V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new battery this weekend. Should I stick with a HD brand battery or go with another brand? I did notice that the HD battery says that you may not be able to use the chrome battery cover on some XL models. I have a 94 883 XLH. I am not going to buy a battery that won't allow me to use the chrome cover.

Also, I did purchase a battery tender. What is the general rule for how often you use it? Do you plug it in once a week, once a month, or any time you won't be riding for a few days?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Battery brand is up to you. I've used HD batteries and the generic batteries-R-us variety, and didn't see much difference, although I can't speak to the battery cover issue.

I plug into the battery tender whenever the bike is at home; all winter too.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
The new HD AGM batteries are very good. Myself I've stuck with the HD brand for years and have gotten great service. Only my second battery in my '96 Lowrider and still the OEM in the '02 Ultra. Both check out very good with a hydrometer.

As fas as the Battery Tender Plus, I'm with OldMic on this one. Both my bikes are on the tender when they're at home. Might also be the reason I'm getting good service out of the HD batteries.:thumbsup:

o~\o

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I second the HD AGM batteries. You'll be hard pressed to find any other brand that will perform better for you.
If you ride the bike regularly, you really won't need to put the battery tender on it. If you store it for the winter, or go more than a few weeks without riding the bike, put the battery tender on it. Or you can leave the battery tender connected all the time the bike is not ridden if you want.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I use HD batteries also. I used a Big Boar once and it was alright but for the money I'll go with HD AGM. I personally only use my battery tender when the bike is going to sit for more than a month. I check the voltage through the pigtail and as long as it's over 12.6VDC I don't throw the tender on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. I will go ahead and buy the HD battery. As for the tender, it sounds like this is personal preference. I will most likely use it when not riding for a couple days or more.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
jamesh75 said:
Thank you for the replies. I will go ahead and buy the HD battery. As for the tender, it sounds like this is personal preference. I will most likely use it when not riding for a couple days or more.
Won't go wrong staying with the HD battery.

About the personal issues of using the Battery Tender. I've always plugged my bikes in because I, just like you've indiated, thought I'd just plug it in when I wasn't going to ride much. But bout the time I thought about plugging it in was when I wanted to go for a ride. One of those "out of sight, out of mind" things I guess. Thus my habit of plugging it in every time I park the bike. Oh, and I ride one of the bikes just about daily, weather permitting. But like you said "it's a personal thing".

o~\o

1 - 8 of 8 Posts