V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever used those "D" cell battery heated gloves before and if so how do they work?

A friend and I went riding this morning and it was about 40 degrees when we left. Both of our fingers were FROZEN before long. I had just bought some gloves too that I thought would do the trick but mother nature had other ideas. After we stopped and thawed them out once we were good from then on, however I just think that's because we shocked the nerves and weren't feeling anything.

I don't want those type of heated gloves with the wires hooked up to them because I don't want to mess with wires all over the place and I have read that heated grips seem to break quite often.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I've used the battery powered socks that take a D cell. IMO, they were near useless. Face it.........How much how much can you expect out of a flashlight battery?

Get some Gerbing heated gloves. Dealing with a simple wiring harness is better than frostbite.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I keep a a few sets of "HOT HANDS" heat packs in my bags,they work but are best for a passenger with cold hands-the bigger packs feel preety good inside a jacket's chest pockets,mostly they're convienent/cheap and can be found at any sporting goods store-Brian

http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have used them, heat packs. they have some that stick to your socks and are shaped for that. they do help. I tried some in the back of my hand in gloves and they didn't do a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Don't waste your time with battery powered heaters, they won't last long enough to do any good. Aerostich has some heated grips that velcro over your existing grips so you only put them on when you need them, should take only a couple minutes to put them on or take them off. Very reasonable too.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I used a pair last november and december. 40 degrees and up, they made the 1 hour ride to and from work doable. Around 30/35 the fingers get numb... may try silk liners in addition this year and see if that helps.

Word of advice... don't try to replace the D battery with a 9-volt... you'll get burned :whistle: Lithium 3.6 volt? Still got to give that a try ;)

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I have widder heated gloves and they work great but I got the Gerbing jacket liner for my birthday so now I need the gerbing gloves or have 2 sets of wires ... But I only use them at say 30 and lower..

The best gloves I have bought were my Carhart work gloves , soft leather and 150 gram thinsulate. The higher the gram count the warmer the glove - ski and even snowmobile gloves wont do the trick as there made for moderate activity where u produce heat. The 150 is for minimal activity , and their damn warm I can ride several hours at 35 and up without getting the numb fingers .. If u read the tag for thinsulate it will tell u the activity ( low -med -high) that the glove is made for.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
I have widder heated gloves and they work great but I got the Gerbing jacket liner for my birthday so now I need the gerbing gloves or have 2 sets of wires ... But I only use them at say 30 and lower..
Why not just change the plugs on one of the articles or make a short adapter? You can get the plugs at Radio Shack to do either.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Why not just change the plugs on one of the articles or make a short adapter? You can get the plugs at Radio Shack to do either.

shhhs.... I almost got the wife ready to buy me the new G3 gloves.. :whistle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts