V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does a HD battery normally last? I have had my Dyna sense Nov 19, 1999 and It sometimes goes two or three weeks between starts. I am thinking of buying a new one just in case.What are your experiances.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had my battery for three and a half years now and it still starts, but I think it's time for a new one. Kind of hard starting after sitting overnight. Once on the road though and gas stops or even after work it still starts right up, but I'm thinking why wait until it won't start anymore. I'll replace it. I'm thinking of using an exide battery. Anyone had any luck with one of these?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a set up where I park the bike so I can plug it in to my Battery Tender every time I park it. Greatest thing since canned beer, Keeps battery fully charged and won't cook it like a normal battery charger.
Battery has to be at least three years old. After several days of snow and ice it's nice when I finally get a chance to go for a ride and just hit that button and she jumps to life.

·
old timer
516 Posts
I left for the 4 Corners rally with a three and a half year old battery in my FAsTBOY. I use the Battery Tender too!

But it took a dump in Colorado...I think that battery life is shaky after 3 years so I woun't go that far again.

manny

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
For as long as we had non-sealed batteries I have always tossed them out regardless of their condition after 2 years or the first unexplained sign of weakness.
The thinking behind it is that the remaining life would be worth at best 15 or 20 bucks, and not worth to risk a breakdown over when on a trip.
The new AGM batteries are much better, but on newer bikes, with EFI in particular, the battery becomes a much more critical component, so I probably will not change this practice all this much.
Under the right combination of circumstances a defective battery can take out an electronic component if the bike is ridden any significant distance with it, and in the majority of situations you will not be able to pushstart an EFI bike with a dead battery.
No different then replacing worn tires when they are down to 1/8 thread depht as opposed to running them until they are completely bald.

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I am going to replace it so as not get stuck out on the road. My experience with car batterys is they have failled after driving and not the first start of the day.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts