V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to discharge the battery as I read that discharging and recharging a couple of times, can sometimes rejuvenate the battery. My battery is out of the bike and it charged up to 13.25 and then slowly continues to drop and is now down to 12.5, after about 18 hours. The battery is from a '02 low rider but doesn't look as though it was new from the factory. Or is it just not worth fooling around with? The batter won't start the bike after sitting just a week.

Thanks for any help.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Just me, but assuming you've run your charging system tests (or had 'em run), I'd go buy a H-D AGM battery and not mess with it. I'm too old to be pushing a bike.

T113

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....

fredril said:
Thanks for any help.
I have absolutely no idea, but whenever I need information, I try the experts first, here are a couple of website that may help find what you are after.

Battery Tender

CTEK Power

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
fredril said:
Is there an easy way to discharge the battery as I read that discharging and recharging a couple of times, can sometimes rejuvenate the battery. My battery is out of the bike and it charged up to 13.25 and then slowly continues to drop and is now down to 12.5, after about 18 hours. The battery is from a '02 low rider but doesn't look as though it was new from the factory. Or is it just not worth fooling around with? The batter won't start the bike after sitting just a week.

Thanks for any help.
Hey Fred,

Try this site: http://www.amplepower.com/primer/equal/index.html

These guys specialize in marine & RV battery systems and have a lot of knowledge in maintaining batteries. To rejuvinate a battery, you overcharge it in a controlled environment. We do it all the time on our boat for the batteries that run the fridge and house lights, etc. It's probably not worth the trouble on a motorcycle battery since they are cheaper to buy, I know I wouldn't want to ride around wondering if it's gonna start whenever I shut it off. Good Luck,

Brian M

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
Depends...

trooper113 said:
I'd go buy a H-D AGM battery and not mess with it. I'm too old to be pushing a bike.T113
As with anything the answer is it depends...How old is the battery?.... Is the trouble of discharging and charging worth your, $$$, time & effort?....etc.

Amount or plate area available for chemical interaction is one factor than leads to the amount of current output.

There is no perfect battery, adding any impurities into the electrolyte (ie something other than DI water) only increases the problems you will experience with the battery. Additionally, batteries will only last as long as one can continue the chemical reaction of charging and discharging...and will eventually reach EOL (End of Life)...which varies with each one differently.

Batteries develop internal faults, simply due to the chemical reactions taking place... those faults include shorts &/or reduced plate size coming from "treeing & mossing"... the build up of Lead Sulfate. Battery manufacture attempt to minimize this build up by adding glass mats and microporous rubber retainer between the plates....
Flyin Brian said:
To rejuvinate a battery, you overcharge it in a controlled environment.
The only way to remove or "drive" the Lead Sulfate build up (treeing/mossing) off of the plate and thereby increasing surfacing area....thereby increasing amps. Just as Flyin Brian stated requires that you periodically OVERCHARGE the battery...UNFORTUNATELY this over-charging actual causes some cell damage....That is one reason it must be accomplished only periodically and in a controlled manner..... one reason is because overcharging WILL create extra gassing... potentially hazardous situation..."BANG/BOOM"

Without the right equipment to monitor the charging rate...has the potential to only making matters worst....

The_Snowman said:
I try the experts first
Battery Tenders and other maintainers are good products, but once a battery reaches a certain point... (again different for each one)...it will continue a degrading trend.

With the cost being $80-95 and normally 3-5+year service out of a correctly maintained [email protected]: I'm with Troooper113.
trooper113 said:
I'd go buy a H-D AGM battery and not mess with it. I'm too old to be pushing a bike.T113
Punky
Smokey Gold & Vivid Black

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Partial discharges are good for lithium-ion batteries, not the battery in your bike. Your bike battery is not designed for deep discharge and should always be kept at maximum charge.

If you have a battery tender or similiar, try using it. But more than likely the battery will need to be replaced at this point. The HD AGM batteries are an excellant choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
road_king said:
Partial discharges are good for lithium-ion batteries, not the battery in your bike. Your bike battery is not designed for deep discharge and should always be kept at maximum charge.

If you have a battery tender or similiar, try using it. But more than likely the battery will need to be replaced at this point. The HD AGM batteries are an excellant choice.

Well said.. I would replace the battery, you will be pretty pissed if you get stranded because of something so simple.. If you take care of a Battery from the beginning it will last a VERY long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Battery Tender Jr from a HD stealer for my wife's '05 Sportster. When I went to install the pigtail connector plug, I noticed that I could not get to the negative battery terminal by just taking the battery cover off. My question is this. Can I just put the negative side of the pigtail on the negative ground lead, or do I have to put it on the battery itself? If I have to put it on the battery itself, does anyone know of an easier way to do this. I don't want to take off the oil tank if I don't have to. Thanks...

Patrick

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 05/1200C, I put the negative charger lead on the battery's negative cable where it attached to the engine. I used a star lock washer to improve the connection.

SEMJPM

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
semjpm said:
I have a 05/1200C, I put the negative charger lead on the battery's negative cable where it attached to the engine. I used a star lock washer to improve the connection.

SEMJPM
If your not able to easily get to the neg battery terminal, this will work just fine. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts