V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 DWGI and took my battery out yesterday so I would know how in case I really needed to. It sure didn't work like I thought, anyhow.... when I hooked the negitive back up I saw a small spark. I unhooked, and the spark was still there. Key is off, nothing powered up...just a small spark. Does the pc draw power all the time? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
dusty67 said:
I have an 05 DWGI and took my battery out yesterday so I would know how in case I really needed to. It sure didn't work like I thought, anyhow.... when I hooked the negitive back up I saw a small spark. I unhooked, and the spark was still there. Key is off, nothing powered up...just a small spark. Does the pc draw power all the time? Thanks!
Sure does!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know how much power draw there is....but, you get an A+ for performing that exercise.

Most people wouldn't know how to get to their batteries until too late...many figure that's what cell phones & roadside assistance are for...I guess.

While the battery is/was out or at least visible...that's a good time to wire in a pig-tail for a battery tender....just my 2 pennies.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
if you are concerned, leave it disco'ed, and turned off,

put a ~10amp multimeter (borrow one from a nerd friend)
in line with the neg post, and you can see the current draw.

then, you pull fuses, and record the draw, and you can see which circuit is discharging the battery if it starts going dead on ya.

capacitors charge quickly - prolly the cause of the spark, but once they charge, they do not draw any more current.

hth?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts