V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought new batt from dealer in nov. failed two weeks ago. dealer gave me another. P.O.S. failed yesterday.

charging voltage is 14.3 at 2000 rpm.

I wonder if the regulator is sending a.c voltage to battery or something wierd, just like bad diodes in a car alternator.

think I'm going to buy a complete alternator kit from the moco, whine grovel and plead for one more battery under warranty. maybe change cables while I'm at it.

dont know what else it could be, any ideas?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Sidekick:

I assume you have checked AC voltage out at the alternator??? Did that read OK?? If that's OK, it almost would have to be the regulator.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't mention which year your bike is, but HD had a lot of regulators go bad on 99 to 01 bikes, especially the Dynas. That would be where I would put my money.

Shooter

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed Y said:
Sidekick:

I assume you have checked AC voltage out at the alternator??? Did that read OK?? If that's OK, it almost would have to be the regulator.
thats what I'm thinking, Ed! alternator dont do nothing but generate electricity in A/C form, regulator-rectifier does all the work.

It's so cold here (friggin florida and its was 23 degrees this morning) that I just dont feel like looking at it.

I'll let you know,mite be a couple weeks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
23 is very cold for Florida. woke up this mornig and it had warmed up 3, windchill was something stupid like -17.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts