V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 street glide. It's time for a new battery. Anybody ever bought one from autozone?

What do you think?

Joey

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't know who makes AZ MC batteries. I understand that Johnson Controls makes their car batteries and I've had excellent service from those. Elsewhere I have read that Deka makes the Harley branded batteries. I got a "Big Crank" from Battery Mart and it was $97 including shipping and it came in a Deka box. You might check the paper work with the AZ batteries and see if that shows the manufacturer. My Big Crank has been doing very well in its first 6 months.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 09 street glide. It's time for a new battery. Anybody ever bought one from autozone?

What do you think?

Joey
I have the same bike as yours and also need to change the battery. Never bought one from Autozone. I was thinking of getting one from batterymart.com $97.95 with free shipping. Has good reviews too. The AutoMart battery number for our bike is ETX30L. Check it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i just bought the one from batterymart and added the battery tender as a package deal. man, these forums are nice.

ride safe.

Joey

·
Banned
589 Posts
Battery tender is the best money you can spend . . . Put one on the H-D, went out and purchased a second for the John Deere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i knew battery tender was a good product and wasn't sure about the battery. hopefully the tender will bring out the best of a ok battery.

i saw some batteries upwards to 200 bucks.

i haven't rode in 6 months. been busy with work. the itch is coming to crank up the 117 cycle rama flhx and get rolling again.

joey

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
I purchased a battery from Walmart and when I removed it from the box the battery was a Yuasa battery.

I don't think that there is that many battery manufacturers out there, and who ever they are, they're making batteries for all of the companies that are retailing them.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts

What do you think?

Joey
Why does your battery need replacement already?

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
If it's not staying charged you could have something on the bike draining the battery. I normally get 6 or 7 years out of a battery.

Have you taken it to the shop and had them run a load test on it? They will charge it fully and perform the test. If it fails, you can look for a new battery, If it passes you can look for what is draining the battery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Deka AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Battery provides the most advanced power and value in the industry and are made in the USA. And the best thing - its maintenance free. I just replaced one and it was a Deka ETX30L; the old one was one month shy of 10 years old. I used a battery tender from day one. The battery still worked but I could tell it was getting weak and I did not want to damage the starter. You can't go wrong for the price. Deka make a good quality battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got bit by the not having a battery tender snake. it has been having trouble cranking even with the compression release pushed. hopefully the tender and new battery should make it run.

for what it's worth. one of the exide plants in my old hometown is almost belly up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Deka AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Battery provides the most advanced power and value in the industry and are made in the USA. And the best thing - its maintenance free. I just replaced one and it was a Deka ETX30L; the old one was one month shy of 10 years old. I used a battery tender from day one. The battery still worked but I could tell it was getting weak and I did not want to damage the starter. You can't go wrong for the price. Deka make a good quality battery.
Deka does make the Harley brand battery. I'm not sure how many companies make AGM batteries, but I won't buy anything else for a bike. Not taking a chance of acid leaks like old days. I understand Harley might drop Deka for Johnson Controls, and I guess we can all understand why that could happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question: has anyone ever had a battery tender go bad on them? If so, what was the indication? Does the light stop going from red to green? Does anyone know the life expectancy of a battery tender? Now that I have a new battery, I am wondering if I should also replace my 10 year battery tender.
Thanks, Ed

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Question: has anyone ever had a battery tender go bad on them? If so, what was the indication? Does the light stop going from red to green? Does anyone know the life expectancy of a battery tender? Now that I have a new battery, I am wondering if I should also replace my 10 year battery tender.
Thanks, Ed
I just replaced my first battery tender which was 10 years old. I was getting a continuous red light and it was obvious it was no longer charging the battery.

I considered getting it checked out, but just decided it was cheaper to just replace it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just replaced my 7 year oldbattery tender, as both lights began flashing rapidly. Checked the pack notice information and decided to replace it with a new one. The new one works like it is suppose to, thus verifying in my mind the old one was broke.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks, Ed
Edd, I had to replace a bettery tender a few years back. What got my attention was no more green light. Then when I went to unplug it, the unit was almost too hot to touch.

I made the switch to Interstate batteries in my vehicles and Harley. Local dealer with a good product and reasonable prices. The local Interstate battery store here even sells battery tenders a lot less than the H-D shop sells them for. They have batteries available for just about anything that uses one...... the little round 2032 batteries for garage door openers, house alarm fobs, auto key fobs, and yes - even the H-D key fobs are only 99 cents each.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts