the hum stopped. Checked to make sure the ignition switch was off and that the Run/Stop switch was off. After verifying I turned the charger back on and heard the same hum.

Can anybody explain why this would be happening. It seams to me that the fuel pump wont turn off and has run the battery dead. Sadly my dealership is closed until Tuesday, so I have all this time to ponder what is going on.....

BTW, the bike is a 2010 HD FXDB Street Bob with a 96ci motor and about 8400 miles on it. Last maintenance performed was the 5K service at the dealership.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would suspect that you have a fuel pump relay hanging up. I am not familiar with the newer bikes so I can not say where it may located.

What part of WA are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The part that has me stumped is that I cant figure out how power would be getting to the relay if the ignition switch and the run switch are turned off. I will be contacting the dealer when they open on Tuesday and see if they can make it out to pick up the bike and have a look at it. I will let you know what they find.

I live in Yelm WA, but I use the dealership that is in Fife. I really like the folks there and they way they do business.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The high side of the relay should be fused B+.
Shutting off the key or flipping the kill switch to off will only disable the low side of the relay.
A stuck relay will draw power regardless of the key/ kill switch position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shutting off the key or flipping the kill switch to off will only disable the low side of the relay.
Sounds like it makes sense. Hopefully the dealership can get out her and pick it up and get it fixed quickly! Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Stuck relay

Sometimes, maybe even most times, if you disconnect the battery, thus killing the power to both sides of the relay, it will open and you will be ok. Still needs fixing/replacing but could allow you to charge battery and get you mobile....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes, maybe even most times, if you disconnect the battery, thus killing the power to both sides of the relay, it will open and you will be ok. Still needs fixing/replacing but could allow you to charge battery and get you mobile....
I talked to the dealership today. They reccomended that I remove the fuel pump fuse and then charge the battery. I didn't have my allen wreches so I just disconnected all the cables from the batter and have it charging now. While I had the cables off I figured I would check continuity and sure enough, there is continuity with 2.3 ohms of resistance from the positive to the negative cables. Seems like that's not right to me. With no power to the system and all switches off I donr understand why I should have continuity. I am wrong?

·
Registered
922 Posts
While I had the cables off I figured I would check continuity and sure enough, there is continuity with 2.3 ohms of resistance from the positive to the negative cables. Seems like that's not right to me. With no power to the system and all switches off I donr understand why I should have continuity. I am wrong?
The following quote was posted before you last question.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As I remember, the relay is controlled by the ECM (not the key switch).
I believe this is to allow the tilt sensor to kill the pump if the bike is not
vertical. So add the ECM to the mix of potential culprits...

-W

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I disconnected the battery and charged it as the dealership suggested. Sure enough, when I reconnected everything the fuel pump was running wide open. I called the dealership back and let them know that charging the battery didnt solve the problem. I really didnt think it would to begin with, but its what was suggested. Anyway, they are coming out to the house tomorrow to pick up the bike. After they are done and have figured out exactly what teh problem is I will update this thread.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Destination HD is a great shop to work with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Destination HD is a great shop to work with.
I couldnt agree more. I have had nothing but good expieriences with them. Bought my bike there, they have been the only ones to work on it as well. The folks in their service department are very easy to work with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok all, the dealership diagnosed it as a bad relay. They replaced it and the bike has been running great since I picked it up from them on Sat. Job was warranty work so it didn't cost me any $$. Just wanted to let you know how it worked out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Glad to hear that you have your bike back. Destination is a good shop. Post when you will be back at Destination possibly we can hook up for a ride.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ok all, the dealership diagnosed it as a bad relay. They replaced it and the bike has been running great since I picked it up from them on Sat. Job was warranty work so it didn't cost me any $$. Just wanted to let you know how it worked out.
Thanks for letting know what the outcome was. So many posts here die without knowing what the problem was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts