V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to charge battery on motorcycle inside a 2 car garage.

The heating system for the house is also in the garage.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
......if you're using the tender, yes it should be okay. Is the garage temp the same as in the house? If yes, then the tender is only keeping the security system (if equiped) from draining the battery, the cold is not a concern.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
I think the concern here is for the explosive gas produced when a battery is charged and the possible ignition of same by the heater, no? If so, it's a good question. I would think if the two are on opposite sides of the garage you should be OK, especially taking into account the small size of the battery and the low rate of charge. I would however like to hear another opinion on this

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Considered that FXDean, the Tender Junior is a trickle charger, only charges when there is discharge is detected. There is no heat produced and if left alone no arcing and gases. I am running the same charger, checked it constantly for a week (had same concern). I guess my question would be if he has the new sealed battery or the older type? With the older type maybe some gases could escape initially.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If you have an AGM battery (stock since 99 or 00 depending on model) and use a Battery Tender Plus or Junior or another charger designed for AGM batteries, it is not a problem since charging rate to so low that little or no gas is produced. At least that's what I was told by East Penn company who was making the AGM batteries for HD.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Been using the tender for the past month since my rotator cuff surgery and it's been working like a charm, keeping that alarm from discharging the batter with no fumes, hear, or party noises to keep me up late at night.... :p

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
..........then you have no problems using in your garage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
After listening to you folks I am now going to pick up "Junior". I was sceptical before. Still got 3-4 months of white stuff to protect my bike from.

Thanx for the info!!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
JFScheck said:
Been using the tender for the past month since my rotator cuff surgery and it's been working like a charm, keeping that alarm from discharging the batter with no fumes, hear, or party noises to keep me up late at night.... :p
That "hear" is supposed to be "HEAT".... :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would be more worried about gas fumes frome my tank or carbon monoxide from starting the bike with the doors open than I would by charging my battery with a trickle charger... when charging a battery, the gasses given off are OXYGEN & HYDROGEN, but with the size of the battery you are charging and the small amount of current you are putting into the battery from your trickle charger and a average size 2 car garage (20 X 20) 400 sq ft I would not be concerned ( the hydrogen should harmlessly dissipate in to the atmosphere) I would check every 2-3 weeks on your battery charger to see if it is still working... PS keep your (+) red lead and (+) post away from the frame....

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been using the Battery Tender Jr. for over two years in the garage with a car in there and the gas furnace. You shouldn't worry at all about any problems. It's too small a battery and too slow a charge to create a problem.

·
Registered
266 Posts
OK, I've given in trying to keep two bikes running over the winter months. Found a store here, "Batterys Plus" that sell the Jr. for $24.95! This is lower than any one I found on the net. Time to put one away:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts