V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished the SG to RG conversion today. Started yesterday
I'd say it took me 20 hours. Most of the time was fussing around getting the wiring well bundled under the fairing, wiring connectors to the turn signals. I also added HD Fog lamps, but have not yet run them through the crash bar. Saving that project for another weekend.

Was it difficult? Not if one is persistent. I am now <very> familiar with the mechanics of installing and removing the shark nose.

Here's some pics. I have many more, so PM me if you would like to see the whole sequence.

Now I have a bunch of batwing parts to get rid of...

-bluelab

Attachments

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
480 Posts
Outstanding effort and result! What did you use to guide you through this project, e.g. parts manual, service manual, other members' notes? I would definitely like to see the rest of your pics. How does it feel on the road?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can't see any pics, but it sure sounds clever. Congrats!

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Nice job -- looks great!! You'll love the Harley foglights. If you do any long distance touring, you might consider a clearview shield. I have one like yours for around town -- then swap it out for the taller clearview for touring. Makes ALL the difference.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll create a photo bucket for the rest of the pictures.

The test ride is today ... I'll report back on the handling. Before I did the conversion I installed a progressive stabilizer. That really helped the batwing. Should be even better with the rg.

No special tools were needed, just a set of hex, star and socket wrenches. The service manual and parts manual are essential. I couldn't have done the job without those two books. Spent most of the time taking stuff apart that I assembled incorrectly.

I ordered all the parts from Zannotti's. They did not miss a part from my 60+ parts order.

Clearview stock-height is on order, but I'm beginning to think it may be too tall. We'll see.

-bluelab

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Clearview stock-height is on order, but I'm beginning to think it may be too tall. We'll see.

-bluelab
Depends on your height & how you sit on the bike. I started with the stock height (sold it) & ended up with a CV +1". (6'2")

·
Big Ugly Fat F'n Yankee
862 Posts
BlueLab,

Man, great looking scooter and a super job on the pictures!

I added a CB to my Road Glide and had to take the fairing off. I swore that it was never going to be back together again. What a bear that was! Can you give us any hints on how to do it, as I've been wanting to mount some other things inside the fairing (like an XM antenna) but didn't want to go through that pain again!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buffy,

I learned this tip from this site: Remove the windshield. Next remove the outer fairing. Do whatever work in there you need to do.
Before reinstalling the outer fairing, remove the headlight. Then you can easily hook the fairing to the hangers on the radio bracket. This is a huge tip and saved me hours of frustration.

If you have trouble with the turn signal bolts aligning properly, loosen the crash bar supports, then install the turn signals, and finally tighten down the crash bar supports.

If you have trouble with the six screws that attach the inner to outer fairing, the service manual suggest tightening the ones with the worst fit first.

Practice patience.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Test ride results

After an hour's ride through some twisties and sweepers, plus riding around town I must say that the RG is superior in handling to the batwing. The frame mounted faring is better balance; the ride feels more planted; buffeting is different but not worse or better than the bat -- I'm running the short wind deflector (I do not like the stock HD windshield-- bad bad buffeting); engine/pipes are quieter because there is much less fairing for the sound to bounce off of.

I suspect I may have less road fatigue with the RG, but the jury is out until after a day-long ride.

At 100mph the RG is still planted and solid, whereas with the batwing the front end felt light and unstable.

I am still running the stock SG lowered suspension and when I had the batwing fairing on I questioned if the lowered suspension affected handling. I'm confident it is the batwing and not the suspension. At the beginning of this project I considered converting to the stock suspension, but I think I'll keep the lowered shocks for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I love the batwing but after two of them I was ready for a change. The bike suits me now.

Thanks to this form and users like boston rg, FLA trio, Pastor John, rredneckn2 for the help, and to the unnamed others here who have posted about the conversion process.

-bluelab

·
Big Ugly Fat F'n Yankee
862 Posts
Buffy,

I learned this tip from this site: Remove the windshield. Next remove the outer fairing. Do whatever work in there you need to do.
Before reinstalling the outer fairing, remove the headlight. Then you can easily hook the fairing to the hangers on the radio bracket. This is a huge tip and saved me hours of frustration.

If you have trouble with the turn signal bolts aligning properly, loosen the crash bar supports, then install the turn signals, and finally tighten down the crash bar supports.

If you have trouble with the six screws that attach the inner to outer fairing, the service manual suggest tightening the ones with the worst fit first.

Practice patience.
OK bluelab,

Thanks for the tips! (Now I just have to muster up the courage to try your tips!):hystria:

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
After an hour's ride through some twisties and sweepers, plus riding around town I must say that the RG is superior in handling to the batwing. The frame mounted faring is better balance; the ride feels more planted; buffeting is different but not worse or better than the bat -- I'm running the short wind deflector (I do not like the stock HD windshield-- bad bad buffeting); engine/pipes are quieter because there is much less fairing for the sound to bounce off of.

I suspect I may have less road fatigue with the RG, but the jury is out until after a day-long ride.

At 100mph the RG is still planted and solid, whereas with the batwing the front end felt light and unstable.

I am still running the stock SG lowered suspension and when I had the batwing fairing on I questioned if the lowered suspension affected handling. I'm confident it is the batwing and not the suspension. At the beginning of this project I considered converting to the stock suspension, but I think I'll keep the lowered shocks for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I love the batwing but after two of them I was ready for a change. The bike suits me now.

Thanks to this form and users like boston rg, FLA trio, Pastor John, rredneckn2 for the help, and to the unnamed others here who have posted about the conversion process.

-bluelab
bluelab, could you please e-mail me the parts list? I am looking forward doing an Ultra. bellamachina427 (AT) hotmail.com

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts

-bluelab
I have a stock 09 SG and it feels planted and solid at 100 mph also. Not that i ride at that speed very often - just saying. My normal highway speeds are 60-75mph and have never had an issue with the batwing. As for handling, changing the fairing doesn't do anything - it's still the same bike. I understand the need to customize your bike to suit you but you should have just traded it for a RG - would have been a lot less trouble and probably less cost.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
As for handling, changing the fairing doesn't do anything - it's still the same bike.
You are wrong about that my friend. The bat wing is bar mounted whereas the RG is frame mounted which removes the weight from the bars as well as the push on the bars from the wind, improving handling.

Great looking bike. The 2010 FLTRX should be something along those lines :)

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I have a stock 09 SG and it feels planted and solid at 100 mph also. Not that i ride at that speed very often - just saying. My normal highway speeds are 60-75mph and have never had an issue with the batwing.
Last year did many 100 mph runs while going out west and it felt just fine, most of the time was motoring between 80 - 85 with the cruise set and tunes playing. Batwing has always done what I wanted and never felt like it was ill handling. To me switching from one style of bike to the other is a cosmetic preference.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
You are wrong about that my friend. The bat wing is bar mounted whereas the RG is frame mounted which removes the weight from the bars as well as the push on the bars from the wind, improving handling.
If one is bothered by what I would consider is unnoticeable weight one needs to get a gym membership. :whistle:
Buffeting has never been a issue with my Ultra or any batwing bike I've owned or ridden. I've been caught in some pretty high winds and rains with no problems. I think when guys who ride the Road Glide keep saying the frame mount is superior than the fork mount its just:beatdh:

Just man up and admit you like the funky looking bastard because you enjoy the sport of sneaking up on a gas pump so the bike can get a sip.:redrolf:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts