V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,can anyone tell me if you can relocate the battery to the outside of the frame on say a 1995 bagger like they were done on pre 1993 baggers back to 1980.I would guess that this can be done by changing body components back to what they were like from 1980 until 1992,just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
probably... you will need the bag frame peice with batt mount section.... the stock cutaway bag/or cut yours and patch..and need the side cover to match...cables etc....mine is like that 91' thats easier access to the batt but less bag space on that side

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 88flhs this evening. I got the chance to remove a lot of this just to get to the caliper. For some reason the holes in my battery box didn't line up with the caliper mounting pins. I thought about grinding the holes but thought I'd disassemble the whole mount to make it easier. Anyway, this is something I would consider before changing to outer mount battery. Your new battery mount will adjoin exhaust hanger bag bar and fender brace, the battery box actually ties the points to the frame. I couldn't be sure if you have mounts on your frame for this setup or not without looking. You also might need the fiberglass side cover that covers the battery.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess mine had holes, but they were nowhere near the bolts. I never consulted the Bible so maybe there was an easier way, but it looked like the caliper could be moved out of the way better by removing the box. Unfortunately all of them pieces had to be loosened or removed. Seems like there's probably a better way that I missed, or it was indeed a terrible design.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Seems like a ridiculous idea to me.

The reason the moco finally moved the battery inboard was to gain room in the right side saddlebag.

But looking at the OP`s all over the place questions, I wonder if he even owns a motorcycle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'll bite.. I'm definitely curious. In my opinion it's not worth the effort, but I've got stupid projects too and I'll gladly give you the info you need to tear up your Harley and never build it back up! I'm past them days myself and enjoy returning to "stock appearing" , and vastly upgraded.. When it comes to Harleys I try to put little money into them but tons of labor,.. then bang on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts