V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Just man up and admit you like the funky looking bastard because you enjoy the sport of sneaking up on a gas pump so the bike can get a sip.:redrolf:
Good one! You should start a new thread labeled "shark nose humor."

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did the same thing, except I went from RK Classic to RG. It is much more stable on the freeway than the RK and much more stable than my old EGC when a trailer truck goes by. Each to his own.

MarkR

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
RK to Road GLide

MarkR, I'm getting ready to go from RK Custom to Road Glide. How was the wiring between the two and did you change out the tank as well? I was only going to change the console. Thanks for the info!

Mike

I did the same thing, except I went from RK Classic to RG. It is much more stable on the freeway than the RK and much more stable than my old EGC when a trailer truck goes by. Each to his own.

MarkR

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
You guys claiming stability on the Batwing have a VERY unique circumstance. If you don't have terror on the interstate with your batwing I wonder if your paying attention. I rented an 02 Roadglide for the weekend back in 04. (I was checking out what this Harley thing was all about. My bike at the time was a Valkyrie Interstate with fork mounted fairing.) I chased down Semi's with the roadglide looking for something, anything, that would upset it and didn't find anything. Had I rented a batwing bike I probably would not be on a Harley today.

Question, ever see a successful sport oriented bike with the fairing mounted to the confounded fork? Ludicrous.

I've been wanting to convert my saftey hazard to a stable machine for years. A guy on this board converted his police EG to an RG years ago and I have his parts list. I'd like this new parts list just to compare. Good job Bluelab, I'm hoping to convert mine this winter.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Since I have a road king, I really wouldn't have to worry about any electrical except the rorward lights, with a modified batwing, it should be able to mount like the windshield What do you have left of the batwing?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I'm coming from a Road King as well and I started putting together a parts listing based upon the Harley parts catalog and pricing from Zanotti and or Surdyke (PM me if interested). I'm using the 07 Catalog and the fairing quoted is painted which isn't much more than the primed version. I also found a site that shows the part numbers for the various years and part numbers for the painted fairings, you just have to use those numbers to do a lookup for price. Price varies as much as $400 additional from the single color fairings to multi color.

You guys claiming stability on the Batwing have a VERY unique circumstance. If you don't have terror on the interstate with your batwing I wonder if your paying attention. I rented an 02 Roadglide for the weekend back in 04. (I was checking out what this Harley thing was all about. My bike at the time was a Valkyrie Interstate with fork mounted fairing.) I chased down Semi's with the roadglide looking for something, anything, that would upset it and didn't find anything. Had I rented a batwing bike I probably would not be on a Harley today.

Question, ever see a successful sport oriented bike with the fairing mounted to the confounded fork? Ludicrous.

I've been wanting to convert my saftey hazard to a stable machine for years. A guy on this board converted his police EG to an RG years ago and I have his parts list. I'd like this new parts list just to compare. Good job Bluelab, I'm hoping to convert mine this winter.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Well, everyone's experiences are different. I can't know as an absolute what kind of conditions you've ridden in to give you that opinion. Then again, you can't know what conditions I've ridden in to justify what I'm about to say. I'm not going to assume that my experiences are superior to yours and I'd hope you do the same with me.

Having said that, I've ridden in gusty cross winds heavy enough to literally almost push me off the road on my Goldwing. I wasn't going more than maybe 40 mph and it was all I could do to stay on the road. I can't imagine anything Harley sells doing any better, regardless of how the fairing or windshield is mounted. If you're riding in those kind of conditions you need to either stop somewhere or slow way down.

I'm currently riding an 09 Ultra Classic. It's my first Harley and I rented an Ultra Classic and a Road Glide prior to buying my Ultra. I think the Road Glide was a little quieter and it was lighter on the steering. Mainly, I think the aerodynamics were better than the batwing. Ultimately, I didn't buy the Road Glide because I wanted the bells and whistles that come on the Ultra. I also like the Ultra's seat and handlebars better (for me) than the Road Glide's.

Right now, I've got over 7000 miles on my Ultra. I've been in all kinds of traffic. I've been passed by 18 wheelers and I've passed them myself while riding with head winds, tail winds, gusty cross winds, you name it. The bike handled it just fine. Big trucks push will you around (as will many other things), I don't care what you ride. They're simply are what they are and we all have to deal with it but I've seen no reason to "have terror on the interstate" as you put it. My Ultra isn't effected any more or less than any other touring bike I've owed through the years. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to flame at all but when I read comments like
If you don't have terror on the interstate with your batwing I wonder if your paying attention.
I have to wonder about your relative skill level and/or how you're riding in the first place? I've not had any issues with my batwing fairing at all!

FWIW! :)
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I have to wonder about your relative skill level and/or how you're riding in the first place? I've not had any issues with my batwing fairing at all!
That was my first thoughts also. I just don't have any issues with the batwing. Hell I put 3,400 miles on going to SD and back last year with the majority of it on the freeway and speeds between 80 and 100 mph. We had head winds and cross winds. I road a good deal with the cruise turned on, my feet on the highway pegs and one hand on the bars. Sometimes I think problems are magnified because guys put a death grip on the bars because their to busy pooping their pants over being on the freeway with wind and speed. I ride with a guy who has a 05 GL1800 which has a frame mounted fairing, he crabs about getting shoved around by the wind all the time while I'm enjoying the ride. Maybe I'm just to stupid to realize I should be pooping my pants and fretting.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Well, I did about 3000 miles on trip through Arizona, New Mexico and Utah in 2006 on a FLTRI. The highspeed stability and the nimble turn in is far superior to what I experienced on my 2007 and 2008 Ultras. As my skill level remains unchanged when I switch bikes, I think I have a pretty good idea about the two concepts and their abilities and limits.
I am planning on converting my 2008 Ultra to a shark mouth because I like the looks and cash in on the side benefit of better stability.
The Ultras never got me into trouble and threshold for trouble with of a shark mouth is even higher.

FWIW

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
After an hour's ride through some twisties and sweepers, plus riding around town I must say that the RG is superior in handling to the batwing. The frame mounted faring is better balance; the ride feels more planted; buffeting is different but not worse or better than the bat -- I'm running the short wind deflector (I do not like the stock HD windshield-- bad bad buffeting); engine/pipes are quieter because there is much less fairing for the sound to bounce off of.

I suspect I may have less road fatigue with the RG, but the jury is out until after a day-long ride.

At 100mph the RG is still planted and solid, whereas with the batwing the front end felt light and unstable.

I am still running the stock SG lowered suspension and when I had the batwing fairing on I questioned if the lowered suspension affected handling. I'm confident it is the batwing and not the suspension. At the beginning of this project I considered converting to the stock suspension, but I think I'll keep the lowered shocks for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I love the batwing but after two of them I was ready for a change. The bike suits me now.

Thanks to this form and users like boston rg, FLA trio, Pastor John, rredneckn2 for the help, and to the unnamed others here who have posted about the conversion process.

-bluelab
Looks good Bluelab Heres my Streetglide with the sharknose.Did This a year ago.I miss the looks of the batwing but love the ride of the sharknose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I put 16K miles on my 06 RG and hated about 15,900 miles of the experience. I will keep my batwing on the Ultra and ride. But, hey I realize different stokes for different folks. If you like the Shark Nose than go for it, just don't ask me to telll you how much I love it. :dh:
Leon

21 - 36 of 36 Posts