V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a battery tender always and got 8 years out of my stock battery. I usually ride for about an hour but almost always, my tender indicates charging at least for a while. Rarely does the tender indicate battery charged (green light). It seems like an hour of steady riding would be enough to charge the battery or is the tender extremely sensitive to charge status??

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
BDuncan, I have the same experience - don't think I have ever plugged the BT in after a ride and the light went immediately to green; it take some time. I am not sure how long. I think you are right, the BT is very sensitive to charge status.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Mine goes to green light right away, but my battery is only 6 mos old. I notice when the battery goes down due to being older-it takes anywhere from 5 to 20 mins to go green

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Mine always charges the battery for a while. I just figured the battery tender is programmed for a little bit higher voltage reading than the charging system on the bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all responses. Sounds like it pretty common to charge a little. I had the same experience with my 8 years old battery and a brand new one. My bike always starts before I can get my finger off the start button so I know the charging system is doing it job and the battery is charged.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't even keep a battery that long..And the green light may not be comming on for a reason...I dont get why some wait until thay get stuck somewhere before they get a new battery......

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,764 Posts
This sounds a little silly, but there is battery drain time, due to lights still being on, between killing motor and turning ignition off.

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts