V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I plug my battery tender right into the stock accessory plug under the seat of my 05 FLHT?
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
No.

However, if you connect the pigtail connector to the battery, and run the plug end out, you can secure it to the saddlebag guard on either side, between the guard and the top of the side cover; with cable ties. When you replace the seat it will be nearly invisible, yet you can easily plug the line in there, without having to remove the seat. This way you can just plug it in all the time that it's home. I've done this for years and never replaced a battery.

Harris
 

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Joined
·
551 Posts
Depends what you mean by "stock accessory plug". A number of dealers around here are selling new bikes with the battery tender pigtail already installed. If you have one of those, the answer is yes, if not, refer to Harris.
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Excellent point. I figured he was referring to the 4-position Deutsch connector, but you're right that some dealers are installing the pigtails pre-delivery.

Harris
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
Harris said:
Excellent point. I figured he was referring to the 4-position Deutsch connector, but you're right that some dealers are installing the pigtails pre-delivery.

Harris
Mine came with one installed by the dealer. If you used the Accessory plug, you'd have to have the Accessory switch on. It's much better to install the plug-in on the battery posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
And as a note of interest, if you want a Widder vest, they sell a small adapter that lets you connect the vest to the Batt Tender plug. Ya don't have to plug a second or third cord.
skip
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Camera108 said:
And as a note of interest, if you want a Widder vest, they sell a small adapter that lets you connect the vest to the Batt Tender plug. Ya don't have to plug a second or third cord.
skip
I would use caution in doing that. The amperage is much higher on heated clothing and the inline fuses are different. I would really hate to see some one self immolate as they rode along.

(However, after a few beers I would pay to see someone do it!!) :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,624 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
I would use caution in doing that. The amperage is much higher on heated clothing and the inline fuses are different. I would really hate to see some one self immolate as they rode along.

(However, after a few beers I would pay to see someone do it!!) :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:
Then, plug the Tender into the vest harness....
 

·
Liberal Slayer
Joined
·
212 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,413 Posts
trackstar55 said:
Mine came with the tender plug already installed coming out from under the seat, but the battery tender did not come with it. Is the Deltran Battery Tender and the Battery Tender Jr. sold by Harley made by the same company (Deltran)? I just want to know what tender other that the harley will work with my plug.

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11&osCsid=d72682acc985308c56e3db8589f1b146

Yes, they used to be made by Deltran. Plug is the same. It's just a standard 2 prong plug available at most auto parts stores. Most any kind of tender made for AGM batteries would work with it although I like the Deltran stuff.
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
trackstar55 said:
Mine came with the tender plug already installed coming out from under the seat, but the battery tender did not come with it. Is the Deltran Battery Tender and the Battery Tender Jr. sold by Harley made by the same company (Deltran)? I just want to know what tender other that the harley will work with my plug.

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11&osCsid=d72682acc985308c56e3db8589f1b146
They are the same. Strange that they would install the plug and not provide the tender. I would ask them if they forgot.

Anyway, you can pick one up at lots of bike shops cheaper than the Harley version.
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Here is a reveiw of several kinds of battery chargers and the Battery Tender Jr. doesn't seem to be the best value.....(according to this)


http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives/august2002/magazine/article/battery.html

Looks like there is lots of competition on the market. Interesting test results.

I have used the Battery Tender + on my 97 dyna since a year after I bought it. My first battery was replaced under warrenty in Feb 98. I replaced the battery last year even though it still passed a load test. I am running a little extra compression and wanted to avoid starting problems. 7 years on a battery is pretty good in my mind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
I've been using a Battery Tender for a long, long time -- and a + model when HD went to the new batteries. I now use both on various bikes, pickups, cars (I have way too many vehicles). Batteries last and last. Work great, so they have definitely been an outstanding value for me.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
My local dealer keeps the bike on tenders when they are in the back warehouse.. They do the same thing and sell the bike with the connector installed already. The best part is they don't even charge you for it.....They get you in other ways though believe me......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I've been using Battery Tenders for 14 years and always had excellent results on my trucks and bikes. Bike batterys last me about 6 years since I have been using them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Here is a reveiw of several kinds of battery chargers and the Battery Tender Jr. doesn't seem to be the best value.....(according to this)


http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives/august2002/magazine/article/battery.html
Interesting study. The Schumacher Battery Companion was rated pretty good and better than the battery tender plus which I had been looking at. Also, it is available at Walmart for $17.88 vs $31.xx at Autozone and Advance and $29.95 at Sears. Only issue is the pigtail is a little short for my EG.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top